Share Some Favorite Pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Some more random photos:

post-11-0-41968500-1390923026_thumb.jpg

Found this old cemetery when I was hiking around the valley. This is only a part of a rather large abandoned cemetery. I sent a bunch of these pictures to the town webmaster and explained that the cemetery contained the remains of the town founders. It wasn't long after the pictures were posted that that there was a restoration. For those of you that think your contributions and lives will be forever remembered ...... not really .... lol-

post-11-0-80217900-1390923072_thumb.jpg

I never pass up a falls without a picture or two-

post-11-0-91592600-1390923110_thumb.jpg

Taughannock Falls in the Town of Ulysses. Had to look up how to spell it, and I don't have a clue how to pronounce it-

post-11-0-40717700-1390923166_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Joe, i didnt know you were a biker for Halloween? lol jk

nice metal detecting finds! pretty neat 

Yeah, that looks like stuff you would really be looking for instead of the crap that I always find. Look at this picture of the results of a scan of an old sugar shack in the middle of the hill (probably from some time in the 40's):

post-11-0-22660900-1390999897_thumb.jpg

What a collection of trash. These guys never dropped anything they had that was valuable. Darned inconsiderate of them!

Doc, where is this falls located ?  I'm always looking to experience new ones and get pictures.

Doggone it. I knew somebody was going to ask. I have spent quite a bit of time driving all over this state on vacations, and I just randomly snap pictures anytime something catches my eye. Unfortunately, I never write anything down as to where a lot of these things are. If I had to make a guess, I would guess somewhere between Watkins Glen and Ithaca. Or it might be at Stony Brook Park. It was kind of in with other Stony Brook pictures.

Yeah, that looks like stuff you would really be looking for instead of the crap that I always find. Look at this picture of the results of a scan of an old sugar shack in the middle of the hill (probably from some time in the 40's):

attachicon.gifP5220001.JPG

What a collection of trash. These guys never dropped anything they had that was valuable. Darned inconsiderate of them!

I find a lot of trash like that too Doc.. I'm getting way better at finding good stuff.

Here is a spoon I found near an old cellar hole. The makers mark is by a silversmith in Cazenovia, NY  that only did business from 1810-1815... that would make the spoon 200 years old

post-525-0-81139100-1391041493_thumb.jpg

This is half of a brass 19th century piggy bank... its about 7 inches long and really heavy

post-525-0-17954900-1391041849_thumb.jpg

Edited by nyantler

Yeah, that looks like stuff you would really be looking for instead of the crap that I always find. Look at this picture of the results of a scan of an old sugar shack in the middle of the hill (probably from some time in the 40's):

P5220001.JPG

Haha but still, you may not find it to interesting but everything has a story. Some guy maybe from the 40s? Used that stuff at one point, maybe lost it maybe chucked it. But if you think about it, once upon a time it was new and being used to perform tasks at one point. Still very neat tho

Funny you mention that... I had blood drawn today and the nurse said I had great veins!! I laughed cuz the first thing I thought of was you..lol

Lmao! That's funny

Don't feel bad every single time I get blood work the nurse always say, oh there's no poking around for your vein. You can be blind and find it lol

My wife gets stabbed up for hers hahah

Doe never lets me live down the vein comment I gave you lol

nykimmie- That 2nd from the bottom picture has given me an idea. I think I will start a new picture album that features some well defined animal tracks as a theme. Thanks for the idea.

Funny that pic popped up here. Just yesterday I was flipping through the December 2013 issue of NY Conservationist and on pg.31 somebody posted a pic of the same set of tracks, and was wondering if they were made by a cougar or bobcat,lol.

My kindergarten school. As I remember we had 8 grades in that building. Check out the plumbing out back ....lol-

post-11-0-38396700-1391349015_thumb.jpg

Somebody's home. It's gone now. Was along the Honeoye East Lake Road-

post-11-0-71418700-1391349057_thumb.jpeg

Gannett Hill (Jump-Off) Ontario County-

post-11-0-83816600-1391349104_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-49773500-1391349137_thumb.jpg

Powdermill Park fish hatchery-

post-11-0-32784400-1391349194_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I like the picture of the old house , every time i see an old foundation or abandoned barn or house i try to picture what stories it must have to tell if it could talk.

I just wish I had had my metal detector back then before the tore it all down.....lol.

I always wonder what made a place like that become abandoned. The structure actually looked pretty decent .... No sway-backed roof lines or anything. Actually I have a heck of collection of old abandoned houses, but they are all on film. Like you, I always try to imagine the histories and the families and how things were back when these houses actually contained families. who are now long gone and completely forgotten. What makes this house so spectacular is the huge size of it.

And of course the little one-room school house makes me one of the fast-vanishing generations to have actually attended one of these, so that picture has a special significance to me. This house was one of the 12 original schools in the town of Bristol and I was only there for one year before the state went to the centralized school system. Almost all of these schools are gone now. More history lost.