Is this a hunting website or a political site??

I agree.  There are also people who want to keep all Americans clueless and distracted by their escapist pursuits.  They are succeeding.  I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.  It's a birth defect that I cannot help.

;)

More hysterical misrepresentation and innuendo.

And don't try and weasel out of your own reality. I've lost count of the nasty replies to other folk I've seen you post. Shall we have a poll? Whaddya think?

Nasty huh? I challenge you to find 3. Post the links. There's a very big difference between disagreement and personal attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so Ill bite and chime in here. At first, if many of you remember, the political type threads were all over the board, so John created this sub forum to keep them in one place because people were complaining about them clogging the other forums up. Now, people are complaining that they are in this sub forum, but show up in the recent posts feed.

While I kinda get what you guys that dont like it are getting at, Im not even sure if the forum software would be able to filter it out. I dont personally think it should anyway. Just dont click on the threads if you you dont want to read politics. Its easy. I barely ever come in this forum anymore except to skim through things or if heres a reported post or something. Its just self control. Its like waterfowl hunting, i dont really pay attention to it, as im not all that interested in it, so i dont go in there much either.

• Like 1

Site's def gone down hill lately , I get it , slow time of year , but I've joined bowhunting.com forum for now to keep me occupied with " wait for it" summer hunting topics ... So I'll chime in on relevant " hunting" topics here n there , otherwise I'll see ya'll during season ... Happy petty arguing ... Have fun

Ok, so Ill bite and chime in here. At first, if many of you remember, the political type threads were all over the board, so John created this sub forum to keep them in one place because people were complaining about them clogging the other forums up. Now, people are complaining that they are in this sub forum, but show up in the recent posts feed.

While I kinda get what you guys that dont like it are getting at, Im not even sure if the forum software would be able to filter it out. I dont personally think it should anyway. Just dont click on the threads if you you dont want to read politics. Its easy. I barely ever come in this forum anymore except to skim through things or if heres a reported post or something. Its just self control. Its like waterfowl hunting, i dont really pay attention to it, as im not all that interested in it, so i dont go in there much either.

I've noticed you not being around much. Have been busy myself, but why are you still a mod if you don't visit much?

Why don't the guys who don't like politics start threads about what they want to discuss instead ... sounds simple...

A very good point. If all those posts and replies complaining about the political forum (which they don't even have to access) had instead been new hunting posts (which they all claim to be interested in), this would indeed be a very active hunting site.

A very good point. If all those posts and replies complaining about the political forum (which they don't even have to access) had instead been new hunting posts (which they all claim to be interested in), this would indeed be a very active hunting site.

Don't overlook the problem with NEW people looking for a HUNTING site and the first thing they see is a list of posts about  party-politics. Especially the youth and/or novice hunters looking for hunting info. I have already stated it is important to teach the new hunter, especially the young voting age and pre voting age, the importance of getting involved to protect hunting - particularly because the career politician should fear the 17 or 18 year old who has a whole lifetime of voting ahead.  But I think the forum should be organized differently. I agree the first thing seen should not be politics and it would be wise to exclude them from the most recent post list. Then the G&H L & Political Discussion forum is way too broad and needs to be divided up into sub-forums. I would suggest: 1) Hunting regulations and policy effecting hunting  2) Second Amendment 3) Party Politics 4) Voting and Elections. I also think a Conservation forum and a hunting dog forum would be assets to this site.

Don't overlook the problem with NEW people looking for a HUNTING site and the first thing they see is a list of posts about  party-politics. Especially the youth and/or novice hunters looking for hunting info. I have already stated it is important to teach the new hunter, especially the young voting age and pre voting age, the importance of getting involved to protect hunting - particularly because the career politician should fear the 17 or 18 year old who has a whole lifetime of voting ahead.  But I think the forum should be organized differently. I agree the first thing seen should not be politics and it would be wise to exclude them from the most recent post list. Then the G&H L & Political Discussion forum is way too broad and needs to be divided up into sub-forums. I would suggest: 1) Hunting regulations and policy effecting hunting  2) Second Amendment 3) Party Politics 4) Voting and Elections. I also think a Conservation forum and a hunting dog forum would be assets to this site.

