4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

I guess the thing that causes such a knee-jerk reaction is the almost hero-worship reaction that some guys had with looking at this video. I do wonder about a video that glamorizes taking these kinds of shots. I can see a lot of guys out there that are saying, "See .... see .... look at that guy. He's making running shots. How come you are always telling me that you should not take running shots"? I have a nephew that would react exactly that way, and he has a track record of wounding losses that nobody wants to even hear about. I suspect that a lot of proponents of shooting running deer are the very ones responsible for those rapid-fire 5-shot volleys that you can hear every year. Fill the air with lead and see what (or who) falls down. So, I do not support that kind of shooting. I am very vocal about it because I really don't want to be even in the same woods as those people. Maybe this guy has gone through enough deer to have developed some kind of wing-shooting gift on deer, I don't know. But the fact is that his video is obviously glorifying a shooting style that damned few people can actually pull off, and I know that the end result is more people in the woods trying to do what he has shown. So if I seem to be a bit disapproving, it's only because I am.

• Like 1

For being a moderator, you read poorly. I never said I don't have the skill to shoot at or kill running deer. I said I would not be able to predict where my bullet ACTUALLY landed on the deer with any sort of consistency. I'm sure most guys who love shooting running deer will go on and on about how they can hit a bouncing pie plate and avoid hitting a deer in the a$$. I'm also sure all the guys who I see unload on running deer can also skillfully hit right where they aim... they just must choose to miss by a 1-2 feet to make it more sporting for the deer.

I'd bet money I'd be able to kill more running deer than most... I choose not too for the same reason I don't take low percentage bow shots.

If you cant predict where the bullet will hi the deer, then you dont have the skill to take a running shot. Wanna put your money where your mouth is?

Yes I made a bad hit (Im sure you never have….LOL) but I didn't take a bad shot.

Good come back Potsy…way to get personal . Blow your self a kiss next time you walk by a mirror..LOL!!

Oh ive made bad shots and lost deer. Ive never taken one in the rain. Never would. Sorry, but you sitting here slamming someone for making good shots on deer, while you made a piss poor choice on a shot on a deer and lost it, just recently, doesnt fly.

the post im reading about this topic are simply mind boggling. shooting at running deer. dropping the first doe so the fawns stop for an easier shot. are some people on here just plain out to shoot anything that moves in the woods. or are they simply that bad a hunter that they have to resort to those tatics to put venison in the freezer.as a law enforcement officer the first lesson i'm taught no matter where im shooting or who im shooting at  is your your target and beyond. and to think people shoot at running deer. wow. i'll say it again reading there posts and others on here im so glad I was taught deer hunting and  respect and ethics for the deer and woods by my father inlaw.. wow  

I guess the thing that causes such a knee-jerk reaction is the almost hero-worship reaction that some guys had with looking at this video. I do wonder about a video that glamorizes taking these kinds of shots. I can see a lot of guys out there that are saying, "See .... see .... look at that guy. He's making running shots. How come you are always telling me that you should not take running shots"? I have a nephew that would react exactly that way, and he has a track record of wounding losses that nobody wants to even hear about. I suspect that a lot of proponents of shooting running deer are the very ones responsible for those rapid-fire 5-shot volleys that you can hear every year. Fill the air with lead and see what (or who) falls down. So, I do not support that kind of shooting. I am very vocal about it because I really don't want to be even in the same woods as those people. Maybe this guy has gone through enough deer to have developed some kind of wing-shooting gift on deer, I don't know. But the fact is that his video is obviously glorifying a shooting style that damned few people can actually pull off, and I know that the end result is more people in the woods trying to do what he has shown. So if I seem to be a bit disapproving, it's only because I am.

Hero worship? Good lord Doc, no one is claiming the guy to be a hero. If that is what you are getting from this, you should go back and read. The big deal is a bunch of people saying the guy is unethical, a loser, a slob hunter, an animal abuser, etc. Its BS. I get really tired of listening to those types bash fellow hunters over the head with a shovel, just because they do something differently than the way they would. Even if there are no rules broken, no animals made to unnecessarily suffer, no safety issues, etc. To me its the same thing as the guy that cuts someone down for shooting a small buck.

the post im reading about this topic are simply mind boggling. shooting at running deer. dropping the first doe so the fawns stop for an easier shot. are some people on here just plain out to shoot anything that moves in the woods. or are they simply that bad a hunter that they have to resort to those tatics to put venison in the freezer.as a law enforcement officer the first lesson i'm taught no matter where im shooting or who im shooting at is your your target and beyond. and to think people shoot at running deer. wow. i'll say it again reading there posts and others on here im so glad I was taught deer hunting and respect and ethics for the deer and woods by my father inlaw.. wow

As a LEO, you should have noticed the background in that video. Shooting a moving deer is no different than any other time, be sure of your background first.

