If you'd shoot it on the last day.....

cdmckane

This afternoon, my brother-in-law and I got into an argument after he showed me trail cam pics of a 4pt and told me that "If I haven't gotten anything, I'll shoot it on the last day".  We don't hunt the same property, as he hunts with my father-in-law on his property.  Ironically, I hunt quite a bit on my mother-in-law's property, that my BIL lives on but has no interest in hunting.  Maybe it's that he has an aversion to doing his own scouting or something.  I told him he could sit in my blind and stands, but he doesn't. 

Anyway.  I told him that my theory was that if I'd shoot it on the last day of the season, I'll shoot it on the first day of the season because I can't be sure I'll see it on the last day.  

Your thoughts?

I will shoot no deer before it's time because I am a hunter extraordinaire. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So if I bomb out this year it is because I am holding out for a deer worthy of my prowess. I like that..... it has a nice ring to it. And what a great excuse for coming up empty if that should happen.....lol.

• Like 1

this is how I hunt.

My standards start high. As the season goes on however, my goal to shoot a wall hanger may change to a goal of shooting a 2.5 or better. I am working towards a no yearling management method with my father and we've both decided that if we stick a yearling it's not the end of the world, but if we need to fill the freezer there are a bizillion doe that we could harvest first. I have no issue with someone deciding to shoot a yearling late in the season when they wouldn't early on, but I would say this person is out of touch if they're passing yearling early on because they want to "grow their herd". Because it doesn't matter when you harvest that yearling, but IF.

• Like 1

To each his own. I have no choice mature only where I hunt. But they let you side a bit in bow... Hey I don't make the rules .some on the farm would pass this. Not me lol.

Yes this is last years pic.

post-253-0-84994500-1383225491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

I can see where your brother in law in coming from. Try to let the smaller ones walk in hopes of a bigger one.

Now however I think like you do. If I am willing to shoot it on the last day....I will shoot it on the first day. Every deer is a trophy to me....Spike buck or 20" 10 pt or a doe. They all put healthy meat in my freezer.