My Slammer

skyzmine

That first deer was shot on October 15th (he says on Monday) he posted it on the 19th.

The second it says was shot on the November 4th. Which he says was with the bow and behind his place.

According to this post in his post history he lives in Wayne co.

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,4337.msg53960.html#msg53960

Regular deer season in the northern zone opened the 22nd.

Unless i am missing something that means the second one was poached.

He also states he doesn't hunt much other than his place in the gas price thread.

If the NZ bow season is from sept. 27 - Oct.21, than the first is legal, and so is the second, or is it not legal to use a bow during gun in the NZ? Regular season in NZ starts on Oct. 22, no? I don't see what the problem is here. Can someone please elaborate?

I stand behind my original statement Elmer see my edit above.

• 4 weeks later...

The OP hasn't been around since 7/17/2011.  That seems odd?

I'd not be surprised if the Encon folks aren't reading some of his previous posts here.  Could be some more information buried amongst them.

Maybe PA. will give him a NR license??

Let me be the first to say the appearance looks bad...HOWEVER, everyone needs to slow the roll on the mob before learning of an explanation.

Nobody has mentioned the fact he's quite close to 8c...if anyone knows about that unit...you can indeed take a second buck during bow season. Not saying its likely, but he's only 15-20 minutes from that unit.

Out of state...unlikely.

Again, it looks bad, but there is the chance he legally took both bucks. Probably not very high that both were legal...BUT...the chance IS there. I suggest everyone not condemn him before knowing the full story.

This quick to judge/premature judging stuff is just as damaging to hunting as the poaching act would be/is. If by small chance the 8c explanation was real, there's a bunch of egg on people's faces here, regardless if he should have explained in a kill post. If that's the case, I hope all of you step up, apologize, and do your best to clear his screenname from this debacle.

This site is full of people who criticize those who don't know or read the laws/regulations...there's an active bait in the store thread right now with several people who say you need to know/read the regs otherwise you are ignorant. If you read the regs, the 8c explanation becomes a potential factor here....but I see at least 2-3 or more people saying it was poached already, including representatives of this site and those who run other sites related to hunting - which doesn't bode well for the reputation of said sites. To me, that's the pot calling the kettle black. I'm guilty of making assumptions from time to time, too, and to be honest, that's why the potential explanation came to my mind. I'm just saying, take it easy fellas, for the time being, until you are like Paul Harvey, and know the rest of the story.

If it turns out to be a poaching job....then obviously the ramifications need to be felt.

phade did you not see where he said he hunts right in back of his house?

If there is a tag on the spike I am betting it was his sons tag, public opinion is a mother effer.

He said:

I almost never hunt any place but my own.

Again, that's another assumption on your part. You think "almost never" = 100 percent of the time, all the time? No...it's not. He would have said NEVER if that was 100 percent of the time...not ALMOST NEVER. Who knows...maybe he also owns a small plot in 8c...or a relative once in a blue moon, etc.

Not saying the dude's innocent, the chances are high something's awry, but there's a fair amount of ASSuming going on before you know all of the facts, in light of a potentially plausible explanation, however low odds they may be. I'd say that's reasonable doubt....not fully conclusive beyond all doubt.

Phade thats all well and good BUT, I do not see a tag to begin with on the first buck!

No, really, it's not. Because you've already labeled him a lawbreaker saying he poached a second deer....and you don't know all of the facts. You're throwing wet noodles against a wall and trying to see what sticks.

And, to be honest, I don't often place tags on the ears/antlers...I actually place them inside the gum line of the buck's mouth after a good suggestion by a DEC officer. I once lost a tag on a drag and had to call and spend time to resolve the tagging and that was his suggestion to prevent it from happening. But, that's another issue, altogether.

You are ready to fry the guy...prejudging is not necessarily the best thing to do. I suggest you at least let the man explain. He hasn't been on since July 17...all of these post started on July 24 about the poaching ordeal.

