Walk in or 4-wheeler

irish_redneck

Funny how years ago we all road 4 wheelers close to our stands. Now much older we all walk.  I guess we are getting smarter although I killed the biggest deer of my life standing next to my Quad on opening day. Coming out of the woods and there he was 10 feet from the quad tending 2 does, go figure.

Seriously, maybe in some areas deer get surprised by a machine coming through the woods and spook....I would have to say in all my experience they do not care. Think about how many times you have passed a deer on the side of the road and either backed up or turned around to see it again. They stay and will not run until they feel you are a threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ride the Quad about 3/4 of the way up the mountain.  I then walk about 500 yards up and over to my spot.  I've done it this way for the past 12 years and I'll continue to do it this way.  It is a tough walk up the mountain and I'm not getting any younger.  It is also handy to have the Quad up the mountain, as I use it to haul my deer back to camp.

I was hunting yesterday evening. I was about halfway up the tree when the neighbor rolled in on his wheeler and parked about 30 yards from me on the other side of a little pine knoll.
He has parked there for years, I just didn't expect him there on a weekday. About an hour before dark a spike walked down and started feeding 20 yards from the ATV. I think he actually smelled me and not the wheeler. He was looking my way sniffing got all heavy hoofed thinking something was up and left on half alert. I didn't think I'd see anything when }I heard him coming.

Funny how years ago we all road 4 wheelers close to our stands.  

I recall when NO one had 4 wheelers.  You parked your vehicle and then went about it on foot.  If you shot something, then you dragged it back on FOOT.  Now it seems that a 4 wheeler is required hunting equipment.  I say BS to that.  I don't have one and will not be buying one any time soon.  If I can't haul my butt to my stand, then I will hang up my coat and gun and take up a less strenuous activity.

I don't know why most of you have them getting a deer out, you never kill any!

I could carry what some of them kill under my hat, so to spend thousands for a 4 wheeler and then find a place to store it the rest of the year makes mighty little sense to me.  For less than $100 one can buy one of those game carts that actually do a pretty good job, if the dragging is too strenuous for someone.

Actually, ATVs have extended the hunting years for many. I know that cardiac hill behind the house has already claimed a neighbor. And at my age, I sometimes figure it is a bit smarter to take the ATV to the top of the hill. I park it just under the crest of the hill and walk to wherever I feel I have to go. I don't always do it. Sometimes I like a good slow steady still-hunt up the hill. And there are times when it just isn't safe to take the ATV up such as when there is significant snow on the hill.

It was only a few years ago that I foolishly dragged two pretty good-sized does off the hill at once. Thankfully that was all downhill. And then the year before last I pulled a huge 10 point from the other side of the hill over the top and down to the house. At my age that probably was not one of my more brilliant moves. So, since I use the ATV for work around the homestead and use it to plow out our driveway, and will always have a need to have one around, I see no reason why I shouldn't use it to perhaps extend my life a bit by helping me get to the top of that man-killer hill .... lol. To me it just seems like the smart thing to do.

• Like 1

I could carry what some of them kill under my hat, so to spend thousands for a 4 wheeler and then find a place to store it the rest of the year makes mighty little sense to me.  For less than $100 one can buy one of those game carts that actually do a pretty good job, if the dragging is too strenuous for someone.

Over the winter I am fabricating one of these and I won't even have to pick up the deer to place on the wheeler.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-FHHH?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CKGR5PmlvLoCFc2h4AodMxcADg

Now if I can just find a way to scare the guts out of them!!!..LOL

• Like 1

Over the winter I am fabricating one of these and I won't even have to pick up the deer to place on the wheeler.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-FHHH?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CKGR5PmlvLoCFc2h4AodMxcADg

I know, you wouldn't want to get blood on your manicure would you! 

You are in the handicap category so you also get a pass.

Maybe if you hang the deer by its head and then after you make a quick slit in it's stomach, you can have this hoist bounce it up and down until the guts fall out of it?  Just looking out for you fellas and trying to make your lives easier.  

LOL

Maybe if you hang the deer by its head and then after you make a quick slit in it's stomach, you can have this hoist bounce it up and down until the guts fall out of it?  Just looking out for you fellas and trying to make your lives easier.  

LOL

Gotta be really careful of any gutting operations in a vertical position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxxaRAxnN8

(I know it shows up every year but I had too)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I recall when NO one had 4 wheelers.  You parked your vehicle and then went about it on foot.  If you shot something, then you dragged it back on FOOT.  Now it seems that a 4 wheeler is required hunting equipment.  I say BS to that.  I don't have one and will not be buying one any time soon.  If I can't haul my butt to my stand, then I will hang up my coat and gun and take up a less strenuous activity.

Your right they were trikes back then, quads weren't invented yet.