Antler Restriction Poll

jjb4900

I know not everyoen hunts at the same time but if you look at a square mile as  that is 587 yards x 587 yards. That leave a chunk of land to hunt for every NY hunter of 151 yards X 151 yards.  Those numbers can't be close. Think of the areas that are taken out of play or seldom see hunting pressure. That would make the other areas even more dense.

disagree if the purpose is just to have big racks if it were because the heard is in trouble I would agree

we have had QDMA groups try to pass AR in NH a few times they have failed each time

we do not have a huge Population of deer in NH est. at 80,000 but Nh can not support a lot of deer

the ones we have are healthy & we have our fair share of big bucks across the state.

2sblbmw.jpg

262xhqo.jpg

I know I went to one of the fish & game  meetings a couple years ago & hasn't been brought up since their argument ended up basically was they want deer to be like Kansas & other Big rack states

They seemed not to really care about shooting mature Deer just as long as NH could produce Big Deer. They also wanted to eliminate the harvesting of does I do not know what group they were from just that they wanted to implement AR restictions & QDM

disagree

Those that favor antler restrictions should crunch the numbers and come up with realistic deer populations needed to support 1 buck/mile that's older then 3 1/2.

What are you asking? I don't understand. I don't remember seeing anything about 1 buck 3.5 or older per square mile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What you listed as their "wants" is NOT QDM. And I can't find anything that shows a QDMA branch up their pushing AR's. I can't even find them as a driving force in the AR's that were in place the the A unit that was 2 points on a side. You sure they wer QDMA?

I know it isn't QDM That is what they called it why I went & all they talked about was basically wanting Racks like midwest why it was shot down it hasn't come back up in a couple years I agree with WNYBuckHunter I think they were just a bunch of Proclaimed QDMA hunters

This is why I am leary when AR's & QDM come to the table I want the Facts on why like I said if it is for the good of the herd  

AS far as unit A I am not sure they still do an AR up there I don't think it worked well so they shortened the Hunting season instead

I don't think F&G would ever put an AR for the whole state of NH unless there was drop in population

I don't think F&G would ever put an AR for the whole state of NH unless there was drop in population

I would take a look at teh QDMA website. It still seems like you aren't understanding it or the difference. Also an AR really won't deal with anything to cause a population increase over a quick bubble becasue of limiting 1.5 year old buck harvest. substantial and long term population increases can only take place by increasing the Doe population. This can happen by limiting their take. Could be limiting permits, shortening a season, things like that. The only thing the AR's are an attempt to do is allow more bucks to make it through to a more mature age structure.

"What are you asking? I don't understand. I don't remember seeing anything about 1 buck 3.5 or older per square mile?"

I assume AR 's would be used for a more mature herd and to help bucks reach a mature age?

In order to get the mature deer you need young deer.  How many young deer do you need to get the mature deer that the ar people want?

I do understand I am saying is that the group that was pushing this was from QDMA

but all they talked about was not taking any does & would like AR's in place for the entire state they wanted NO DEER under 6 points taken don't really care it didn't happen & the first deer that is in range with no spots are going in the freezer

I know it isn't QDM That is what they called it why I went & all they talked about was basically wanting Racks like midwest why it was shot down it hasn't come back up in a couple years I agree with WNYBuckHunter I think they were just a bunch of Proclaimed QDMA hunters

This is why I am leary when AR's & QDM come to the table I want the Facts on why like I said if it is for the good of the herd  

AS far as unit A I am not sure they still do an AR up there I don't think it worked well so they shortened the Hunting season instead

Stop putting the A at the end of QDM unless you are talking about the organization lol. Drives me batty because a great organization gets dragged through the mud of every wanna be manager's selfish goals.

If you want to know what the actual QDMA stands for, rather than assume, check their website www.QDMA.com . Lots of great info there.

I do understand I am saying is that the group that was pushing this was from QDMA

but all they talked about was not taking any does & would like AR's in place for the entire state they wanted NO DEER under 6 points taken don't really care it didn't happen & the first deer that is in range with no spots are going in the freezer

SO they were from a QDMA branch?

That is why I was putting the A at the end that is what they said

not trying to drive you batty They said they were from there not even going to say their name LOL

doesn't matter Like I said could really care less I will hunt by the rules as I always do till they drive me out of the sport

That is why I was putting the A at the end that is what they said

not trying to drive you batty They said they were from there not even going to say their name LOL

doesn't matter Like I said could really care less I will hunt by the rules as I always do till they drive me out of the sport

Well who ever they were if they said the primary goal of QDM is for bigger racks, they don't know their A$$ from their elbow. When all the other components are implement correctly and the results show, that MAY be a benefit.

• Like 1

"What are you asking? I don't understand. I don't remember seeing anything about 1 buck 3.5 or older per square mile?"

I assume AR 's would be used for a more mature herd and to help bucks reach a mature age?

In order to get the mature deer you need young deer.  How many young deer do you need to get the mature deer that the ar people want?

AR as it pertains to current use in NY is to move 75% of 1.5s to 2.5.

3.5 is also not mature, although I consider it "mature" for NY standards, lol.

• Like 1

Disagree

I believe it should be a choice. If you want to do it on your property fine. Or practice it yourself fine. I do myself but I took many small bucks over the years that I am quite happy with and ate every last one up good! Hate to take that away from anyone as I think it takes away from our sport.

I believe, and have read reports stating, that trends are changing anyway and this is happening without forced regs but by choice.

Just not fast enough for those who think NY is going to be Pike County!

Probably not QDMA, just self purported "QDM" groups. Most people refer to anything QDM as QDMA

Exactly.. The QDMA deals mainly with deer management on private land and does not have an agenda to push ARs statewide anywhere. The focus primarily on education not legislation.

• Like 1