True definition of a "meat hunter"?

TeeBugg

I must be a tweener. Not a meat hunter or a rack hunter.

I try to get a larger buck every year if I can, and have yet to get a monster. Passed a 2.5 year old 8 point last weekend, but if I was deerless for the season, I'd take him in November/December. In that situation, I'd rather take a doe, but not going without venison for a year just to wait for the bruiser which is hardly ever seen in my neck of the woods. I work a ton, usually take the first week off, and try to get a deer that week. If not, my chances for hunting become very limited due to work schedules and family obligations. I'll get out 3-4 days after that first week.

The only thing that I have any issue over is bone collector friends of mine that will put down my method of hunting over theirs.

I shot the best 8 point of my hunting career two archery seasons ago, but because the rack wasn't outside the ears, (only to the outside of the ears - aged 2.5 years by the taxidermist), I got a bunch of "I would of passed that", "Think of what he would have looked like next year". Said by the same person who hasn't taken a deer in 4 years, and takes the entire hunting season off from work and family. I don't put down his method, but I certainly don't care for him putting down my method as inferior. It's a legal deer, and I'm not laying waste to the local herd by taking it.

I take one or two a year, (no young-uns) and they're all trophies to me. But between the choice of that little six or no venison for an entire year, the six will be hanging in my barn and I'll be very happy with it.

Not sure why the word " meat " has to go in front of hunters that don't like the taste of antlers ! why cant a hunter hunt for the memories and enjoyment like the old days ? If I am in deer camp and see a legal buck that is not a trophy, shoot it and enjoy the hunt isnt that what hunting should be about ? I pass up young deer too but mostly because I have a specific buck I am hunting that I saw on the camera. But during the rifle season in the catskills if it's a legal buck I will most likely shoot it, Meet in the freezer, getting to sleep in while everyone else has to wake up :-) and just the memory of the hunt. Thats what it should be about. If shooting a monster is what its about for someone then they have the right to wait for one to show up. Just my opinion  :biggrin: My only pet peeve is shooting a yearling, but thats me

I'm a "meat hunter".  If all other things are equal, I'll go buck, big doe, fawn in that order.  But I'm not as fortunate to have 6 or 7 deer come within range where I can pick and choose.  I'll go after which ever one gives me the easiest and most ethical shot.  While it will not change my hunting philosophy, I have heard that bucks taste the worst while fawns are the most tender.  I haven't had enough to say if this is true or not.  Is it?

I must be a tweener. Not a meat hunter or a rack hunter.

I try to get a larger buck every year if I can, and have yet to get a monster. Passed a 2.5 year old 8 point last weekend, but if I was deerless for the season, I'd take him in November/December. In that situation, I'd rather take a doe, but not going without venison for a year just to wait for the bruiser which is hardly ever seen in my neck of the woods. I work a ton, usually take the first week off, and try to get a deer that week. If not, my chances for hunting become very limited due to work schedules and family obligations. I'll get out 3-4 days after that first week.

The only thing that I have any issue over is bone collector friends of mine that will put down my method of hunting over theirs.

I shot the best 8 point of my hunting career two archery seasons ago, but because the rack wasn't outside the ears, (only to the outside of the ears - aged 2.5 years by the taxidermist), I got a bunch of "I would of passed that", "Think of what he would have looked like next year". Said by the same person who hasn't taken a deer in 4 years, and takes the entire hunting season off from work and family. I don't put down his method, but I certainly don't care for him putting down my method as inferior. It's a legal deer, and I'm not laying waste to the local herd by taking it.

I take one or two a year, (no young-uns) and they're all trophies to me. But between the choice of that little six or no venison for an entire year, the six will be hanging in my barn and I'll be very happy with it.

I'm with you Jerry and plenty of times I've heard those comments. Fortunately I usually harvest a good buck annually and have no reservations filling a DMP.  One year I shot a nice wide 6 point (2.5yo) and another hunter said he would've passed that with the "next year he would of been huge" (maybe jealous? who knows).  Later that same year the same hunter shoots a spike and says he wanted to fill he freezer.  I congratulated him on his harvest without commenting on his previous remarks. 

• Like 1

I'm a "meat hunter". If all other things are equal, I'll go buck, big doe, fawn in that order. But I'm not as fortunate to have 6 or 7 deer come within range where I can pick and choose. I'll go after which ever one gives me the easiest and most ethical shot. While it will not change my hunting philosophy, I have heard that bucks taste the worst while fawns are the most tender. I haven't had enough to say if this is true or not. Is it?

I would say that is true. (Fawn more tender than a an old buck or older doe for that matter)

I personally hunt for both I'd say. I would like to kill a doe and buck every year. If it gets closer to end of season than I would shoot anything to fill the freezer... I don't care what other people shoot, the only thing that irks me is that sometimes you get people who will shoot the first thing they see and then are begging people to take the meat...why shoot it in the first place.

