Keep people off your treestand device

Jeremy K

So ,with all the chit chat about people finding their neighbors and other people squatting in your stand while you are away , got me thinking . Its just a basic 4 sided pyramid made from plywood , with no bottom , mounted on the bottom side is a piece of flat stock that is long enough to protrude through the bottom of the stand ,then a hole drilled through with just enough room to get a pad lock through the flat stock on the bottom side of the tree stand .Good luck standing on that . Ive attached this extremely high quality drawing that trys to show what the heck im talking about .

post-2694-0-74568600-1382491612_thumb.jp

I wouldn't be so sure of that, under normal conditions you may be correct, but if someone deliberately creates a hazardous condition or "trap", it may be a whole other ball game............

Putting something on your treestand to make it inaccessible is not making a trap. If you put a trap door on it, or spikes or something else intended to harm someone, then yes. What the OP is thinking is no different than locking a door.

Putting something on your treestand to make it inaccessible is not making a trap. If you put a trap door on it, or spikes or something else intended to harm someone, then yes. What the OP is thinking is no different than locking a door.

I just think of the trespassing thread, where the landowner knows a neighbor has been using his stand for god knows how long, and has yet to confront him, and I believe he also stated the land is no longer posted..........If this guy alters a stand, that he knew someone else was using, in any way that could be interpreted as a hazard he may be in for a lawsuit if something was to happen. 

I probably won't even make one for myself, its just one of those things that you think of when you are sitting in your stand all day not seeing any deer . Just like a battery operated fan blowing up through the bottom of the platform to get your stink higher up in the air . Just day dreaming in the woods, I love hunting season.

surprised the ladder stand manufacturers haven't come up with a ladder stand that safely allows the removal of bottom third of ladder or rungs. The hunter removes that portion of ladder and hides it nearby, then retrieves and installs to access his/her stand.

Of course, if not safe, then companies are open to a lawsuit...I avoid this trespasser problem by ground hunting and cut some brush for a quick ground blind.

I just think of the trespassing thread, where the landowner knows a neighbor has been using his stand for god knows how long, and has yet to confront him, and I believe he also stated the land is no longer posted..........If this guy alters a stand, that he knew someone else was using, in any way that could be interpreted as a hazard he may be in for a lawsuit if something was to happen. 

Again, making it inaccessible is not the same as creating a trap.

BTW, just because the land isnt posted, doesnt give you or anyone, the right to trespass.

surprised the ladder stand manufacturers haven't come up with a ladder stand that safely allows the removal of bottom third of ladder or rungs. The hunter removes that portion of ladder and hides it nearby, then retrieves and installs to access his/her stand.

Of course, if not safe, then companies are open to a lawsuit...I avoid this trespasser problem by ground hunting and cut some brush for a quick ground blind.

They do make that. Its a section that you buy separately, and the center 2 steps are removable. Ive seen them at Dicks and I believe Gander Mountain.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13217325&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414432

Theres an easier way to keep others out of your stands. Remove the bottom section of ladder sticks, or if you use screw in steps, take the bottom 4 steps with you when you leave.

Your idea is an interesting concept, but its bulky, heavy and would be a pain to deal with in the dark.

Funny story on that actually. 

A few of our tree stands are in woods that we have dual permission to hunt with other guys not part of our hunting party.  One of the stands, we usually take out the first 2 screw ins because its in a good spot and we don't want any of the other guys sitting it. 

I took one of my buddies into the woods one day to hunt, and pointed out which way to head to sit in one of the stands.  After hunting, were sitting around drinking a beer, and he says "man I don't know how the h3ll you guys get to that first step in that tree stand."  I was like "what are you talking about man?"  He says "Its like their was two steps missing out of the tree stand, so I shimmied my way up to get to the first step." 

As soon as he said that I spit up my beer and started dieing laughing..  He went to the wrong tree stand :lol: .  Taking out the first few steps may not work for some people, hahaaha.

Edited by LuckyPickle123
  • Like 1