Antler Restriction Poll

jjb4900

This state could be an Illinois, or Kansas kind of buck state if managed properly.  We have the land needed for it but with hunters who have itchy trigger fingers we don't get as many big mature bucks because they are shot as spikes and crotch horns.  Try not to think of it as the state telling us what we can and can't do but think of it as them trying to help us grow more mature deer.  I mean why would they care if we shot spikes or not, they are trying to get a mature and healthy herd. 

Please. NY will NEVER be Illinois, or Kansas. There are too many variables that any type of legislation will simply, not change. The only land in NY that comes close to what you have in the midwest, is the fingerlakes/western NY region, and even here, there are not the large, continuous, parcels of land you need for deer to hide out in. Even the largest Ag tracts here are no comparison to the midwest. There are also 3x or more hunters in this state, so the pressure is much greater.

Im not saying NY doesnt have big deer, because we do, but its simply no comparison between here and the states you are talking about, and it never will be. I am also not saying management isnt good for the herd, but fooling yourself into thinking you can create booners or P&Y bucks behind every tree in this state is just not realistic.

• Like 4

DISAGREE.

learn how to hunt, spend time in the woods, move locations often and you'll get a large buck.  I've gotten many on public land.

No need to restrict others (young, old, disabled, meat hunters) from hunting just so you can brag about what a good woodmen you are by showing off a deer head on the wall.

if you really want a big deer to brag about go on a paid high fence hunt and then lie to your friends about how you tracked it during a blizzard, fought a couger and pack of coyotes while dragging it out

• Like 1

agree if needed for certain WMU. Disagree if population is healthy. Not so strong in either category. Would be just find if they did go into play.

Nope.  I'll take a nice fat doe for my freezer every time over a buck, especially a big one.  Of course, that's probably the reason I haven't filled a buck tag in ten years, and most likely won't in the near future as long as I can get DMPs

I can't believe this was only posted once. I love the "meat hunters". Nothing wrong with it, we eat tons of venison in my house; but I always ask this question. 1.5 year old great tasting doe standing next to a crappy tasting mature 12 point... you still shoot the doe? Not to mention the biggest bucks I've shot have been on the tails of the doe I let walk. Hold your finger off the trigger and there just might be a nice buck behind her.

Disagree.A spike buck can be a trophy to some hunters. My first deer was a 4 pointer and I was elated at the time.I think the decision should be left up to the hunter.

Very important point, and why if they ever did ARs I would not impose on hunter under the age of 20.

Disagree, because I still only see does and spikes. Where are the rack bucks?

someone is shooting your spikes... and they never get to big racks :)

Edited by Belo

Disagree. But understand peoples frustration when they hunt aread where its all small private land and everyone around you shoots little bucks.

Is it me or has the makeup of the people on this forum swayed noticeably more to the disagree side, say from where we were 2 years ago.

NY Antler good post above. As far as regs and seasons Our opportunities as hunters have increased over the years. I often get the feeling that a lot of people don't appreciate it and sorta take it for granted. Like some dudes always think things could be better somehow.

Disagree. But understand peoples frustration when they hunt aread where its all small private land and everyone around you shoots little bucks.

Is it me or has the makeup of the people on this forum swayed noticeably more to the disagree side, say from where we were 2 years ago.

I have started to look at things a bit differently for me. The mind set of "If I let it go it will get shot by someone else" I thik is flawed. NY Antler is very good at these conversations and he an I had several and hit helped cement my views. Every day that 1.5 year old buck lives he gets smarter. Every day he lives he gets better at evading and he becomes a tougher target. He MAY NOT get shot by the guys next door, He MAY get shot by someone else. One thing is certain. If YOU shoot him It takes his chances to zero of making it through. If only one in 10 of the ones we CHOOSE to pass on avoid the gauntlet and make it through that is a 10% return on our efforts and I have seen years that I would be doing cartwheels if my 401k had those results.

It's ok if people decide not to shoot 1.5 year olds. I have no problem with whatever people decide to do for their own personal goals. We also have people that believe that 2.5 year olds should not be shot. I support their individual choice. There are others that keep wanting to push the age limit even higher. As a personal goal, I can't fault them. I actually believe there are hunters that would just as soon not even shoot anything, and that personal view is also respected by me. But none of that is the same as mandating these goals for everyone. That's a whole different kettle of fish. That's the point where we have to get serious about real, tangible, and significant reasons to put that into law. Because whether we like it or not, there are some real reasons for not taking that choice out of the hunter's hands.

