Bear Down!!!!

NYBowhunter

What started out as a deer hunt towards end of day, was success on a beautiful bear. Hunted hard all day 11/16 and had seen a bunch of does. The afternoon was very slow and uneventful. As the day was nearing it's end I heard crunch of leaves and I thought to myself here comes a deer, looked over my shoulder and there she was coming in from behind me at a nice pace about 75 yards out. I gave the bear a few minutes as I looked around to ensure there were no other bears in tow. While looking around she must have smelled or made me out, so she veered away from me and was heading for the hilltop and would have been out of sight in less then 50 yards. So now the bear is at a 100 yards, so I improvised to stop her and i sucked on my hand to make an animal distress call and she stopped instantly. Had my dad's 50 yr. Old marlin 35 shooting 150 grain spear points. She was going up hill and quartering away hard, bullet went in behind shoulder and came out her head. She had a massive head and scaled out at 230 lbs. For what I hear this is a true trophy for otsego county as not many are taken each year. Only have had this property for a few years, I'm truly blessed.

post-14-0-70102500-1384691963_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-83676300-1384692023_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-34276800-1384692093_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys.forgot to add the part where me and my buddy had to take the utv up the mountain in the pitch black of the night, that was an adventure. Had to cross a stream and then ride to the top. Glad I made trails for the utv to access alot of the steeper parts of the property, was able to get the utv within 50 yards of the bear. Wow, the memories will last us a life time. Was truly an awesome experience. Can't wait to try for first time some bear meat. Took the backstraps and one back leg, gave other leg to taxidermist. BTW she had a very nice pelt and even the taxidermist said she had more fat then usual, some places we measured the fat at 2+ inches thick, amount of fat was unreal.