It's not meat vs trophy, but its ethical or unethical is the sign of the true hunter.  Bait em, or food plot; 2 blade rage or can I get away with the 3 blade, sunrise or if the moons bright enough, he's down.  It's a matter of the angel and the devil sitting on our shoulders, telling us to do the right thing and the devil saying, "No one's around, go ahead".  We fight these battles all the time and hopefully, always do the right thing.  As long as I can look myself in the mirror and know I do the right thing, then that's all that counts.

• Like 2

I don't hunt deer for the horns, nor do I necessarily enjoy most of the venison. Only part I like are the ribs, and there's not much "meat" on that. So I'm confused as to what type of hunter I am.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

how do you cook the ribs? I've always been told they are nasty and don't even use em.

I Like venision in the freezer. With that being said I only shoot mature does. I will not shoot a immature buck. I feel their are enough does in my area to eat.I like to let the buck grow. Yesterday I let 2 small buck go by my stand and harvested a mature doe at the end of day. With bow hunting I feel I have a responsibility to practice qdma. I have grown with my hunting. When I was younger I used to focus on filling tags. As I have matured and educated myself I have learned that one large doe can take the place of 2 -3 fawn and leave deer in my area for years to come.

how do you cook the ribs? I've always been told they are nasty and don't even use em.

Boil them first to get them soft, then throw in some ginger, soy products, some soy sauce and make a nice sauté sauce with that. Put in the ribs and let simmer for and hour or two... Mm mmmm good!

we use everything. Thats one reason i cant use butchers, they take everything off the bone (even when asked not to) . We take most of the meat off the bone and then make chops. Great for stew, or sauce for pasta. Love eating meat off the bone..

Thats basically how we use the ribs, they definitely have a different smell to them though. They are not my favorite. The only way I could describe it would be the smell/taste you get when eating a lamb chop? May not be perfectly accurate but thats all I can think of lol.

I have no problem with someone filling "their tags" the way they want. I personally will wait for a buck. But if the freezer is low and I want  meat ?? Doe ..spike...scrub rack.. what ever. I'll take it on "my tag"

I know a few guys who will shoot a doe, first thing on opening day, just as fast as they would  shoot a big buck. Good for them.

As long as your not just stacking up deer, for bragging rights, I have no problem with someone shooting what they want.

• Like 2

I have no problem with someone filling "their tags" the way they want. I personally will wait for a buck. But if the freezer is low and I want meat ?? Doe ..spike...scrub rack.. what ever. I'll take it on "my tag"

I know a few guys who will shoot a doe, first thing on opening day, just as fast as they would shoot a big buck. Good for them.

As long as your not just stacking up deer, for bragging rights, I have no problem with someone shooting what they want.

So then you have a problem with most guys on this very forum. Why do you think people post pictures of their trail cams and their harvests on the Internet? I love seeing and reading stories as the next guy on here, but lets face it, its all about the bragging rights. Lets just call a spade a spade.

i dont see it as bragging rights at all. more then half the bucks posted never get harvested by said hunter so whats to brag about? i personally like posting pics and reading peoples reactions to a deer, the same reaction i have when i see it on trail cam for the first time. lets face it, WE ALL LOVE to see people post trail cam pics of big bucks, it gets us pumped for the season and half the time its what drives us to the stand knowing whats running around those woods.

if you have guys posting spikes and 4 points all day in the trail cam section that would be exciting? would they be on a level of bragging just for posting it? or because its a small deer we automatically assume there's no bragging behind it?

a meat worthy or trophy buck worthy of our tag and freezer is determined by each hunter differently and when its hard hunting who knows when those gears will change and the bar is lowered or if it even will be. i took a 7 point last year that i passed the week before only because my buddy shot a 7 point i let go that day so when the 7 i passed the week before showed up 30 min after my buddy shot his i said, to shoot double 7s on the same day with one of my best friends and share this experience is a trophy hunt all in its self. 

• Like 2

Aaaahhh no, I mean as long as a person is not just killing deer to say that they killed deer, and they really want the meat, then they should shoot what ever they want on their own tags. 

How many hunter here think that its "all about the bragging rights"????????  Chime in if you do......

i dont think its about the bragging rights at all... thats like saying if a guy is pushing to seek a BETTER job that pays more he just wants to brag. what about trying to seek a better life?

what about simply challenging yourself and saying your going to shoot either older deer or bigger deer as you evolve as a hunter. sometimes your preferences change, sometimes they dont...

i dont see it as bragging... i mean if a guy is clearly saying well show me your big deer, wheres your i posted mine! well then yes thats bragging but i dont see anyone saying that. they are posting deer in a section labeled trail cam pictures lol

• Like 1

Yup..there are hunters who harvest deer for the challenge and for the meat, and there are stone cold losers who just kill deer. Big difference IMHO

If someone has a tag to kill a deer, what difference does it make to you what happens to the meat afterwards? Do you set the standards of "challenge" for other hunters as well?