Darned Weatherman

Doc

So what are the kinds of things that you hate about the way that weather gets reported. I mean, other than their lack of accuracy....lol.

I really hate the vague terms that these birds have developed over the years. I mean really ..... what exactly are "snow flurries"? Does that term tell me whether I am going to have problems on the roads? It like when they say scattered snow showers. What the heck does that mean? Am I going to have to schedule in plowing the driveway or not? Then there is the "slight possibility of showers". What the heck, is it going to rain or not. And when they want to tell you about the forecasted temperature, don't be telling me about "intense cold" or "sweltering summer temperatures". Give me the darned forecasted ranges of temperatures and leave all the dramatic descriptors back in your office.

Here's what I want:

Give me that map that shows the various bands in the area with forecasted levels of snow or rain accumulations.

Give me real numbers when it comes to temperatures, and wind levels. Not these theatrical generalizations.

Never mind telling me about how exciting the weather is for a meteorologist. I am not one and I don't care.

Go back to issuing a predicted % of weather events happening. Rather than just telling me that something might happen somewhere.

Don't be wasting my time telling me about what is happening in Oregon or Tallahassee. I don't care. 

When you flat out mess up, admit it. I have had entire days ruined because of a bogus forecast. At least apologize.

Forget the theatrics and dramatizations. I understand that you have ratings to look after, but just pass along the info. If you do that you will have a much shorter forecast and maybe you can slide in a few more ads to make money with ..... lol. Just the facts ma'am.

So, how about you folks? You have any hot-buttons about weather reporting?

Another station in Buffalo likes to stir fear and doom it seems like...they use the words treacherous, slammed, brutal etc. and then pat themselves on the back saying "We told you last week the snow was coming". And they spend half the newscast on the weather. It's weather overload.

• Like 1

I grew up in North Syracuse, seems like forecasts were spot on in the 70's & early 80's.  I realize weather can be unpredictable but with today's technology, shouldn't we have a pretty good grasp on what can happen?  It is unreal the snow days kids have gotten in anticipation of the "next big one" only to see minimal if any snow fall.  Nowadays, I don't worry about it until the day before or just watch radars around the Northeast to see what may be coming our way.  One old adage, "Red skies at night, sailor's delight - Red skies at morning sailors take warning" always rings true & if it is a clear sky at night - it should be a good day, cloudy at night - not as good.  IMHO.

I grew up in North Syracuse, seems like forecasts were spot on in the 70's & early 80's.  I realize weather can be unpredictable but with today's technology, shouldn't we have a pretty good grasp on what can happen?  It is unreal the snow days kids have gotten in anticipation of the "next big one" only to see minimal if any snow fall.  Nowadays, I don't worry about it until the day before or just watch radars around the Northeast to see what may be coming our way.  One old adage, "Red skies at night, sailor's delight - Red skies at morning sailors take warning" always rings true & if it is a clear sky at night - it should be a good day, cloudy at night - not as good.  IMHO.

The Great Lakes can make weather very unpredictable in this area.

The use of dopplar radar has helped a great deal with weather right now, but doesn't predict the future weather events. It funny how technology has gained so many new advances in weather forcasting, but really no farther ahead, then they were 20 years ago.

Another thing that happens is they close the schools when temperature goes to -0. When I was younger and the temp went below 0 , parents would make sure their kids were dressed properly, and the kids would go off to get the bus for school. Now you see young teens wearing their pajamas to the store in 0 degree temps and they are usually with a parent(and the parents sometimes have their pajamas on too) but they still close the schools cause its to cold out. I just don't understand it sometimes......

Doc has the whole list correct, I think the Buffalo guy (Dum Paul) has too much hi tech. equip. & doesn't know how to read it.   He shows the radar pic. ,all the clouds & snow & rain are pass us & he tells us how bad our weather is going to be & we get nothing everything happens east of us! I beleive at times I can read the pic. better than him.  The other problem is getting a marine forecast in the Buffalo area. they say waves will be 3'-4' footers & the lake (erie) is flat as a  pancake, or we go on the lake when they say its 1 ft. or less & there  are 4'ers & we are hanging on for our lives!   They are messed up!

Oh yeah, and then there is the speed-talk thing where the guys throw in the biggest words possible and then talk so fast that you can listen to a whole forecast and end up wondering what the heck he just got done saying.

I don't get it. Are they trying to pass on useful information, or are they just spewing it all out there as fast as possible so they can get on to the next commercial?

Doc ,,,,, I bought one of these Weather Stations . They are accurate and up to the minute .

Flawless.

Actually these weathermen would be much more accurate if they would simply put windows in the walls of the news-room so they could look outside once in awhile.

All weathermen should be required by law and NOAA to commute by motorcycle.that way they'd have a chip in the game.

Then there should be just 3 forecasts , " I'm riding my motorcycle ,I'm riding my motorcycle but bringing a rain suit for the ride home just in case,and take the buss".

Oh and one forecast per half hour news please not 3 partial forecasts,and skip all the map of the U.S. And world and get right to the forecast.

And have only hot chicks in tight clothes do the weather. See link!

http://m.damnlol.com/i-never-miss-a-weather-forecast-unless-im-from-finland-931.html

• Like 1