Just 2 guns

Borngeechee

You sure can conjure up with some good questions and many of them!   

I would want one rifle to be small caliber and dirt cheap to shoot.  The second rifle would have to do everything well for me in the big game department.

A bolt action 22 caliber rifle for small game,  plinking and general practice and my bolt action 35 Whelen (mine is a Remington M700 CDL) for everything else. 

The 35 Whelen is a forgotten cartridge but shoots as flat as the 30-06 and has the authority to cleanly drop any game in North America including big bears.  It is very inexpensive to reload and is often called "the poor Man's Magnum".  Unlike "true magnums" the brass is very inexpensive (same cost as 30-06) and it does well with a relatively modest amount of a  variety of powders.  For deer, my favorite loading is 200 grain Remington PSPCL loaded to about 2850 fps.  For bigger game I like and 225 grain Speers or Nosler Partitions loaded to 2780 fps or 250 grain Speers or Noslers loaded to 2685 fps.  

The 35 Whelen, originally a wildcat,  is merely a 30-06 necked up to 358 caliber.  What could be better than to develop a magnum performance capability on a 30-06 action and using the 30-06 case. 

There is something special about the 35 Whelen.  Maybe it is because it bears the name of an Army Ordnance Officer, Colonel Townsend Whelen who played a leading role in its development.  He like Jack O'Conner was a man who ahead of his time.  Maybe its because I loved the his famous Book "The Hunting Rifle".  Maybe because I feel an appreciation for things of great value and great simplicity that are forgotten by our modern culture. 

That being said, it has some disadvantages especially for those that don't reload.  It is a cartridge that is not as easily available in remote areas and can be hard to find anywhere due to its lack of popularity.  It also really shines with heavier bullets, especially 200, 225 and 250 grain.  Ballistically speaking you lose a lot with lighter bullets. 

Why it has never really been popular is a puzzling question.  Bryce Towsley wrote a good article about the forgotten 35's in November 2013 American Rifleman magazine.  He owns and loves several 35 Whelens.

Probably no one else on the site would likely give the 35 Whelen a second glimpse, but for one gun to take on anything from deer on up Alaskan Bears that is inexpensive to shoot and practice with ....well...I don't think you can beat it. 

You sure can conjure up with some good questions and many of them!

I would want one rifle to be small caliber and dirt cheap to shoot. The second rifle would have to do everything well for me in the big game department.

A bolt action 22 caliber rifle for small game, plinking and general practice and my bolt action 35 Whelen (mine is a Remington M700 CDL) for everything else.

The 35 Whelen is a forgotten cartridge but shoots as flat as the 30-06 and has the authority to cleanly drop any game in North America including big bears. It is very inexpensive to reload and is often called "the poor Man's Magnum". Unlike "true magnums" the brass is very inexpensive (same cost as 30-06) and it does well with a relatively modest amount of a variety of powders. For deer, my favorite loading is 200 grain Remington PSPCL loaded to about 2850 fps. For bigger game I like and 225 grain Speers or Nosler Partitions loaded to 2780 fps or 250 grain Speers or Noslers loaded to 2685 fps.

The 35 Whelen, originally a wildcat, is merely a 30-06 necked up to 358 caliber. What could be better than to develop a magnum performance capability on a 30-06 action and using the 30-06 case.

There is something special about the 35 Whelen. Maybe it is because it bears the name of an Army Ordnance Officer, Colonel Townsend Whelen who played a leading role in its development. He like Jack O'Conner was a man who ahead of his time. Maybe its because I loved the his famous Book "The Hunting Rifle". Maybe because I feel an appreciation for things of great value and great simplicity that are forgotten by our modern culture.

That being said, it has some disadvantages especially for those that don't reload. It is a cartridge that is not as easily available in remote areas and can be hard to find anywhere due to its lack of popularity. It also really shines with heavier bullets, especially 200, 225 and 250 grain. Ballistically speaking you lose a lot with lighter bullets.

Why it has never really been popular is a puzzling question. Bryce Towsley wrote a good article about the forgotten 35's in November 2013 American Rifleman magazine. He owns and loves several 35 Whelens.

Probably no one else on the site would likely give the 35 Whelen a second glimpse, but for one gun to take on anything from deer on up Alaskan Bears that is inexpensive to shoot and practice with ....well...I don't think you can beat it.

I'm naturally curious so I'm full of question plus it seems to get people participating.
  • Like 1