Drones

Doc

I can't see the one we saw in Harrisburg being very useful in forest hunting - too many tress to see or fly through.  It really was geared to monitor large tracts of open plains.  It was interesting footage and surprising the Elk didn't seem too concerned.  As I recall, it had a 2 mile limitation.   

• Like 1

I can't see the one we saw in Harrisburg being very useful in forest hunting - too many tress to see or fly through.  It really was geared to monitor large tracts of open plains.  It was interesting footage and surprising the Elk didn't seem too concerned.  As I recall, it had a 2 mile limitation.   

The majority of our hunting season happens after the leaves fall. Makes it pretty easy to see down into the woods. Especially with snow on the ground.

The majority of our hunting season happens after the leaves fall. Makes it pretty easy to see down into the woods. Especially with snow on the ground.

Perhaps it would be useful late season, although picking out a few deer in the woods versus herds of elk is a whole different scenario.  Moreover, by the time you got to those deer, they are likely long gone.  I distinctly recall last year opening day for gun and there were plenty of leaves where I hunted.  I was ticked because I was pretty much limited to bow range.  Honestly, I think it would have very limited utility for hunting in this area.

• Like 1

Guys are already using trail cams that pass along "live time" streaming pics and video and nobody seems to give a rats azz about it, so what's the difference..... as a matter of fact, it's already been accepted as a  technological breakthrough in some hunting circles.

As much as I dislike it, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Edited by wooly

So now all they have to do is come up with drones that have their own on-board weapons systems. Ha-ha .... I'll tell you if you can imagine it, someone will build it. It reminds me of that internet hunting scheme. There is no limit as to how far people will push to get a technological edge when it comes to hunting.

Perhaps it would be useful late season, although picking out a few deer in the woods versus herds of elk is a whole different scenario.  Moreover, by the time you got to those deer, they are likely long gone.  I distinctly recall last year opening day for gun and there were plenty of leaves where I hunted.  I was ticked because I was pretty much limited to bow range.  Honestly, I think it would have very limited utility for hunting in this area.

Huh. There were none at our place.

How useful they would be would really depend on how good of a camera resolution they had. I think its a moot point anyhow, they will be banned for hunting use in most, if not all states.

Pretty much, I am not all that happy about drone technology in civilian situations anyway ..... period. I really don't like this kind of 24/7 potential government surveillance of the population anyway. Call me paranoid, but it all smacks of Big-Brotherism (newly invented word .....lol). And now it is moving into the private commercial arena, and it really is only a matter of time before your neighbor can buzz one of these things up to your bedroom window. Using  them for hunting never occurred to me until I read an article by an outdoor columnist in the local paper. It is a subject that probably needs some public awareness .... hence this thread.

Pretty much, I am not all that happy about drone technology in civilian situations anyway ..... period. I really don't like this kind of 24/7 potential government surveillance of the population anyway. Call me paranoid, but it all smacks of Big-Brotherism (newly invented word .....lol). And now it is moving into the private commercial arena, and it really is only a matter of time before your neighbor can buzz one of these things up to your bedroom window. Using  them for hunting never occurred to me until I read an article by an outdoor columnist in the local paper. It is a subject that probably needs some public awareness .... hence this thread.

I am sure the deer will agree with you Doc.  LOL

Huh. There were none at our place.

How useful they would be would really depend on how good of a camera resolution they had. I think its a moot point anyhow, they will be banned for hunting use in most, if not all states.

Who knows, maybe it was the swamp where I hunted.  All I know is I couldn't see a darn thing unless it was within 40 yards or so.  Bad call by me.

During long hours on stand I've often fantasized how beneficial it would be, to be able to fly low over the area like a hawk to see where the deer were. However having drones buzzing around as a scouting tool is not something I ever want to see. And it would be a sad day indeed if they were allowed as a hunting tool during a hunt.

Giving respect to the deer and being able to take one through hours of hard work and luck from above is a big part of what I seek.

GM

I have wished the same countless times on stand, just to know if there are deer nearby that could stroll in. The last thing we need is drones buzzing all over the woods scouting for deer. 

The biggest downside would probably be all the crashed aircraft in the woods and fields!

I've flown radio-controlled aircraft for a dozen years or so, including a brief stint as a pilot for a Cornell research project, and I can tell you it takes a lot of skill to pilot them well.

Beyond that small issue, I can't imagine a serious use for UAV's in deer hunting in NYS other than maybe scouting for travel corridors in open fields in the early spring. Maybe spot and stalk or spot and ambush, but believe me, actually seeing a deer with a "drone" would likely be more difficult than just seeing one while walking around.

Well mine cost 30,000 with a 10,000 camera and the option of a gun attachment.  It is heavy as all hell but I can fit any gun on it.  The semi-auto works best to cut down on extra weight.  (No extra motors for reload needed.)  I connected night vision with infrared so I can shoot and identify anything with a heart beat.  It picks up mice to 500+ lb. bears.  

Just like a video game you can sit in your house and kill anything.  Just wish it could gut and drag and I will be set.  Next model should have these features. 

ARG!!!  Of course I am joking! 

I can see the benefit for research and study only.  Hunting should not allow this ever, even for scouting. 

Doc...That's some funny STUFF...hehehehe..

Good for the plantation guys.. !!!...

Geeze...We thought it was a CROW !!...hehehehe...

Apparently it wasn't all that challenging a target. They used a rifle on it. I would have thought the shooter would have been easy to find. That guy rolling around on the ground laughing was probably the culprit.

The biggest downside would probably be all the crashed aircraft in the woods and fields!

I've flown radio-controlled aircraft for a dozen years or so, including a brief stint as a pilot for a Cornell research project, and I can tell you it takes a lot of skill to pilot them well.

Beyond that small issue, I can't imagine a serious use for UAV's in deer hunting in NYS other than maybe scouting for travel corridors in open fields in the early spring. Maybe spot and stalk or spot and ambush, but believe me, actually seeing a deer with a "drone" would likely be more difficult than just seeing one while walking around.

My boss has a helo that he flies with an ipad. It has a camera on it and is simple to fly with just a few minutes practice. The new mulit rotor helos are really easy.

My boss has a helo that he flies with an ipad. It has a camera on it and is simple to fly with just a few minutes practice. The new mulit rotor helos are really easy.

Any idea what he paid for that thing? Is that a line of sight thing for steering, or can you use the camera for steering? In other words if you drop down over some trees and is out of sight, can you still fly it?