4 deer in 9 seconds

Uncle Nicky

For those that have an issue worrying this guy couldn't know what wa in the background, you don't belong in the woods. It's open hardwoods. From a tree stand. Steep angle and they were freaking close. If you are not constantly aware of what is within that line if fire picture you should hang it up.

• Like 1

I never said that making drives and shooting deer off them was unethical.  I have done it for years. But I must say I never took a shot at a running deer in a drive. You can stop a deer pretty well or let it go.  the anti's do not need this I agree but why serve itr up to them on a silver platter.  

I never said that making drives and shooting deer off them was unethical. I have done it for years. But I must say I never took a shot at a running deer in a drive. You can stop a deer pretty well or let it go. the anti's do not need this I agree but why serve itr up to them on a silver platter.

I know you didnt say that, you said he wasnt a sportsman. Ive shot running deer, i always knew my background, i was confident in the shots and they have worked. Its all relative. Do I agree with unloading on a deer booking it through the woods or across a field? Not really, but thats not what happened in this case.

If you think this was skill and not a lot of luck, you are not with it.  I hear you complain about these multiple shots all the time and what are they shooting at.  According to you it is you mostly.   What do you think this sounded like to anyone else in the woods?  Now because he got 4 deer it is ok? 

What ifs...what if the camera fell and we didn't see who shot what...what if the deer had all been penned and released ...what if he missed the last two and a tree dropped on them...what if...this now pointless thread manages to get to 35 pages on the tide of what if's....

There are no "what-ifs" regarding that this is a video that glorifies running shots....... Let's see if we can get to those 35 pages .... lol. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

The doe that was struggling at the beginning part of the video is what the anti-hunters will grab onto in their fight against hunting in general. For me, I would not have this video out there for public viewing. I recall the recent pictures of the doe with the arrow protruding through its face. I believe those pictures made the national news.

Although the person pulled off the shots, the video can be used to portray hunters as a bunch of wild shooters. We don't need that kind of negative publicity.

So if the general public will only condone hunting for population control, why would they support the state in letting them live longer to fulfill the desires of us "evil" hunters?

I guess what I am trying to say is the state has it's own agenda, money. They make a lot of money off of hunting aka "population control". It is quite obvious population control is needed, I think that us hunters will be fine.

Because bucks are not the breeding limiters...does are the breeders, if a buck dies another will breed a hot doe...if a doe is killed that breeding line is dead.

Doe harvests are the only method for population control.

Sorry for hijacking I just really believe hunters should consider pop management part of a hunting mindset...it certainly is taught at hunter Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Hang on there pal, you are the one that said YOU could outdo most, right? Not that I couldnt. We dont need balloons in the wind, that dont move like a running deer, simply a target duct taped inside an empty tire. We can roll it down hill past you and you do your best to hit it. We can get a few guys together and see if you out shoot them at the same task. Ill even play along. You win, ill buy the steaks and beer, you lose, you buy. You in? If so, we can start planning it out. I know a good spot do do it safely.

I would be into this.... im sure most of you are better shots than me but i wouldnt mind a try

Doc those aren't shots I'd take but if you think those were "running shots" then you have never seen the shots I've watched the guys around here try to make..not even close...

That said the buck in my avatar was moving faster than that when I shot him...in fact I even mentioned that in my retelling of it...the only difference was I don't aim at a running deer...I lead them a good distance and wait for them to enter where I expect them to and shoot...Now I told that and not one person had a bad comment on my take...but see I didn't shoot 4 deer and the shot was right where I aimed estimating where he'd enter...In fact my first bow buck with my slow 45# recurve was the same thing...he was coming in to tangle with a 6pt and I couldn't stop him...moving about as fast as the first doe in the video at the hit ...I led him and waited for him to enter my view and shot......both dead deer and behind the shoulder...because... I know my skill level and my equipment...those were moving deer but not running shots...I suppose I'm some how now a slob hunter.... Glorying running shots...man there is some real reaching going on...

• Like 2

Oh ive made bad shots and lost deer. Ive never taken one in the rain. Never would. Sorry, but you sitting here slamming someone for making good shots on deer, while you made a piss poor choice on a shot on a deer and lost it, just recently, doesnt fly.