So in your almighty opinion, someone that shoots a running deer is a bad hunter. Got it.

The truth of the matter is ethics are different to everyone. Ones definition of ethics can vary extremely from the next persons.  What one hunter will do sometimes the next hunter would not think of doing.  So to sit here and make a 12 page thread about ethics I find  to be at the least humorous and the best idiotic.  lets see who can pee the furthest too.  My ethics are better than yours.  Let us try some reality ok.   This guy did what most would not think of doing and he filmed it for our enjoyment.  Do you think that was random or planned?  I wonder how many times he tried the same thing and screwed it up and we did not see that video. I am willing to bet a few at least. Although it is not in good taste, what is in less taste is you guys puffing out your chests to prove you are right, when no one is wrong.  This guy did what he thought was ethical, which most disagree with including me.  The ones who see him as a marksman and want to be like him, well honestly I am glad I do not hunt around you.

If you cant predict where the bullet will hi the deer, then you dont have the skill to take a running shot. Wanna put your money where your mouth is?

Sure! I love a good bet. I've got $200 cash on the table that you can't blow up a 12" balloon and let it go in a swirling stiff wind (or something that simulates a running deer at about 50 yards) and hit it with a slug 8 out of 10 times and you get two slugs per balloon (anything more than that you're just throwing lead and I'll never condone five shot volleys just to hope for a hit somewhere on the deer to "anchor" it). If you can do that, I'd deem you an exceptional (and skillful) running shooter and happily pay the $200 while congratulating you. If not, you pay me $200. If someone can't hit it AT LEAST 8 out of 10 times on a certain shot, they should not be taking that shot because it's low percentage for their ability. So that would certainly allow you to demonstrate your skill and ability to predict hitting your target. Let me know. 

And for record, what I was saying is I'd be able to out shoot most while trying to kill running deer if I ever chose to. So if you want that bet instead, we'll walk around the sports section of Wmart and pick out some camo clad hunters and then go unload on some deer to see who hit's more... thats the only way to know if someone can pull off that shot under pressure in the deer woods. We'll have to make sure it's during season to make it "legal" which so many use as the benchmark of whats proper. The other bet simply tests your shooting skill so my money is right there for you. 

You live in Lima, I'm not far.

As a LEO, you should have noticed the background in that video. Shooting a moving deer is no different than any other time, be sure of your background first.

So in your almighty opinion, someone that shoots a running deer is a bad hunter. Got it.

If this shooter could not focus on the fact that his first fawn was still running away from him while he shot at the second and third deer, why would we think he can focus on his background? 

Can't imagine how people get shot in the woods... but hey, it's legal.... 

Sure! I love a good bet. I've got $200 cash on the table that you can't blow up a 12" balloon and let it go in a swirling stiff wind (or something that simulates a running deer at about 50 yards) and hit it with a slug 8 out of 10 times and you get two slugs per balloon (anything more than that you're just throwing lead and I'll never condone five shot volleys just to hope for a hit somewhere on the deer to "anchor" it). If you can do that, I'd deem you an exceptional (and skillful) running shooter and happily pay the $200 while congratulating you. If not, you pay me $200. If someone can't hit it AT LEAST 8 out of 10 times on a certain shot, they should not be taking that shot because it's low percentage for their ability. So that would certainly allow you to demonstrate your skill and ability to predict hitting your target. Let me know.

And for record, what I was saying is I'd be able to out shoot most while trying to kill running deer if I ever chose to. So if you want that bet instead, we'll walk around the sports section of Wmart and pick out some camo clad hunters and then go unload on some deer to see who hit's more... thats the only way to know if someone can pull off that shot under pressure in the deer woods. We'll have to make sure it's during season to make it "legal" which so many use as the benchmark of whats proper. The other bet simply tests your shooting skill so my money is right there for you.

You live in Lima, I'm not far.

Hang on there pal, you are the one that said YOU could outdo most, right? Not that I couldnt. We dont need balloons in the wind, that dont move like a running deer, simply a target duct taped inside an empty tire. We can roll it down hill past you and you do your best to hit it. We can get a few guys together and see if you out shoot them at the same task. Ill even play along. You win, ill buy the steaks and beer, you lose, you buy. You in? If so, we can start planning it out. I know a good spot do do it safely.

• Like 2

I have complained for years here about ppl around here taking running shots...but have to lean toward what WNYBH is saying...... some of the comments are just too much...unless you can say he managed to completely stage what those wild deer did... there was nothing unethical in it...bad taste.....poor judgement only in.....some of the mind set he showed  by his words..."I couldn't resist" and "went in her back..she was facing away from me I think" That bugged me... couldn't resist really why not?..Not sure his buddies were to impressed...