I've been saying this from the beginning. Yes it's very easy to not click the links, but what about all the lurkers who eventually leave when the site appears to be something other than what it's intended for?

• Like 1

Don't see a problem.. on the 1st page of new content there are only 2 posts that are political (this is one of them).. the rest are hunting... and most of the political stuff on the site is about guns and hunting... stuff uninformed hunters might want to pay attention to anyway... I'd rather discuss the safe act than try to "guess what animal this is" from a fuzzy trail cam pic...

Oh No! I think it's skeleton Spiderman!

post-525-0-35104700-1407350898_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A wide range of activities get folded into the rubric "hunting". Organizations representing hunters have more often supported extractive industries then have sided with environmental groups interested in preserving natural heritage.

Conflating hunting participation with right-wing political causes alienates new hunters who come for food. It also alienates the public majority. Acceptance by the public majority is not an option, it is mandatory. Hunting will not remain legal unless it provides co-benefits to both non-hunters and non-game.

Its not about sticking together, its about sticking to the facts... Independent thinking creates independent voters and that scares those of high social status, politicians, and with business interests.

Edited by mike rossi

I've been saying this from the beginning. Yes it's very easy to not click the links, but what about all the lurkers who eventually leave when the site appears to be something other than what it's intended for?

Just to bring a little realism back into the topic, I have to say that I think you guys are engaging in huge overstatement. There is no one who could even briefly browse this site and not understand what it is really about. The political forum has not taken over the site or even made a very big impact on the site. There is no real confusion even among new or young potential hunters or even occasional visitors.

AS I recall every one griped when cross bows first became legal and there was a lot of posts about them and the same concerns all that posting will scare away the children.  Realistically if a few posts about a very important subject such as the attack on gun rights scares them away, they were not committed in the first place, and more than likely will be voting to have your rights taken away.  This is and should be a hot button item right now.    I am receiving updates frequently on a state level about changes and ideas to get people out of office and to vote.  I have a hard time not posting them.  But hey if people really do not care, there is nothing I can do to change that.  Sad when the status quo really are not interested and prefer to hear about which bullet shoots better in my gun or what is the best scope than about the future of gun rights. To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

Don't see a problem.. on the 1st page of new content there are only 2 posts that are political (this is one of them).. the rest are hunting... and most of the political stuff on the site is about guns and hunting... stuff uninformed hunters might want to pay attention to anyway... I'd rather discuss the safe act than try to "guess what animal this is" from a fuzzy trail cam pic...

Oh No! I think it's skeleton Spiderman!

attachicon.gifdumb pic.jpg

that's only recently. I hate to keep harping on it, but since this thread some of it has stopped. I think we can move on now.

AS I recall every one griped when cross bows first became legal and there was a lot of posts about them and the same concerns all that posting will scare away the children.  Realistically if a few posts about a very important subject such as the attack on gun rights scares them away, they were not committed in the first place, and more than likely will be voting to have your rights taken away.  This is and should be a hot button item right now.    I am receiving updates frequently on a state level about changes and ideas to get people out of office and to vote.  I have a hard time not posting them.  But hey if people really do not care, there is nothing I can do to change that.  Sad when the status quo really are not interested and prefer to hear about which bullet shoots better in my gun or what is the best scope than about the future of gun rights. To each his own I guess.

no problems with posts about safe act or guns. problem is when we're talking about secret govt conspiracies and have 4 different posts about obama.

Edited by Belo

that's only recently. I hate to keep harping on it, but since this thread some of it has stopped. I think we can move on now.

no problems with posts about safe act or guns. problem is when we're talking about secret govt conspiracies and have 4 different posts about obama.

Things seem to run in cycles here. Just about the time everyone thinks the world is coming to an end for the forum, things have a way of sliding back into perspective and it turns out that the forum is really just fine the way it is.

It would be pretty easy to make two simple changes:

1) Change the format so that most recent posts show at the bottom instead of the top.

2) Create separate forums for "political" topics related to hunting and "political" topics related to things like immigration, taxes, welfare, and all that.