Yup. I guess I was over confident. Thinking back I shouldn't have shot. Have you ever looked back on deer you have lost, and thought "I shouldn't of taken that shot". Seems to me that if someone hits and loses a deer then they did something "piss poor" too.

And Im not really slamming anyone my whole point is I wound;t shoot at a bunch if running deer, and I certainly wouldn't post a video like that. Its not my style. If you're into it fine . Have at it.

This, to me, is pretty much representative of many hunters who post on here:  Hunt from a high stand...and place the emphasis on the product...not the process.   I would suspect that the stand hunters here would find this A-OK......Genuine hunters may question it a bit.  So....you decide:  are you a deer hunter...or a deer killer??  That will determine how you view this.

Stand hunting is ambushing, not hunting.  The guy in this video was/is a stand hunter.  If you hunt from a stand, do not criticize what he is doing.  If, on the other hand, you wish to confront a deer on his own level and see this as something other than hunting....I agree!

I can already hear the squeals from the stand "hunters".  Say what you want...a person hidden in an elevated stand...a person who is not fit enough or not willing to walk to get a crack at a deer...is NOT a hunter.  He/she knows not what hunting means.  So....they will love this video.....Real hunters will NOT!

Wow!  I'm guessing your freezer goes a bit more on the empty side most years, I also guess I'm a "deer killer" then, Well I suppose my screen name fits! If NYS issues me 6 tags, 8 tags, whatever..... that is my target for harvest. I spent my good money to get them and will feed my family as I see fit!  I spend my early season (bow & NZ gun) hunting alone, much of it in ........ gasp............ a tree stand!  But later season I hunt with the pack and we do drives. If I have multiple tags at that point....... I stop shooting when they are all filled. That is what they are for!  This video shooter did well in my opinion. (outside of the one back strap blown out) Some hunters disapprove of these methods and that is their opinion & they are entitled to hunt their own way, just as you and I are. I am not about the numbers, or the horns on the wall,  I'm about the meat in the freezer.  You contradict yourself in your post, you claim "stand hunting" is not hunting, then you say confront the deer on it's own level and see it as something other than hunting, WTF is that supposed to mean?? Whatever..... I see a lot of "perfect" people on this forum, who don't ever make a single mistake, ever, in life, hunting, etc. and have the ethics of a priest.  Hmmm must be nice to be sooooooo perfect!  I hunt legally with safe, responsible family & friends & have the best of times with them doing what we do, anyone that doesn't like it, trust me I won't lose sleep over it!

• Like 2

Well, perhaps some of the language about this video is a bit stronger than I would use, but I definitely agree with some of the general thoughts behind those comments. I am not in favor of posting videos that glorify running shots regardless of whether or not they are successful.  I am dead serious about being against running shots regardless of whether it is across a woods or down into the dirt. Running shots in most cases are a safety risk and a serious threat for not putting a deer down in the most humane fashion. It's not something that should be promoted .... in my opinion. The fact that he was shooting into the ground would have been a good point to have stressed in the video itself. I think that there is some level of responsibility that people should exercise when posting these hunting videos. I do wish they would practice a bit of self-restraint.

Undoubtedly more than a few hunters have watched that video and have come away star-struck with the idea that hunting is all about knocking down as many deer as possible and as quickly as possible. That I think is the prime argument with the whole video and the reason that it has struck so many people in such a negative way. Let's put it this way .... It's not the kind of video that I would want shown in a hunter safety class. 

Different strokes Doc, a newbie hunter with wet ink on his safety course cert shouldn't be attempting running shots, I agree, it very much is a safety hazard. However a seasoned hunter with decades of shooting & experience under his belt is another story completely. Bottom line is knowing your capabilities & being able to quickly evaluate the situation at hand. The hunter is in a stand in the video. If it were me, I would know where my safe shooting alleys are, and what might not be. This hunter shot almost straight down EVERY shot, how could anyone call what he did "unsafe"???? I take a lot of time out to practice and sharpen my shooting skills, I know my limits, and the limits of my equipment.  Honestly all you out there, if conducting a drive with your buddies a 14pt absolute slammer comes running right to you, within 35 yards in wide open hardwoods, not stopping, he sees you.......... you wouldn't shoot?? Maybe one in 20 of you that say you wouldn't.... really wouldn't. The rest of you are a bunch of liars and you know it!

