30-06 VS. .270

Guest FrostyLeaves

Hey Ethan, when I was 14 I picked out an 06. I was 5' 11" and 180 lbs and it was to much to start with, even with shooting quite a bit of clay pigeons with the shotguns. I really didn't get accustomed to the gun until about 18. I went out and bought a 30-30. There are more differences in the way the stock fits you than the debate over which of the 270 or 06 has more or less recoil. I would like to suggest the 260 rem or 7-08 just so you don't pick up bad shooting flinches especially if you use factory ammo. But, if you decide to start learning (recommended) to reload THEN THE 30-06. You can take a softer bullet like the Speer 150 or 165 gr BT and load it to about 2600 to 2700 fps and the recoil will be quite manageable (just a touch over a 30-30), lower than the 308 factory. Then when you get more familiar with YOUR rifle you can crank it up to max loads. Just for example, take a look at the ballistics of pushing just a regular standard decent bullet like the Speer 165 gr BT 2900 fps (maybe not the best bullet for under a 100 yd shooting at those speeds but the aforementioned speeds) and then of the 270 different types of factory ammo that you would get at a walmart like establishment. In that case the 270 isn't flatter or really faster and doesn't hit as hard and really doesn't have that less of recoil with decent stock fit, especially if you can't hit a deer at 300 yards. Throughout the years with the 06 in overall shootings in different scenarios you will have less tracking. Just for the heck of it hopefully without getting pressure to change your choice of gun from outside influences what is your choice of weaponry. I really don't mean to throw you off with the 30-06 / 270 decision with the 260 or 7-08 but if you take a thought about those then maybe the gun that you had in mind might be of to long of action for those chamberings and something of the like could be thought of.

Hey Ethan, when I was 14 I picked out an 06. I was 5' 11" and 180 lbs and it was to much to start with, even with shooting quite a bit of clay pigeons with the shotguns. I really didn't get accustomed to the gun until about 18. I went out and bought a 30-30. There are more differences in the way the stock fits you than the debate over which of the 270 or 06 has more or less recoil. I would like to suggest the 260 rem or 7-08 just so you don't pick up bad shooting flinches especially if you use factory ammo. But, if you decide to start learning (recommended) to reload THEN THE 30-06. You can take a softer bullet like the Speer 150 or 165 gr BT and load it to about 2600 to 2700 fps and the recoil will be quite manageable (just a touch over a 30-30), lower than the 308 factory. Then when you get more familiar with YOUR rifle you can crank it up to max loads. Just for example, take a look at the ballistics of pushing just a regular standard decent bullet like the Speer 165 gr BT 2900 fps (maybe not the best bullet for under a 100 yd shooting at those speeds but the aforementioned speeds) and then of the 270 different types of factory ammo that you would get at a walmart like establishment. In that case the 270 isn't flatter or really faster and doesn't hit as hard and really doesn't have that less of recoil with decent stock fit, especially if you can't hit a deer at 300 yards. Throughout the years with the 06 in overall shootings in different scenarios you will have less tracking. Just for the heck of it hopefully without getting pressure to change your choice of gun from outside influences what is your choice of weaponry. I really don't mean to throw you off with the 30-06 / 270 decision with the 260 or 7-08 but if you take a thought about those then maybe the gun that you had in mind might be of to long of action for those chamberings and something of the like could be thought of.

I believe the factory reduced recoil loads are about the parameters you suggested for the 06

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

270 is not necked down 30-06. It's parent cartridge was the 30-03. It was the short lived predecessor to the 30-06 and I believe one version was also rimmed.

Actually if im not mistaking it's the 30-03 that fathered the 30-06 and then the 270 was based on the 30-06 round. I could be wrong going to do a quick google search lol.

• Like 1

A Perfect Pair? (.270 Win. and .30-06)

By Chuck Hawks

Okay, I admit, its been fun debating the relative superiority of the .270 Winchester and the .30-06 Springfield since the .270 first challenged the .30-06 back in 1925. That long running controversy has helped to propel these two cartridges to the top of the charts. (There is no such thing as bad publicity, right?) The .30-30 may be the best selling big game cartridge of all time, but the .30-06 is the best selling big game cartridge for bolt action rifles, and the .270 Winchester is number two.

Both can trace their roots back to the obsolete .30-03. The .30-06 is based on a slightly shortened version of that case, and the .270 is based on a necked-down .30-06 case. The shoulder angle is identical and so is the powder capacity to the base of the shoulder. Both require a long, but not magnum length, rifle action.

ok my 2 cents.  You will not find a lot of difference between the 2.  I personally would pick the 270.  I am a fan of lighter bullets and frankly the deer bear or up to a moose will not know the difference.  The bigger factor as in any caliber is shot placement.  You can get a variety of bullets for the 270 also.  I have loaded 100 grain varmint loads up to 150 grain deer/bear loads. My personal preference is the 130 grain, which is deadly on deer bear etc. Find a gun that fits you well, and that will make a big difference also. Good luck and safe hunting.  

