Hunter's Code of Ethics

Rob Answer

No mi issue is the attitude that shotguns can not be as accurate as a rifle at 100 yards. They can be. Like Doe said a bullseye is a bullseye.

Of course they CAN be. Like I said there are exceptions to everything. I was talking about inherent accuracy between the two.

Of course they CAN be. Like I said there are exceptions to everything. I was talking about inherent accuracy between the two.

Many do not realize that. They view an accurate shotgun as a fluke. To the contrary, modern shotguns with modern optics and mounts. When set up with the same care as a percussion rifle are hole cutters

Agreed. If we are talking about deer at 100 yards or less. I do a lot of long range( out to 1000 yrds) varmint shooting. If your gun isn't shooting 1/4 moa or so, you aren't going to hit s---t at 1000. I don't care how good a shot you are. Even big game hunting out west where you are shooting at 3-4 hundred yards or more, a 3 moa gun isn't going to cut it.

even if you gave me your rifle that shoots that well at 1000 yards, I bet I personally couldn't make that same 1000 yard shot..................most of the time it's the shooter or the optics that let the rifle down, not the other way around.

My point is that one hole accuracy is very over-rated and will not make someone a great hunter.  A good hunter with a 3 moa clunker rifle will bring down a hell of a lot more game than the guy with the one hole gun who couldn't find a deer in the woods if his life depended on it.

My groups at the range isn't that great but pretty good but my standing shot isn't that much different from my bench shots.  I guess it's the way I hold my firearm or my muscles are very steady or something.  I've also seen a bunch of people who shoot tight groups at the range but when their standing, they can't hold their firearms steady or something and their shots are all over the place.

So now we are going from a discussion of deer hunting in NYS where the vast majority of deer that get shot are within 100 yards to varmint shooting to 1000 yards?? Yeah, then MOST rifles surely won't cut it. And even if the rifle cuts it, the shooter probably won't.

Didn't know we were strictly talking about NYS deer hunting under 100 yards. We were discussing accuracy.

Didn't know we were strictly talking about NYS deer hunting under 100 yards. We were discussing accuracy.

Well actually we are.  The thread took a turn to this discussion when SteveC said that he'd put his shotgun up with any rifle at 100 yards.  Go back and check for yourself.  I don't think anyone will argue that a rifle isn't better at long range, but if his shotgun is hitting the bull at 100 yards, and the majority of shots in NYS are UNDER 100 yards, I don't think he is short-changing himself by hunting with that shotgun.  

I can see you just can't grasp what is being put forth. what difference does it really make if the bullseye is covered by a .5" hole or a .22", 6mm, 7mm, .30" ........ sized hole? You really act like there are only a hand full of shotguns out there capable of this accuracy.

I know you say you have done a lot of shooting. How much shooting have you done with a shotgun?

I can see you just can't grasp what is being put forth. what difference does it really make if the bullseye is covered by a .5" hole or a .22", 6mm, 7mm, .30" ........ sized hole? You really act like there are only a hand full of shotguns out there capable of this accuracy.

I know you say you have done a lot of shooting. How much shooting have you done with a shotgun?

Ok, my patience and time are coming to an end. We were talking about accuracy, being able to hit the bull consistently. And yes, MOST shotguns, like SteveC pump mossberg cannot shoot as well as the average rifle. That's a fact. At this point I don't really care what you believe. It's been a while since I personally shot slug shotguns but have seen some modern shotguns with modern sabots that shot well. Still not as good as my, or anyone that I knows rifle. D they shoot well enough for deer at 100 yards? Yes. But there are times when you have a shot available at 200 yards, so why handicap yourself?

Wow this post went from a temper tantrum from someone losing their spot, to sandwiches, to the debate on hunting regulations, policies, common courtesies for Long Island to accuracy of guns. I am willing to bet most of the shotguns out there can out shoot my 45-70 Gov't how it is currently set up. But Rob is going to be one confused member after he gets done reading all about the shotgun posts. 

• Like 1

Ok so we have determined a shotgun can kill someone as dead as a rifle in an idiots hands. Now back to the sandwich.

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

Thank You! I have read through 9 pages waiting for his answer as to what he packed for a sandwich, I am about ready to message him and find out. 

• Like 1

And many that you can. I see you like to argue, I don't. I wasted enough time on this. Believe what you want and shoot what you wish. That's your choice. I've had enough. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not arguing Pistol. Thought we were having a conversation. Or trying to at least. I was just trying to understand how one bullseye can be rated better than another.

Imo, much of the difference between the northern zone and the southern zone is the traditional weapon used we in the northern zone have been brought up with a very accurate weapon where the 1st shot is the only shot ever needed? Most of the southern zone was shotgun only ,not near as accurate of a weapon. In any of my time spent in the southern zone it is more common than not to hear a volley of shots ..Up here ,more times than not it is a single shot . I am sure there are other contributing factors too. I even see  us northerners when handed a shotgun revert to the same practice .

Lol ..... it is interesting to watch the evolution of a thread. I believe that I have found the reply that actually touched off the accuracy thing between a shotgun and rifle. The implication as I read it is that the shotgun is so much less accurate than a rifle that hunters in the southern zone have to empty their magazine in order to get a deer down....lol. And this accounted for why some members were indicating that their lives are in mortal danger and they are nearly too terrified to go in the woods with slugs literally spraying the trees.

Man I haven't heard so much BS and over generalization in a long time ... lol.

• Like 3

Man, I've gotta tell the wife that I can't deliver her jewelry anymore. Take a couple of hours away and all h*77 breaks loose.

I think things have gotten a bit fuzzy regarding what started this whole diatribe.

The hypothetical was put forth asking if multishot volleys were potentially caused by the inaccuracies of slug guns and how in the northern zone that possibly didn't happen as much as it did in the southern zone because the NZ folks use rifles.   - That's a paraphrase but I think it relates the idear... 

So I took a bit of exception to that and said that at 100 yards or less my shotgun was as accurate as any rifle.  I stand by that statement.  No one said that a rifle wasn't better at distance. If I were going back to Maine where 200 yard shots are common place, I'd grab one of my rifles - no doubt about it.

Edit: I probably should have stated what was implied, and that is that what was being discussed is a hunting situation.

I think you're reading WAY too much into things pistolo71.

I skimmed this afternoons happenings... did anyone figure out what the h*77 the sandwich was?

Edited by SteveC