New to this page, NY and most important hunting

Nowak8510

Hi everyone, My name is Paul and I having been thinking, wanting and debating about getting into hunting for over a year now. New to it all, I am very exciting about getting into hunting, and learning as much as I can. I have always loved the outdoors and growing up was really against hunting, but I have grown and my opinion has evolved. I want to spend as much time outdoors as I can, and more importantly provide good clean food for my growing family. I wanted to learn as much as I can and hope I will be able to garner much from this site. My family and I will be moving to Orange Co. next month, and I am attending a Sportsman Education Class this week to start my journary to be ready for this upcoming year. I hope to get to know some of you on here and learn as much as I can from all of you. Thanks and talk to you soon.

• Like 2

I get a very strong vibe from your post that you are really going to be into it and will probably like most on this site get into it hook line and sinker. Its pretty much a way of life for most of us and I know I would shrivel up and die if I couldn't get into the wilderness every year and go hunting....

Hi Paul-

Welcome aboard. So how do you intend to start? Small game, varmints, deer? Are you looking at beginning with a bow, gun, both? Do you own any guns or archery equipment? Do you have places for target practice? Are you at all familiar or experienced with hunting equipment? Do you have convenient places to hunt? Have you read any books or hunting magazines? Do you have any acquaintances that are into hunting?

Doc, I plan on starting with big game, deer, turkey, bear, etc. I am planning on starting with a bow, having some trouble conviencing my wife to let me bring a gun in the house, but I plan on doing both. I have a practice bow a buddy of mine let me borrow, so I have been working with that. Right now I dont have that much area to practice, but we are moving to Goshen and will have a few acres to play aorund on. I have been reading, watching and researching as much as I can and trying to asorb as much as I can. Unfournately I dont have any one close to me who hunts, so I have been doing it all on my own, bnut I am having fun and can't wait to get going.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, can't wait to join the club and get out there and make some memories.

Edited by Nowak8510

I would suggest to both of you that you try to find an archery club and join up. Perhaps you will find it fun to get into a bit of competitive shooting (they usually have people of all kinds of abilities to shoot with. It is interesting to see all the different kinds of shooting gear, and have a little tech-talk with other members. And the big benefit is that you come in contact with other bowhunters who can point you in directions toward hunting grounds.

Can't find a archery club? .... check with local sporting goods stores.