• Like 5

2 things.

1. this forum is very "pro hunter choice" which is fine I suppose and it's hard to argue with when this State is notorious for taking away our rights. Although what's popular is not always right.

2. there a few very outspoken members that seem to have followers. Disagree with them and you're in for a ride.

2 things.

1. this forum is very "pro hunter choice" which is fine I suppose and it's hard to argue with when this State is notorious for taking away our rights. Although what's popular is not always right.

2. there a few very outspoken members that seem to have followers. Disagree with them and you're in for a ride.

LOL at 2. This place and people is not a cult or something.

Every has their say, even you.

• Like 1

Disagree

With limited time to hunt l don't want mandates on what I can shoot. With that said hunters at my camp get to shoot a small buck if it's their first.

That goes for gun and bow. If your a seasoned hunter I ask that you pass on the small ones unless it is your last hunt for the year and you have 0 venison. 

LOL at 2. This place and people is not a cult or something.

Every has their say, even you.

wasn't a shot at you. I see it on a lot of forums. Those with a lot of posts or some credibility gather blind supporters of ALL their opinions, because they have demonstrated competence in the past. Proving you know your stuff in some areas does not make you all knowing, that was all I meant.

This state could be an Illinois, or Kansas kind of buck state if managed properly. We have the land needed for it but with hunters who have itchy trigger fingers we don't get as many big mature bucks because they are shot as spikes and crotch horns. Try not to think of it as the state telling us what we can and can't do but think of it as them trying to help us grow more mature deer. I mean why would they care if we shot spikes or not, they are trying to get a mature and healthy herd.

. This state cannot be likeKansas or Ohio or Iowa. Land parcels are too small, hunter numbers are to high. Period, so unless 90%of hunter are going to buy licence and know they will be eating tag soup stop deluding yourself. Can we have bigger bucks yes, older more mature deer, yes. But average parcel of recreational land is 30 acres here 50 if your lucky.i Am not going to post total hunter numbers per state you can look them up yourself but being realistic is what we should be. 130 - 140 in bucks will be about best we can get.. unless 90% you included are willing to eat your tag for a chance at a big one every 5 years or so.

X2 on what said above. And we were happy just to get a buck and all were happy when One of the group got a Doe, that we shared the meat.

As they say the more you get the more you want and You can make some of the people happy some of the time But not all of the people All of the Time.

And I still say I Agree, because of how the heard has been depleated in my area.

. I don't see where protecting buck will restore the herd in your area if its depleted..doe are the ones that have fawns... don't shoot doe There then!!
  • Like 1

disagree mostly.

Since I see a couple deer per month killed in traffic, I don't understand why they have an AR zone near me.

I do not want an old monster buck that is tough to chew, let alone drag out by myself.

Getting meat to reduce the grocery bill is my priority - doe or buck.

If it has spots or is the size of a large dog, it gets a pass until next year.

If it is a massive deer that looks like it would kill me by dragging it out myself, it gets a pass permanently.

Some of the public land by me is split, part is AR and the rest isn't.

Have not hunted at all in any season in the AR zone.

My son is 16 and has not gotten a deer yet.  Since he is not on a junior license at this point, AR's would now apply to him.

Due to his school activities he only gets out 3-4 times during deer season, so we avoid the AR zone to keep his options open.

We aren't looking to fill all of our tags, just get a couple deer to fill the freezer. But that is how I was brought up.

Simple for instance, we have 23 acres. Hunted this and surrounding properties for years, those properties get sold off and we are a big group on that lonely parcel surrounded by a lot of hunters. Now we want a lease so we won't get into trouble if we run into another hunter. The pressure is insane. If we were able to own larger parcels of land for a cheap price and not crazy taxes, then people can make their own decision and not have to be forced into waiting it out for an 8. Please don't kid yourself, New York is an average, nicer buck state. Not a Pope and Young state.

. This state cannot be likeKansas or Ohio or Iowa. Land parcels are too small, hunter numbers are to high. Period, so unless 90%of hunter are going to buy licence and know they will be eating tag soup stop deluding yourself. Can we have bigger bucks yes, older more mature deer, yes. But average parcel of recreational land is 30 acres here 50 if your lucky.i Am not going to post total hunter numbers per state you can look them up yourself but being realistic is what we should be. 130 - 140 in bucks will be about best we can get.. unless 90% you included are willing to eat your tag for a chance at a big one every 5 years or so.

This puts it in perspective, or should.

hunter_density_574_421_s_zpsd452ea89.jpg