Stealing your picture?

34NY

So I'm new to the forums. Saw an awesome picture of a turkey this guy put up on the forums...so me being the excited newb I am used it as my avatar pic. He decided it was worth his time to message me saying I'm basically stealing his picture and misrepresenting myself by using it. I since changed it but is this guy insane or am I wrong for using it? Do I need to get used to whack jobs on here or is "stealing" another's photo a forum cardinal sin?

I did compliment him after the fact. Said it was a beautiful picture, is using it not OK? That's when I got the you should be proud of yourself message. Sounds like a whack job to me, hardly a priceless work of art, but as I said I changed it anyway. I'd hate to think somebody somewhere is losing sleep cause I used his picture he put up on the internet Lol.

Edited by 34NY

Don't be bitter.

Some guys put a lot more time and effort into getting a quality pic than some may dedicate into a season of hunts.

To just snag someones  pic without asking is a slap in the face, almost like you're taking credit for the work that went into it.(..yes, there is work involved)

I think the pic you're talking about was skyhunters. He also has a copyright attached to his photos and offers them for sale. Ask first to avoid all the unnecessary drama that comes after the fact.

• Like 2

I would have laughed and said "nice photo" but then again, Phade gave our best trail cam shot last year to Covert to use on its website.  Probably would have been nice to ask first and there are some on here that are pretty serious about trying to catch really unbelieveably nice shots (magazine type photos) so I can see why they may be ticked if it was used without permission.  You are welcome to use any photos I post if you like.  lol  Just apologize and move on - one of those simple misunderstandings and you have removed it.  He didn't make it a public dispute so you really shouldn't either.

• Like 2

Someone's picture is in fact their property.

But is not illegal to use it so long as you're not profiting on it. I made my opinion already, but if someone is worries about their work being stolen, they shouldn't upload it to the net in the first place. Even non members can come in and right click/save as

But is not illegal to use it so long as you're not profiting on it. I made my opinion already, but if someone is worries about their work being stolen, they shouldn't upload it to the net in the first place. Even non members can come in and right click/save as

Depends on the license associated with the picture. 

I am not an expert on copyright laws, but B-low is right in a general sense.  There are exceptions where copyrighted material can be used without liability and those involve acts that are generally not profit motivated (fair use for education, etc.)  Regardless, asking is the nice/right thing to do - legal rights aside.  

I am not an expert on copyright laws, but B-low is right in a general sense.  There are exceptions where copyrighted material can be used without liability and those involve acts that are generally not profit motivated (fair use for education, etc.)  Regardless, asking is the nice/right thing to do - legal rights aside.  

I'm not sure forum avatar would qualify as fair use?

I've had plenty of people post my trail cam images. Bases in velvet was posted on no less than a half dozen FB pages after Covert posted it to their page. Stuff travels.

A TV show Covert sponsors used one of our turkey pics from last year.

I don't mind showing a deer as long as the anonymity remains true. Which isn't always possible.

The proper thing to do is take your own picture and post it as your avatar. Don't take someone's picture and post it like it is yours.

If you asked permission, and he said it was OK then that is an agreement between you and that person

So I'm new to the forums. Saw an awesome picture of a turkey this guy put up on the forums...so me being the excited newb I am used it as my avatar pic. He decided it was worth his time to message me saying I'm basically stealing his picture and misrepresenting myself by using it. I since changed it but is this guy insane or am I wrong for using it? Do I need to get used to whack jobs on here or is "stealing" another's photo a forum cardinal sin?

now it's my turn:

1) I didn't say you stole the picture. I did say by taking it for your own avatar you are using someone else's work to represent yourself.

2) yes, it was worth my time to PM you about it as I was very surprised someone would do that while hoping the owner would not notice.

3) you used the word "insane" and "whack job" to describe the person inquiring about your own selfish actions.

4) you used the "whack job" again in your next post.

we have another guy on this forum that regularly throws out those and other similar insults. we all know from the crossbow threads who he is. you really don't want to be like him.

yes, in your first PM reply to my inquiry you did say that you used the photo because it was a beautiful picture.

next after my reply to your reply you sated that "it was hardly a work of art".

can't you see that you have contradicted yourself here in an lame effort to downplay actions which you probably knew were wrong from the get go.

as "Wooly" stated, there is a lot of hard work that goes into capturing images of wildlife, and in the eye of the beholder wildlife photos are absolutely "works of art".

Edited by skyhunter
  • Like 2

I don't know why I'm wasting my time, actually in a dispute with someone about an avatar pic but here it goes. I'm not contradicting myself pal, and this is the last thing I will say or entertain reading about it. I honestly didn't know it was a problem. You not noticing didn't even cross my mind. I'm new to forums, and didn't think something so petty was a big deal. You messaged me, I said it was a beautiful pic, is it not OK I use it? Sincerely asking if that's something people do/don't do on forums. You went on to throw the first insult and make a point I'm misrepresenting myself and i should be proud. A simple no, its common courtesy to ask would have sufficed. I would have apologized and that would have been that. I then said you need to relax guy. Its not a priceless work of art. In your mind I could care less. Is it on display in a art gallery? No. Do yourself a favor. Don't post something on the internet you don't want used, because it might hurt your precious sense of self worth. I could care less what you think of some guy in the crossbow threads or me. You clearly are insane, and a whack job by my definition. I apologized twice and removed it immediately. Be the bigger man, get over it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

skyhunter- I just recently picked up a hard cover copy of Charles Alsheimers book "Whitetails".

In it was one of the best quotes by Mike Biggs that I just had to share here..... it's so true!

"Wildlife photography consists of a series of repeated attempts, by a crazed individual, to obtain impossible photos, of unpredictable subjects, performing unlikely behaviors, under outrageous circumstances."

As fun as it is, that sure does make it sound like a lot of work,lol

• Like 1

I could care less what you think of some guy in the crossbow threads or me. You clearly are insane, and a whack job by my definition

nothing more needs to be said. you have clearly defined who and what you are.

• Like 1

It is, a lot of work. And patience, perseverance and sweat. Not to mention the cost of the gear involved.

But when you post it on the internet, it becomes fair game so long as there's no profit motive.

34NY, you were right when you apologized for using the photo. Your rant after that was wrong.

Skyhunter, great photos. Please keep them coming as we all enjoy them. But remember that privacy and internet are mutually exclusive terms.