Few CNY 2010 bucks

SteveB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd one down was tooth aged aged at 2.5 by a long time taxidemist doing the mount.

Imagine - no AR here - how could this be possible? ;D

Some one else said that they have a spike with a 12 inch spread on it.  Ar's are not the answer.  It is about food and cover.  I still don't get how these guys want someone dictating what they can harvest.  We are SUPPOSED to live in a free country.  Right?

Those are some beauty's

Ive seen spikes with 15" spikes before that was aged at 1 1/2.  A spike with a 12 inch spread could be a nice 8 next yr. But I digress if you want to shoot a spike go ahead. You dont live in a free country you live in a country ruled by laws. True freedom would be Anarchy and that would not be very good for AR.  :)

post it solid and then dont let anyone shoot anything is still AR

Most all 7j/h is a mix of  public and private land with intense pressure. Not even close to the equivelent of unit wide mandatory AR - lot's of young ones still get shot. There are a lot more hunters are choosing to let smaller bucks walk, but far from a majority. Those who do so are for the most part not shooting basket racked 6 and 8's most likely 2.5 and under either, which would be AR legal. They are after more mature deer and are wise enough to know that simply counting points tells them little in these areas.

A spike with a 12 inch spread could be a nice 8 next yr.

True - he would be a young, immature, and AR legal - and stand an excellent chance of not making it to 3.5.

My buddie has passed every small buck he has seen for the last 4 yrs on his40 acre property. He just left my house with A dvd of 4 bucks he saw yesterday. 3 are in the 130's and one is a 150 to 160 class buck. And there are no fields of corn or food plots around. You dont need good eats to make good deer, just age.

The 2.5 I posted is a young deer - probably was near P&Y as a 1.5.

He got that big from lots of quality feed.

4 yrs ago, a 2.5 (aged by jawbone by the DEC) green scoring 182 was taken 4 miles from where I live.

Food - quality and quantity - are huge determing factors in a deers development.

If the above isn't enough proof of that, visit a deer farm and look at their 1.5 and 2.5's.

post it solid and then dont let anyone shoot anything is still AR

Most all 7j/h is a mix of  public and private land with intense pressure. Not even close to the equivelent of unit wide mandatory AR - lot's of young ones still get shot. There are a lot more hunters are choosing to let smaller bucks walk, but far from a majority. Those who do so are for the most part not shooting basket racked 6 and 8's most likely 2.5 and under either, which would be AR legal. They are after more mature deer and are wise enough to know that simply counting points tells them little in these areas.

A spike with a 12 inch spread could be a nice 8 next yr.

True - he would be a young, immature, and AR legal - and stand an excellent chance of not making it to 3.5.

Years ago I killed a spike with 10" tines. I gave the jaw bone to the DEC biologists at the Kingston,Thruway check station. They aged the deer at 6 (six) years old!

That last one is a doozie! Nice mass.

For the record I think mandatory AR is a terrible idea. AR is not QDM and that is the problem along with what do I care what other legal hunters shoot? So I can see more big deer, that does not make me a better hunter. I want every young, once in a while hunter or meat hunter to still be hunters. If you mandate AR how many hunters are we gonna lose?

By the way I passed a spike, a 6 or 7 pointer and a 8 or 9 pointer this morning while on stand. But that is my choice now. I have taken a lot of young deer in my past and rather enjoyed it. And others should be able to go throught that phase too.

Funny thing is AR is already your choice every NY hunter can make that choice and by the stats the choice is not AR.

I know the guy in the first pick.

That area has excellent nutrition which is key for a big deer.

I know where there is one more running around in that area that would give that last one a run for his money. I was debating trying to sneak into his bedroom at 1am and waiting for him to return or chase ducks and geese this past weekend. The ducks and geese won.