Now he wasn't shooting at deer running 30 miles an hour across an open field...they were at at slow trot on first shot and he waited for a wide opening...NOTHING wrong with shoulder shots...it's all I take in gun...he did not lose one...blow off any legs... and the second deer was a bad hit...which happens ..even when deer are standing still..the second kill shot from what I saw took longer......  because one..... she looked to have been done for when he turned his attention to her..then started moving around...and he was trying to get a good bead so not to have to take a 3rd shot...I can only guess... but the other deer looked to have stopped.

Would I ever do that no. Did I enjoy watching it no..but his shots were not unethical....lt didn't make him a Slob hunter...bit of a jerk in his manner.... I wouldn't hunt with him..but some of the comments ppl made... sounded like he tortured a bunch of deer..and he did not....I do think at least one of his buddies may have said something about it from the look on his face..but speculation... who knows...BTW there was no scope involved he had open sights on that gun ..making target acquisition much easier...

I agree with Bubbas post on the ethics....but again...the whole...... it took to long to die or it crawled away and died...dbl lunged deer run away and die...deer rarely die instantly...please...and yes some times bleat with the best of shots...

• Like 2

I have a hard time calling this guy a hunter in the sportsman way hunting should be.why on earth would you video this other than to brag how great you are? Is that a sportsman? Not in my neighborhood.

Im not much into the video thing, so i have to agree with you on that. Saying someone isnt a sportsman for participating in a drive, or killing 4 deer, well, I simply disagree. As long as its legal and hes not intentionally making the deer suffer unnecessarily, theres nothing wrong with it IMO.

If this shooter could not focus on the fact that his first fawn was still running away from him while he shot at the second and third deer, why would we think he can focus on his background?

Can't imagine how people get shot in the woods... but hey, it's legal....

He was in a stand shooting at a pretty good downward angle, or did you miss that fact?

Since when are these deer fawns? Looked like adult does to me, at least the first two, I didnt take note of the other ones.

And just for the record, most people get shot due to misidentification of the target for various reasons, not because they caught a stray bullet while someone was shooting at running deer.

• Like 2

It's not anti' its the neutrals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We werent talking about neutrals.

But just to play along with the new spin, i doubt theres anything on that video that would turn a neutral into an anti. Most neutrals i know understand that deer hunting isnt warm and fuzzy all the time. They know what happens to the deer.

Something that occurred to me when reading this thread that I think most of us can relate to is tracking. I hunt a lot of thick areas and I realize this is pretty open hardwoods, but the first thing I do after shooting is to try and watch the deer as it's running away. Perhaps mark a few trees it ran buy in case it doesn't bleed right away like some slug wounds are known to. Now what if he fatally wounded the first deer but the exit wound plugged? Would he have any idea even which direction it ran because he's focused on shooting more deer?

Idk... Just asking not making any statements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The antis dont even need this stuff for their fight. They use the cleaned up warm and fuzzy type pics against us.

And i know some neutrals that dont want to see any of it, cleaned up pics or this type of thing. I only said that most neutrals i know arent that close minded to the realities of deer hunting.

Hero worship? Good lord Doc, no one is claiming the guy to be a hero. If that is what you are getting from this, you should go back and read. The big deal is a bunch of people saying the guy is unethical, a loser, a slob hunter, an animal abuser, etc. Its BS. I get really tired of listening to those types bash fellow hunters over the head with a shovel, just because they do something differently than the way they would. Even if there are no rules broken, no animals made to unnecessarily suffer, no safety issues, etc. To me its the same thing as the guy that cuts someone down for shooting a small buck.

Well, perhaps some of the language about this video is a bit stronger than I would use, but I definitely agree with some of the general thoughts behind those comments. I am not in favor of posting videos that glorify running shots regardless of whether or not they are successful.  I am dead serious about being against running shots regardless of whether it is across a woods or down into the dirt. Running shots in most cases are a safety risk and a serious threat for not putting a deer down in the most humane fashion. It's not something that should be promoted .... in my opinion. The fact that he was shooting into the ground would have been a good point to have stressed in the video itself. I think that there is some level of responsibility that people should exercise when posting these hunting videos. I do wish they would practice a bit of self-restraint.

Undoubtedly more than a few hunters have watched that video and have come away star-struck with the idea that hunting is all about knocking down as many deer as possible and as quickly as possible. That I think is the prime argument with the whole video and the reason that it has struck so many people in such a negative way. Let's put it this way .... It's not the kind of video that I would want shown in a hunter safety class.