actually statistically young hunters with ink still drying on their safety certificates are the safest hunters.  Seasoned hunters cut corners and unload their guns at a herd of deer because they have a pocket full of tags and shoot people in their own parties.  if this was done in a drive, did he know where the drivers were?  yeah he was shooting at the ground.  ever hear of a ricochet?

the post im reading about this topic are simply mind boggling. shooting at running deer. dropping the first doe so the fawns stop for an easier shot. are some people on here just plain out to shoot anything that moves in the woods. or are they simply that bad a hunter that they have to resort to those tatics to put venison in the freezer.as a law enforcement officer the first lesson i'm taught no matter where im shooting or who im shooting at  is your your target and beyond. and to think people shoot at running deer. wow. i'll say it again reading there posts and others on here im so glad I was taught deer hunting and  respect and ethics for the deer and woods by my father inlaw.. wow  

I agree with you that you are responsible for your target and beyond, where did you see this fellow take an unsafe shot??? they were all straight down. Some people hunt different than others. 99 out of 100 hunting accidents resulted from the hunter NOT identifying his target and shooting at "the bush that moved" I can never comprehend how anyone is dumb enough to do THAT. How often is it that you read about someone being shot from a stray bullet coming out of a drive? I have been hunting 31 years and never have seen or heard of that happening, not even a near miss from anyone I know. Can't speak for all but when we do drives we are on private, posted land but still exercise every bit of safety first regardless.  This guy also could have voiced a better attitude about it but bottom line is, He did nothing unsafe, he did nothing illegal, he did nothing unethical, (if you are a meat hunter).Training you got being a law enforcement officer is great but it doesn't mean anything here, if you are a licensed hunter in NYS you got the same safety training we all did. Except we don't shoot at people, at least, haven't shot at anyone yet, never know, could be the potential victim of a home invasion at anytime the way this world is decaying which most likely wouldn't work out well for the invader, as my front door he breaks into was locked for his protection, not mine. Question, how is shooting at running deer ANY different than pheasant hunting? or grouse hunting? are these animals not shot when they flush? How could the hunter have possibly checked beyond the grouse or pheasant to ensure no hunter was up on the hill behind it? (This question is for ALL of you that think so badly of running shots)

actually statistically young hunters with ink still drying on their safety certificates are the safest hunters.  Seasoned hunters cut corners and unload their guns at a herd of deer because they have a pocket full of tags and shoot people in their own parties.  if this was done in a drive, did he know where the drivers were?  yeah he was shooting at the ground.  ever hear of a ricochet?

So a bullet shot at a standing animal could never ricochet but a  shot that came right after another shot at a running deer could??? Please explain.

• Like 1

And yes, when my group does drives, We know where everyone is. watchers and drivers.  How is driving the deer under my conditions as I've explained more dangerous than hunting the southern zone state woods on opening day???? Do those hunters KNOW where everyone is??? I would wear a hat with horns with my guys and feel perfectly safe! 

first of all a pheasant is up in the air not at ground level. second a load of bird shot will not carry like a single projectile.  comparing them is at best ridiculous., deer hunters tend not to wear orange like bird hunters do. again to make a video of this behavior and post it for all to see is about as irresponsible as any person who calls himself a hunter could do.  

So a bullet shot at a standing animal could never ricochet but a  shot that came right after another shot at a running deer could??? Please explain.

a gun flying fdrom target to target is about the most unsafe thing there is.  he got lucky simple as that this time.  this is why i am against hand full of dmp and get your buddies too.  brown is down is very dangerous.

a gun flying fdrom target to target is about the most unsafe thing there is.  he got lucky simple as that this time.  this is why i am against hand full of dmp and get your buddies too.  brown is down is very dangerous.

ok that's different from pheasant or grouse hunting how????? do we not shoot quickly on the flush? please explain.  First off, we don't PUT people where there is a danger of being shot by a watcher, OR a driver, we didn't start doing this yesterday. You still didn't explain to me how a bullet ricochets differently from a moving or multiple targets than a standing still target. Please answer the question I asked.

• Like 1