4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

first of all a pheasant is up in the air not at ground level. second a load of bird shot will not carry like a single projectile.  comparing them is at best ridiculous., deer hunters tend not to wear orange like bird hunters do. again to make a video of this behavior and post it for all to see is about as irresponsible as any person who calls himself a hunter could do.  

Well no one said he was smart for posting the video, different topic altogether and I agree with you there, ARA's don't need that ammo against us, but what if there is a guy you don't see in a tree stand at the edge of the field you are "shooting into the air at" Most grouse and pheasants I've shot at were not straight up shots. What hunters wear is regardless, I know more people who wear NO orange no matter what they are hunting, however I wouldn't feel so comfortable to do that on state woods.

How often is it that you read about someone being shot from a stray bullet coming out of a drive? I have been hunting 31 years and never have seen or heard of that happening, not even a near miss from anyone I

Well neighbors group killed one of their own during a drive....deer ran past...brush behind it ..he shot and missed but  buddy was on other side of bush one dead buddy...

You  read that Early?...they where hunting from the ground during a drive not with the shooters being elevated in a stand where they had a wide view... shooting toward the back drop of GROUND...just saying

Yup. I guess I was over confident. Thinking back I shouldn't have shot. Have you ever looked back on deer you have lost, and thought "I shouldn't of taken that shot". Seems to me that if someone hits and loses a deer then they did something "piss poor" too.

And Im not really slamming anyone my whole point is I wound;t shoot at a bunch if running deer, and I certainly wouldn't post a video like that. Its not my style. If you're into it fine . Have at it.

Ive never thought i shouldnt have taken a shot, but i have thought about what i could have done to have taken the shot and not missed what i was aiming for. Im not going to take a shot that i think is low percentage to begin with.

what if what if.  what if a bullet ricocheted and hit someone else in the video.  then you would be saying what an idiot he was and should be in jail. but since he got away with it it is fine.  what if he only wounded two or three of them he honestly had noi time between shots to see what happened.  but hey he is a great marksman and hunter.

Well neighbors group killed one of their own during a drive....deer ran past...brush behind it ..he shot and missed but buddy was on other side of bush one dead buddy...

You read that Early?...they where hunting from the ground during a drive not with the shooters being elevated in a stand where they had a wide view... shooting toward the back drop of GROUND...just saying

Most of the time, we do our drives with the shooters in stands for exactly those reasons. If we are on the ground, we will let deer go past us so we are shooting in the opposite direction from the drivers, or if you are a driver, let the deer loop around behind you before you shoot. Its all about taking safe shots and being aware of where everyone is. Nothing unsafe goes on with our drives, ever.

• Like 1

what if what if. what if a bullet ricocheted and hit someone else in the video. then you would be saying what an idiot he was and should be in jail. but since he got away with it it is fine. what if he only wounded two or three of them he honestly had noi time between shots to see what happened. but hey he is a great marksman and hunter.

And what if Germany had won WW2? The answer has about as much bearing on the conversation as yours.

Well neighbors group killed one of their own during a drive....deer ran past...brush behind it ..he shot and missed but  buddy was on other side of bush one dead buddy...

You  read that Early?...they where hunting from the ground during a drive not with the shooters being elevated in a stand where they had a wide view... shooting toward the back drop of GROUND...just saying

I'm sure it has happened, and that story there sounds like pure 100% stupidity. Why would the watchers be that close together? Sounds like they had no clue to me. EVERYTHING has happened in life at one point or another, you name the stupid action, guarantee someone has done it. But I can guarantee it doesn't happen in my hunting group. There are safe ways of doing things and there are dangerous ways of doing things. I suppose it depends on the individual. I don't take shots in the dark so to speak. So the story you are telling me is that the bullet ricocheted after passing through the deer? Is that what you mean by a backdrop of ground? My question in the other posts was how would shooting at a running deer cause a bullet to ricochet differently than a still deer? Does everyone tell the deer to freeze while they walk behind it to check under the leaves for hidden rocks that might there? Just being the devils advocate here.

what if what if.  what if a bullet ricocheted and hit someone else in the video.  then you would be saying what an idiot he was and should be in jail. but since he got away with it it is fine.  what if he only wounded two or three of them he honestly had noi time between shots to see what happened.  but hey he is a great marksman and hunter.

Jesus, this is like arguing with my wife, can you or can't you answer the question I asked you?

If that was to me...no what if's.... I would have said it was a stupid accident....I actually never speculated on whether he's a great marks man nor hunter....and if anything the whole drive thing is a sore subject with me....don't like them never have...but as you can see in the video...the intended shooter had a wide sight picture and was shooting toward ground...as far as drives go well better than watching 3 idiots standing in a triangle 200-300ft apart..brush between them with 12ga's and when a buck ran between them they all fired...Now that happened rt next to my stand  on the neighbors property the morning of the day they shot and killed their buddy after lunch. I about puked when they started firingI had a birds eye view of the whole thing...

If I'm going to judge him...it will be on the words he spoke after killing those deer and again...deer do not but rarely die instantly...some comments were over the top IMO...

I cant wny says it is not relevent

how is it not relevant? you stated that the danger here was "a ricocheting bullet". Doesn't matter what WNY said. I think you are stumped because there IS no answer for my question, a bullet could just as easily ricochet from YOUR gun when you shot at a buck standing still 10 yards away and KILL SOMEONE as from that video guys gun. You are wrong there and just don't want to say it.

ok bullets being shot tioward the ground are more likely to ricochet than shot at a deer on the same plane. he was aiming moving and shooting.  about as unsafe as possible.  no follow up on shot just shoot again and again look for carnage later.  i do not hunt from a stand.

snap shooting which he was doing is so far from safe it is not even measurable.  

Why? The furthest shot he had was probably 25-30 yards, at best, how is that unsafe?  you keep saying it's unsafe but not telling me how? every deer he shot was right in front of him, in clear view in open hardwoods. I think you just disagree with him shooting multiple deer, not the safety aspect. Well if you are against shooting multiple deer, then don't shoot multiple deer. Don't preach to everyone how they should hunt like you or not hunt at all. It's free and legal for this guy to do what he said.  

• Like 1

ok bullets being shot tioward the ground are more likely to ricochet than shot at a deer on the same plane. he was aiming moving and shooting.  about as unsafe as possible.  no follow up on shot just shoot again and again look for carnage later.  i do not hunt from a stand.

So by your reasoning here, if you had a buck run right to you, change direction a bit and instead of running to the left of you it went to the right, then it stopped when it saw you at 20 yards..... you know you only have about 4 seconds to pull up and shoot before he bolts.... you wouldn't take the shot???

So by your reasoning here, if you had a buck run right to you, change direction a bit and instead of running to the left of you it went to the right, then it stopped when it saw you at 20 yards..... you know you only have about 4 seconds to pull up and shoot before he bolts.... you wouldn't take the shot???

And, being an engineer, it is the opposite of what you say here, a bullet shot from above will likely pancake and drop to the ground from above, and ricochet from a same plane shot below. Same principle as a stone skipping on water.

Edited by Deerslayer
  • Like 2