Arrow question

fasteddie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was illegal to carry field points while hunting deer?

I am not sure . I don't know where it would be in the Regulations . I have heard guys carrying Judo Points on arrows in their quiver . I mean , there is no intention of shooting a deer with a Field Point .

I thought it was illegal to carry field points while hunting deer?

That's an interesting thought. I don't think I have ever seen that specifically written, but if you think about it, the legal definition of what can be used for deer hunting is defined (is a field tip specifically defined to be illegal for deer hunting?). Since it wouldn't be too hard to prove that you are out "deer hunting", I think you might be able to make a case for it being illegal to possess an arrow that cannot legally be used to hunt deer. That is assuming that field tips are identified as illegal for deer hunting.

It certainly is something that's worth looking into if you are going to carry something like that on your deer hunting trips. Another thought too, is that since turkey season overlaps deer season, you might be tempted to include some of these special turkey broadheads on some of your arrows. That's another thing that should be looked at for legality, just to make sure.

Doc

this is a direct quote from my friend and local dec officer. So relax guys.

you can hunt small game during any open season as long as you have a bow certificate  as to hunting big game and small game it is no different than w/ a gun  so carrying a mix of arrows and hunting a mixed bag is legal just as an shotgun with slug and shot is legal if you have the proper license

now that air guns are legal I am thinking about checking to see if it would be legal to bring a pellet pistol into the stand with me. Freaking arrows are too expensive to be slinging through squirrels...lol

Yeah, I would say they are too expensive!!  Exactly how will you guys manage to kill small game like squirrels or rabbits with a field tip while deer hunting if your bow is sighted in with broadheads??  I know my bow shoots broadheads way lower than field tips.  I can't see how I could estimate the difference on a small critter like a squirrel or rabbit.  It would be a wasted and possibly broken arrow for sure!!

I guess one could set aside a pin on their site for field tips, but I still think that the odds of hitting a squirrel at various distances won't be that great.  You could buy a brick of .22's for the price of one lousy arrow.  You will surely pot way more squirrels with the little bullets also!

Sounds like you two need to tune your bows better, my bh's fly the same as my feild points.. :P  Honestly though, your nocking points may be a little off, as small as a 1/16 of an inch will make up that difference and not alter the feild point/BH flight.

I sure as hell am to cheap to chance lossing an arrow on anything but a deer. I sent one through the target and back stop at my dad's a few weeks ago and haven't stopped crying about loosing it yet. I would rather throw $10 on the ground then loose an arrow. haha

I stopped by the Avon DEC office on my way from Honeoye Falls to Geneseo this morning . I spoke to one of the officers and she said a certain poundage was required to propel and arrow and barbed broadheads are illegal . She said there is nothing stating that other tips would be illegal . She said field tips are legal . Amen !