Help!!

YFKI1983

My bow is all set. Shooting great. I just went to practice some shots with my hunting jackets on and, with my heavier one the string hits the jacket. It sounds like a gun going off and my shots are low, right, left, high,.. I put on my lighter jacket and it was still hitting the jacket, just missing low an inch or 2. I put rubber bands on the sleeve and it was still hitting the sleeve a bit but not affecting the shot at all. There's gotta be a better way...and I think I'll freeze if I wear the lighter jacket in November.. What do I do. Other than the obvious of buying another jacket which I don't want to do...

My bow is all set. Shooting great. I just went to practice some shots with my hunting jackets on and, with my heavier one the string hits the jacket. It sounds like a gun going off and my shots are low, right, left, high,.. I put on my lighter jacket and it was still hitting the jacket, just missing low an inch or 2. I put rubber bands on the sleeve and it was still hitting the sleeve a bit but not affecting the shot at all. There's gotta be a better way...and I think I'll freeze if I wear the lighter jacket in November.. What do I do. Other than the obvious of buying another jacket which I don't want to do...

Get an arm guard for bowhunting and strap it over your jacket sleeve.

This also happened to me when I started bowhunting. I had to adjust the way I hold my bow twisting my arm a bit. never hit my arm or jacket now.

Edited by Catskill Hunter

Get an arm guard for bowhunting and strap it over your jacket sleeve.

This also happened to me when I started bowhunting. I had to adjust the way I hold my bow twisting my arm a bit. never hit my arm or jacket now.

Have to get a guard for now I guess. I don't know if I should adjust how I'm holding the bow this close to season.

Do you ever hit your arm with the string under normal circumstances...I can shoot just fine with a light jacket on without any modifications. Are you certain your draw length is correct and not a hair long?

It feels good. I don't think its long, I was measured with the bow when I bought it this summer. I did hit my arm once or twice but not often.

Try holding the bow in your palm and don't grip the bow (causes it to torque)...your knuckles should almost be upward. This should also kick that elbow outward slightly. I'm not telling you to tweak your form right before the season, but in the future this may help. You could also cut a long sock to make a arm guard, or just buy one haha.

A problem I had was the way my arm was rotated so instead of my forearm going vertical it was horizontal, if that makes any sense.  Someone showed me what I was doing and to cure it I pick up the bow buy the grip palm up like doing a curl, then instead of rotating your wrist to turn the bow upright, turn your arm.

I still wear an armguard whenever I'm wearing a jacket anyway.

you can shoot open handed or closed, and your still gonna hit your arm every time, if you have your elbow turned in. grip your bow with ahtever style and pivot your elbow OUT away from the drawn bow..alot of people that hit themselves are locking out their bow arm which causes the elbow to rotate towards the bow when its drawn

I have no problem shooting my bow with a t-shirt on ,as soon as my hunting clothes go on ,my sleeve hits the string . I bought one of the neoprene stretchy knee brace things to put over my sleeve , it has a hole sewn in it that is supposed to go over your knee cap but it allows your elbow to fit in it , it cover 3/4 of my arm and holds my sleeve down nice and snug but is still flexible.

Edited by Jeremy K

Lets get something straight. Unless you have a ridiculously long dloop then dloops do not increase draw length. Your anchor point is set by the string. For me I have 2 main points of contact the fob on the corner of my mouth and the string on the tip of my nose. Those two points never change even if you adjust your release dloop etc. However you either they measured you incorrectly or your holding the bow wrong. I slapped myself while getting used to ky new elite due to the skinny grip. Adjusted my grip and good to go now.

with bending your elbow a bit you'll technically shorten your draw length a bit, which with a bit of practice is easy to adapt to just drawing it that same bit back....so basically you would still be shooting the same length, just shifting it backwards a bit....sounds more awful than it is to do, and much easier to see in person to completely understand

with bending your elbow a bit you'll technically shorten your draw length a bit, which with a bit of practice is easy to adapt to just drawing it that same bit back....so basically you would still be shooting the same length, just shifting it backwards a bit....sounds more awful than it is to do, and much easier to see in person to completely understand

I did this when my DL was too short. With a DL that is too long or just right, it would be difficult to do this. Was fun experimenting and learning on paper.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

If you don't mind me asking,.  What shop measured you?  You could have been mis-measured.  I'll bet your draw is too long.

garden state bow and reel.... I will get it checked out, only thing is i dont know if I want to change it so close to season....Would I have to re sight everything. Ive never changed draw length on a bow so I dont know how that would effect my shooting+

garden state bow and reel.... I will get it checked out, only thing is i dont know if I want to change it so close to season....Would I have to re sight everything. Ive never changed draw length on a bow so I dont know how that would effect my shooting+

Might make it better, mine got better when I got my draw shortened.

Many reasons for string/arm interference.

1. Draw length is too long, and you are stretching too much to reach your anchor. This is not a good time to be messing with that one.

2. Material for hunting coat is too bulky or too many layers of clothing. Buy an armguard that goes from wrist to upper arm..... or ..... Use an ace bandage (I think that's what they are called)..... or ..... I have also heard of using a length of nylon stocking to restrain the sleeve.

3. Shooting stance is too open. Turn into the target more. Not a real easy thing to change at this point with the season only a couple days away.

4. As has been mentioned, the elbow is turned in. Practice turning it out.

Most of these things are very ugly to discover at this stage of the year and can take some time to retrain shooting stance or style or modify your bow's draw length. Here is some potentially worse news. When the temperature starts dipping into the lower 20s or upper teens, you may be forced to pile on even more layers of clothing. So it is wise to check out that stuff as well or towards the end of the season you may have to address this problem again.