Late season Long Island

Honest hunter

Just interested how many guys give a good effort this late in the season. Being a teacher I always look forward to having the last week off of the season. I have seen does in the past but never bucks this late. Have only hunted for 5 years and am hooked so having any full week off during anytime of the season has me excited. Any advice or past experiences on the island late season would be much appreciated for extra motivation. Hope everyone had a happy healthy year and get to enjoy many more.

archery runs from Oct. 1st till Dec. 31st.........followed by a shotgun season during the month of January, Monday through Friday, no weekend hunting.

What the heck ..... is that some kind of foreign country or something? No weekend hunting? That's un-American!!

I know that is the excuse that the DEC always uses for being so late getting the harvest data out. They always claim they are waiting for the L.I. season to conclude. I never understood that as an excuse. After all, all they have to do is survey 25 hunters and adding in their statistical formulas and factors and guesstimates and a few constants and poof! .... out comes a perfect harvest tally....lol.

Anywho, thanks for indulging my off-topic question with the answer.

it's just the shotgun season that's weekends only...why? I have no idea.

Their reasoning is that Suffolk County is heavily populated suburbia and on weekends you may encounter other weekend warriors i.e hikers,joggers,bikers. Its a safety issue,less people in the woods means less chance for an accident.

I've seen many bucks in the month of Dec on LI.  My best tip for you is to get out there and hunt.  Try new things that you weren't willing to early in the season, you may be surprised at the results.  in the end its all about time on stand.....cant kill them drinking beers in the wood shed ;-) 

I've seen many bucks in the month of Dec on LI. My best tip for you is to get out there and hunt. Try new things that you weren't willing to early in the season, you may be surprised at the results. in the end its all about time on stand.....cant kill them drinking beers in the wood shed ;-)

Good advice! But the beers in the woodshed are so dam good!

I work in a school so after Friday i am off until Thursday Jan 2nd. I hunt hard every year for that last week and a half and have seen some of the biggest bucks i have ever seen during that time. Two of them were chasing does hard.  My advice would be if you are going to be hunting for the week and a half take the first day and hit as many spots as you can and scout them out and try to find where the deer are hanging around. A lot of spots will be dead due to pressure from guys being in there all season but some spots will still have plenty of deer but you just have to find where they are hiding.  Then after you find a good spot hunt it hard keeping wind in mind and hope to see something good. I also have had luck using scents later in the season where bucks come in to try and find that last doe in heat. I went to dicks last night and stocked up on a ton of scent. I plan on making the ultimate scrape this weekend in an area where i know the deer are hanging out and hanging a stand over it to hunt and hope a buck comes in during daylight checking it out. Last year i laid a scent drag down to my stand and had a nice buck come right up to my tree smelling it on Dec 29th. Unfortunately he was a shed buck so i let him go. Then two days later on the last morning of the season i shot a decent 7 point at first light Good Luck!!! If you get something and need help pm me and i will me more than willing to help you if you need it. Here is the buck i shot last year on the last morning.

IMG_0295_zps5ba244be.jpg

John

• Like 2

I work in a school so after Friday i am off until Thursday Jan 2nd. I hunt hard every year for that last week and a half and have seen some of the biggest bucks i have ever seen during that time. Two of them were chasing does hard. My advice would be if you are going to be hunting for the week and a half take the first day and hit as many spots as you can and scout them out and try to find where the deer are hanging around. A lot of spots will be dead due to pressure from guys being in there all season but some spots will still have plenty of deer but you just have to find where they are hiding. Then after you find a good spot hunt it hard keeping wind in mind and hope to see something good. I also have had luck using scents later in the season where bucks come in to try and find that last doe in heat. I went to dicks last night and stocked up on a ton of scent. I plan on making the ultimate scrape this weekend in an area where i know the deer are hanging out and hanging a stand over it to hunt and hope a buck comes in during daylight checking it out. Last year i laid a scent drag down to my stand and had a nice buck come right up to my tree smelling it on Dec 29th. Unfortunately he was a shed buck so i let him go. Then two days later on the last morning of the season i shot a decent 7 point at first light Good Luck!!! If you get something and need help pm me and i will me more than willing to help you if you need it. Here is the buck i shot last year on the last morning.

IMG_0295_zps5ba244be.jpg

John

Thanks for the info/motivation. Good luck this week! Ill update using this thread if anything happens.

Doc,

On Long island the deer season(gun) is weekdays, but being a small game/duck hunter it's good for me. I can't hunt the coop Mon. thru Fri.in January because it's deer only, so I go on weekends for squirrel, crow, etc. So we all get a chance to hunt in the coop in January.

I wouldn't complain if they had deer hunting 7 days a week, but like I wrote, the weekend small game hunting has always worked for me. 

I'll.never have enough go straight from bow hunting to shed hunting to turkey hunting. Then I take the summer off and start all over again in Oct.

John

I do too... but don't put on near the miles as I do deer hunting... its just deer hunting that I have had enough of.. I guessing you are a younger man than I and still are full of the piss and vinegar which I have much less of these days :)

On stand now...thought the rain may stop before dark. Man I was wrong. I had a shed buck chasing two does the first week of shotgun last year, so I think mbucks advice on scents is a good one.

I've been positioning myself in between bedding and feeding and have been seeing deer. Including a nice buck just out of range last week. I'm gonna try to hunt hard the next few days.

Good luck!! I decided not to go out today because of rain. Hunted all day Sat and Sunday and I saw a lot of does but no bucks. There was a 140" 10 spotted in the area I hunt Sat afternoon so I know there is at least one big one still around. I'll be back out tomorrow morn. Hopefully the cold front will have them moving.

John