Walk in or 4-wheeler

irish_redneck

Wondering what peoples thoughts are.... When getting there 1 hour before sunrise (actual) do you think that walking or wheeler disturbs them more?

At first I go with the thought that a slow walk in is the better option, but... knowing how little notice they normally pay to me when I'm on my atv, I'm starting to wonder if I should be driving at least most of the way...

the trip in question is about 600 yards, I know where I'm going well enough that I don't normally use a light at all when walking.

i always go the walk in route... although they may be used to your qtv, they may rarely ever hear them that early in the AM. im totally not saying you would not see deer if you rode in but if you happen to blow the one deer you may be after out of there then a walk in may have been the best fit.

I prefer to dress super warm so while I sit in my stand during the winter months nice and toasty. So riding in the wheeler is much more convenient and allows me not to sweat too much. I don't think it bumps the deer too much. I also will park it though like 200 yards away from the stand though.

and vice versa if I bump the big guy sneaking when he'd have just layed there for my wheeler to pass by then riding would have been the best fit. It's all a woulda coulda shoulda kinda scenario..... ughhh :fie:

I have seen a couple of flags on my morning walks in, camera shows about 24 hour deer movement so don't think getting there an hour earlier would help. I've tried getting there when I can see and am normally looking at 7 or 8 deer within 400 yards, sometimes in the way of where I need to go.

It's a tough call.

I agree that the deer seem to ignore me when I'm on my wheeler. Just the other day I had a doe at about 12 yards, let me raise my hand, fake draw, release, she just stands there, right until I start the motor and continue on my way.

Also the deer I mentioned in a post about shooting uphill were walking straight down a logging road and had passed my wheeler just seconds before.

Another thought would be is a noisy human less worrisome than a quiet human, does the sneaking spook them more than a noisy stroll.

and vice versa if I bump the big guy sneaking when he'd have just layed there for my wheeler to pass by then riding would have been the best fit. It's all a woulda coulda shoulda kinda scenario..... ughhh :fie:

I have seen a couple of flags on my morning walks in, camera shows about 24 hour deer movement so don't think getting there an hour earlier would help. I've tried getting there when I can see and am normally looking at 7 or 8 deer within 400 yards, sometimes in the way of where I need to go.

It's a tough call.

very hard to tell if you bump deer when your engines running.. and no way you are sure if you have a big one working your area and hes bedded up that he will stay bedded watch you drive by and say, well im headed to that dude tree to die this morning lol.

atleast if your walking you can hear if you blow any out of there. hey, its JMO

I generally leave the machine on the trailer until I kill a deer...

One exception...A place in PA where I hunt, it's a LONG , STEEP walk up to where I hunt...I drive the ATV to within a couple hundred yards of my stand.. I figure the chance of spooking a deer with it  isn't worth risking a heart attack..LOL..

I generally leave the machine on the trailer until I kill a deer...

One exception...A place in PA where I hunt, it's a LONG , STEEP walk up to where I hunt...I drive the ATV to within a couple hundred yards of my stand.. I figure the chance of spooking a deer with it isn't worth risking a heart attack..LOL..

I guess the same is with me too. I don't even bring a wheeler hunting unless it's in truxton on private land at Morgan hill. It's a long narrow strip of land we hunt and all uphill to the stand, a good 45 minute walk. So the four wheeler is worth it even if I bump the deer.

I prefer to dress super warm so while I sit in my stand during the winter months nice and toasty. So riding in the wheeler is much more convenient and allows me not to sweat too much. I don't think it bumps the deer too much. I also will park it though like 200 yards away from the stand though.

I guess the same is with me too. I don't even bring a wheeler hunting unless it's in truxton on private land at Morgan hill. It's a long narrow strip of land we hunt and all uphill to the stand, a good 45 minute walk. So the four wheeler is worth it even if I bump the deer.

Methinks cusehunter has split personalities :biggrin:

Methinks cusehunter has split personalities :biggrin:

haha... Well I guess I didn't realize I really don't even use the wheeler much locally when I hunt which is 80% of my hunting because all of my local spots are the usual 80 acre pieces of woods. But truxton is another story... That four wheeler saves my ass a lot of walking

Know what I find funny. Guys take all the time to do all they can to be scent free then hop on a gas operated machine with gas and exhaust smells and park it 200 yards form where they plan to hunt.  I wonder how many deer walk toward you and get near the 4 wheeler smell it or see it and turn away.  The old guy we used to hunt with always said if you can not walk there, do not go there.  That always stuck in my head and we used to do some long walks for sure.

• Like 2

Depends where I am going to hunt on my property around the house walk, top of the property ATV most of the way.I am on it every day or on the tractor doing something out there so the are not spooked by either,99% of the time they just stand and watch as you go by them.I could have filled my tag a number of times this year,just been too warm,I like to let them hang a day or two before cutting them up.  The worst thing you can do if on one is shut it off when near them,put the brake on get off and thake your shot.

Depends where I am going to hunt on my property around the house walk, top of the property ATV most of the way.I am on it every day or on the tractor doing something out there so the are not spooked by either,99% of the time they just stand and watch as you go by them.I could have filled my tag a number of times this year,just been too warm,I like to let them hang a day or two before cutting them up.  The worst thing you can do if on one is shut it off when near them,put the brake on get off and thake your shot.

don't you have to get off to take the shot?