Guest FrostyLeaves

So after all this and posting about caliber size and asking about opinions on rifles i have completly gone in a different direction and decided on the 30-30 marlin 336

So after all this and posting about caliber size and asking about opinions on rifles i have completly gone in a different direction and decided on the 30-30 marlin 336

Great round as well. I would suggest checking out the leverevolution rounds from Hornady for it. much better ballistics than the soft point round nosed.

Just a bit more confusing info for you Ethan not that I want to since your trying to pick your first deer rifle, but in general the 30-30, (which is not really a bad choice), if you are really trying to get real accuracy for it ( less than 3") out to and just pass a hundred yards might be difficult with most factory ammo offerings. That is if your gonna try to bit a stickler about how you want to shoot. Your just trying to grasp info and make less experienced decisions at this point and you will still ponder when your 60  :)  :read: . There are hunters of all types and each has their own personal preference on how they hunt and what type of terrain they hunt and what types of shots they will take. So in essence you are so to say just starting your own personal data base for your particular style of hunting. If you have good tracking ground and keep your stands where shots don't get much further than a hundred yards then it is a decent standard to learn with. Maybe bubba could elaborate a bit more on the subject, he has a touch of grey in his beard. Culvercreek hunt club also mentioned the availability of reduced loads for your initial inquisition.

Guest FrostyLeaves

I completely understand what you're saying and it is something i should consider but when i said i was choosing the 30-30 it was not due to the caliber it was just because i have shot and used a marlin 336 before and i honestly fell in love with it but initially i didnt want to choose that rifle because my uncle and grandfather both have it... After talking them and joking around a bit we all decided that if i like that rifle and it is one of the rifles that they have used and still do than i its what i want then i should get it. It came away from decidin on what caliber than a rifle and bought that most of those caliber a can all get the job done so i should pick a rifle than caliber. I do appreciate the point you made though

Biz let's be real. You keep pushing this round and YOUR gun every time a thread comes up. The kid didn't ask what gun could he buy that would allow him to be way over powered and over priced for his first gun. Quit beating your chest and grabbing your crotch to try to impress us all with how long your shots have been and what a great gun you have. We have all heard it soooooo many times. Especially in the threads with the new hunters coming in, just try to help them and leave the feather strutting cock dance at the door.

Culver, you da man!! 'Bout pissed myself laughing!!  :biggrin:

Interestingly enough I once heard someone say a 270 necked down from a 30-06 case is just a waste of a great cartridge. I never wanted wanted to like 30-06 when I was a kid because it was all my father, uncles and brothers wanted to talk about. When I got older and smarter I wish I never chased a bunch of substitutes just to get back to the 06 myself. I wish I had all that $$$ again. I think if my safe had a 243, an 06 and a 35 I'd be just fine.

When I was a young teenager getting into hunting, 30-30 & 30-06 were considered THE deer calibers.

I'm partial to the 30-06 myself. I have no doubt that anything I shoot in the chest or shoulder with that shell is going to be DRT. Shells are easy to find, and I'd feel confident taking a 30-06 on a moose or elk hunt. But, I'm getting old & set in my ways I think, and don't feel the need to try something new. I've noticed a lot of the younger guys are going with .270 these days, they can't ALL be wrong. :)

Culver, you da man!! 'Bout pissed myself laughing!! :biggrin:
I'd like to give an honorable mention to the .300 savage round. (Not as easy to find)Culver hit the nail (and Biz) on the head though.
I'd like to give an honorable mention to the weatherby 7MM mag. My Browning bps pump shotgun shoots more accurate at 75yds than some of these cheap guns suggested.Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Biz your saying a savage is a cheap gun? Apparently you have never shot one. I know people searching to find savage 110 30.06 rifles due to there accuracy and accuracy alone. Or do you just like digging holes all the time?

The .300 savage is near bottom of the totem poll in accuracy for a .300, couldn't even hold the jock strap of a .300 wby mag. Facts are facts.

I was done with the thread until my name was brought up again days later.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

270 is a great caliber. And for a 15 year old it will have a little less recoil. Very enjoyable to shoot. Plenty of knock down power.

that's my thinking too. Although if you ever wanted to hunt something bigger like big bear you'd be better off with the 30-06, not to say the .270 isn't fine for gear but the .270 is better for predators too. IDK, I have ego issues and always assume bigger is better :) Personally I like the .308.

Maybe pick up a .270 and save up for a .308 or bigger later in life. You don't need it all right now. Rifles can be pretty affordable, especially used.

Edited by Belo