I didn't even get to take the treestand off my back...

Sogaard

Yesterday, I finally got a morning to go hunting.  I headed up to my hunting spot as early as I could manage (2 hour drive) and got there about a half hour before sunrise.  I changed as quickly as I could and headed into the woods.  I get about 50 feet from the tree I planned to climb when I heard something moving through the woods beyond my tree.  I froze when I saw a doe walking by at about 40 yards.  It was obvious that she had heard me, but she wasn't on full alert (seemed almost curious), and eventually went back to feeding.  

I quickly checked the time and realized that I had 10 minutes till I could shoot anything, so the waiting game began.  

Long story short, she stayed in the area a little too long.  At a few minutes past 7, she wandered by me, giving me a perfect broadside shot at about 14 yards.  She dropped within 50 feet of where the arrow hit her, and I had harvested my first deer of the season, all while carrying my gear and treestand.

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 14

For the most part, there was no wind and the area is a low hunting pressure area. I think it was more along the lines of, she was too dumb/curious for her own good.  Almost felt bad, but meat is meat, and after striking out last year and having very limited hunting opportunities, I wanted to make sure I brought something home.

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 2