Expensive hunting license

Tughill Tamer

So I'm in NC visiting my oldest son for the birth of my second grandchild and his first child. He doesn't hunt but my youngest boy who lives about 100 miles away invited me to come hunt on his hunting lease . It costs me $160 for an out of state license then it's going to cost me a $40 visitors fee to hunt the lease. I'm only going be able to get away for one day this coming Monday. That's $200 for one day of hunting but some things you just have to splurge for. I don't get to hunt with my son much anymore. Hopefully Monday we have some luck.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

So I'm in NC visiting my oldest son for the birth of my second grandchild and his first child. He doesn't hunt but my youngest boy who lives about 100 miles away invited me to come hunt on his hunting lease . It costs me $160 for an out of state license then it's going to cost me a $40 visitors fee to hunt the lease. I'm only going be able to get away for one day this coming Monday. That's $200 for one day of hunting but some things you just have to splurge for. I don't get to hunt with my son much anymore. Hopefully Monday we have some luck.

Time with one’s son far out weighs money spent in my opinion. Money can be hard to come buy, but can be replaced. Whereas time, we can never have enough of or get back.  
Your priorities are straight in my book. 

Best wishes to you and your son for a fun day together! 

• Like 3

Agree with the others; but hey if you look at what hunting truly costs us, minus the license,  it economically does not make sense either. Hunting boots, hunting clothes, weapons, accessories, ammo, gas, tolls, butchering, etc etc etc.  I'll even bet that if you go and get your personal best buck , it would be money well spent!

• Like 1

Agree with the others; but hey if you look at what hunting truly costs us, minus the license,  it economically does not make sense either. Hunting boots, hunting clothes, weapons, accessories, ammo, gas, tolls, butchering, etc etc etc.  I'll even bet that if you go and get your personal best buck , it would be money well spent!
I'm looking at it as money well spent anyways but getting a deer would just be icing on the cake. I would really love to see him drop something Big.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I'm looking at it as money well spent anyways but getting a deer would just be icing on the cake. I would really love to see him drop something Big.

That would be a tough pill for me to swallow for sure.  I always try to keep my venison under $ 1 per pound, after subtracting all input costs.  I’d be inclined to leave my gun at home; and tag along with just my smart phone, if that were possible. You could record the “live action”.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

That would be a tough pill for me to swallow for sure.  I always try to keep my venison under $ 1 per pound, after subtracting all input costs.  I’d be inclined to leave my gun at home; and tag along with just my smart phone, if that were possible. You could record the “live action”.
I was thinking about that. That was plan B if the license would have been more than I could afford or for some other reason I couldn't have gotten one.

5 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I was thinking about that. That was plan B if the license would have been more than I could afford or for some other reason I couldn't have gotten one.

Well it would be neat to kill an “out of state” whitetail anyhow.  The only deer that I ever killed, out of NY, was a mule deer and I would certainly never again pay to do that.  I don’t like meat that tastes like sage brush.  They are also very ugly, compared to whitetails, and a hell of a lot stupider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

About twenty five years ago, I hunted with a friend in Georgia for a couple weeks. It cost me 200.oo to join his hunt  club (500 acres with permanent stands, most of the time we were the only ones there) and about seventy for my license, which was good for five deer...only two of which could be bucks. At the time I thought it was a bargain. I got three deer...but was very surprised how small they were, A full grown buck was about the size of a first year fawn here.

• Like 1

Priceless! My boys are young now and who knows where they will end up as adults.....I would be willing to pay that 10 times over to spend a day in the woods with them!

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Family First I say .... perhaps put on a drive for the best outcome ?

• Like 1

Family First I say .... perhaps put on a drive for the best outcome ?
I think the game plan is to spend the night at the lodge the night before and be on watch about a half hour before day light. Then Hunt till noonish. Come out for lunch then put on a few drives. Then sit the last cpl hrs.

• Like 1