Phade thats all well and good BUT, I do not see a tag to begin with on the first buck!

Oh and he can tell it to the judge, I do not need to say what could have been just pointing out what I see.

The guy hasn't even been ticketed to our knowledge yet, nor interviewed, nor apporached by a DEC officer. Yet another assumption that if a DEC officer investigates, that there will be a ticket to see a judge?

Giving a hunter a bad name before knowing 100 percent fo the facts is pretty lame imo.

I think the mods should lock this thread and contact him to let him know of this situation. If the details pan out that's he's guilty of something, then he should be reported. Mods should be objective when making determinations and locking this thread and closing this conversation until the facts are made clear is the justly thing to do.

Letting this flame job (it is untill proven otherwise) go on one-sided is not the best idea for this site.

Oh and he can tell it to the judge, I do not need to say what could have been just pointing out what I see.

The guy hasn't even been ticketed to our knowledge yet, nor interviewed, nor apporached by a DEC officer. Yet another assumption that if a DEC officer investigates, that there will be a ticket to see a judge?

Giving a hunter a bad name before knowing 100 percent fo the facts is pretty lame imo.

I think the mods should lock this thread and contact him to let him know of this situation. If the details pan out that's he's guilty of something, then he should be reported. Mods should be objective when making determinations and locking this thread and closing this conversation until the facts are made clear is the justly thing to do.

Letting this flame job (it is untill proven otherwise) go on one-sided is not the best idea for this site.

Good idea Phade.  I hope the guy is clean and has a simple explanation for this. 

Phade. It has been years since I have hunted 8C. I have heard of the extra tags for DOES....have gotten a few my self back then. Where do you read that it works for bucks too?

It's been talked about on this site a few times before, I think. Here's teh language:

Bonus DMPs will be issued to increase hunter participation and deer harvest in four Wildlife Management Units (1C, 3S, 4J and 8C). "Bonus Permits" will be available to hunters who take an antlerless deer in one of those units on a Deer Management Permit (DMP) or a Bonus DMP for that unit. Bonus DMPs may be used only in the Unit for which they are issued and will be valid for a deer of either sex. Bonus DMPs that are used to take an antlerless deer may be replaced with another "Bonus DMP". Bonus DMPs used to take an antlered deer will not be replaced.

Phade let me be brutally clear on this, I don't give a shit. Here is what needs to happen, Burmjohn needs to provide his info to DEC and let them see if he reported the two kills first, if he didnt they can and will do their job and investigate. It shouldn't be hard seeing how he provided a story and photos of his pressumed illegal kills. Again I am not the one you need to plead his innocence to, I don't care I am not the judge nor jury so I can and will pressume he is guilty as sin untill proven other wise and don't you dare try to tell me I can't say he is guilty.

Did you also buy into OJ's deffense?

No, really, it's not. Because you've already labeled him a lawbreaker saying he poached a second deer....and you don't know all of the facts. You're throwing wet noodles against a wall and trying to see what sticks.

And, to be honest, I don't often place tags on the ears/antlers...I actually place them inside the gum line of the buck's mouth after a good suggestion by a DEC officer. I once lost a tag on a drag and had to call and spend time to resolve the tagging and that was his suggestion to prevent it from happening. But, that's another issue, altogether.

You are ready to fry the guy...prejudging is not necessarily the best thing to do. I suggest you at least let the man explain. He hasn't been on since July 17...all of these post started on July 24 about the poaching ordeal.

Phade, you DO know that you dont have to put the tag ON the animal until you get it to your mode of transportation out of the area, right? So you losing your tag on the drag back was completely unnecessary. Its right in the rules.  ;)

What happens to the thread is up to the owner of the site.

Good idea Phade.  I hope the guy is clean and has a simple explanation for this.

If the guy's not clean...we should most definitely bring the heat.

I am just really disappointed all this prejudging went on, even more so by the members who did it. As I said before, I've been guilty of pre-judging myself and we need to work at not doing that.