rain wear

deerpassion

anyone ever have a set of "creek side" rain gear? ganders having a sale on it online and its gotten some good reviews, but im a little leary buying rain gear that I can't put my hands on first.... I miss the old basic rain gear as a shell, cant stand all this soft fabric rain gear advertised as 100 % water proof and after you wash it once it soaks through ....

Rain gear ...... always a problem. The soft stuff is exactly like you say, it isn't as waterproof as it is advertised. The hard, plasticy sort of stuff crinkles and makes all kinds of noise. And none of it is suitable for bow shooting as far as being interference-free.

Sorry .... in all my years, I have not come across anything that serves all my purposes. I either get wet, or go home, or both.

The best I've used  in many years is the Helly Hansen Impertech.  I wouldn't waste my time or money these days with anything else.

Yes, I have others.  A coat from Cabela's and one from Marmot round out the stash.  The Marmot leaks but looks cool :fie:

The Cabela's is heavy but doesn't leak B)

Go with Impertech and don't look back.....................

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=helly+hansen+impertech&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google|mec_Rainwear_General|USA&rid=20&WT.z_mc_id1=&gclid=CKbyltTJtrkCFcuf4AodNlsA3g&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have had great luck with the Tech20 from Gander. Its the soft side material, but wow, I'm running on like year 6 or 7 on it, and it's be phenomenal. I cringe at the day where I need to replace it, because as everyone has stated, good rain gear is hard to come by. I do know they've changed the tech20 line a bit, so I don't know if it is as effective.

• Like 1

If I know that I will be sitting all day and not moving I have this set-up that my dad shared with me years ago.

Find the best and thinnest waterproof coat you can find, doesn't matter what color it is.  Wear it under your camo hunting coat.  Clothing noise is muffled and you are completely dry.  Be sure to use a sock on your bow arm.

Got a decent set from Herb Phillipsons works fairly well, the label escapes me. But I remember the pants & jacket were not sold as a set. Worked out because the length difference and fit. I don't mind hunting in a little rain. All day though it can get old.

I'm not going to lie, I love sitting and hunting in the rain. Glutton for punishment? Maybe. Generally speaking though, it's a good time to be in the woods for deer movements.

I'll sit in a washout all day for that last 30 minutes when the rain falters to a drizzle and the earth is silent. Deer get up and move.

Sort of like a windy day, you can almost always, regardless of the storm/conditions, count on that 10-15 minutes right as shooting light ends where the winds die. Again, great time to be in the woods.

I've used cabelas dry plus rain gear foir about 10 years now. Eventually I find water gets in. But depending upon how hard its raining, I Can get about a half day out of it before I am soaked.

After that I suck it up til I can't stand it any more.

If we are talking about bow, I generally won't hunt if its raining torrentially.

Thanks for the input guys , I carry a tree umbrella in my pack at all times , too small n light not to ... Allows me to brave those down poors n be ready when it stops... So I guess all I'm really lookin for is somethin to keep me dry to n from the stand and from what rain hits me that the umbrella doesn't take care of ... So I think I'm gonna go ahead n get the creek side gear ... See how she does...

I am not sure on that brand. I use a frog togg. Keeps me dry, but is a tad noisy. I don't think you will ever find a happy medium when it comes to rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Frog togs are excellent for keeping u dry... When your out on the boat.... Those things are wicked uncomfortable and wayyyy too noisey for bow hunting ... I'd sacrifice a little bit a wet but over makin a bunch a racket drawin back any day.... Ur oh so right though , rain gear is a give n ttake relationship unfortunately these days ....