Live From the Stand / Woods 2014!

burmjohn

Only saw a small spike tonight. Thought he was going to be the first bow kill for myself but didn't like something and moved off.

At the end of my morning sit I took a walk down to some of the other stand to look for sign. Was down maybe a half hour on the way back I noticed deer yracks in my foot prints

Well I had an interesting day today! I saw nothing all morning but that's because I got there an hour late thanks to daylight savings time, but I had trail cam pics of a couple does and a decent 8pt at 6am. So when I leave my stand I see a deer that I always see in the same exact spot at the same time. I decide to give a stalk a try and I actually got with in 15-20 yards but it turned out to be a small spike so I let him be. While i was eating my lunch in my car the spike actually came in about 15 yards from my car and stayed around for a little while. Fast forward to 4 I had a doe come in at 20 yards which as we all know is a chip shot right...I guess my body didn't know that 'cause I choked and shot right under it. I actually hit it but with the shaft so all I did was give it a shock. 1 min later that same spike and 4 does came in the same path. I took a shot at a fawn that was in the group and I thought I was a little far forward but it did a face plant into the ground so I figured dead deer running. When I see it go down right away I got a little worried and gave it a little time before I got down. I found the blood right away and I could see it was lung blood so I just walked to where I last saw the deer. Turns out that it was just a single lung shot. I had to leave it because I lost the blood eventually and I needed to go home. I saw it run into the property owners brother's property as I was leaving but I know its done by now. I usually never take the shot angle I took but I figured it was a fawn and that it would blow right through the deer which was some what true but I didn't get a complete pass through. It was a good day but this put a real damper on my drive home.

Just my opinion, but unless you have the time to search for a "badly" hit deer, you have no right to take a shot in the first place.  Especially a shot that is a bad angle.  What are you thinking???

Things happen, but even the best prepared and practiced archer makes a bad shot now and then.

You need to exhaust ever effort to find ever deer whether a perfect shot or a poor one.  I think that obligation is greater when you choose to take a poor shot ("again, bad angle).

Again, just my 2 cents, but my reccomendation would to get out a first light tomorrow and give it a 100% effort.

BTW, if you don't want honest feedback, don't post stories like this on this site!!

• Like 4

Well I had an interesting day today! I saw nothing all morning but that's because I got there an hour late thanks to daylight savings time, but I had trail cam pics of a couple does and a decent 8pt at 6am. So when I leave my stand I see a deer that I always see in the same exact spot at the same time. I decide to give a stalk a try and I actually got with in 15-20 yards but it turned out to be a small spike so I let him be. While i was eating my lunch in my car the spike actually came in about 15 yards from my car and stayed around for a little while. Fast forward to 4 I had a doe come in at 20 yards which as we all know is a chip shot right...I guess my body didn't know that 'cause I choked and shot right under it. I actually hit it but with the shaft so all I did was give it a shock. 1 min later that same spike and 4 does came in the same path. I took a shot at a fawn that was in the group and I thought I was a little far forward but it did a face plant into the ground so I figured dead deer running. When I see it go down right away I got a little worried and gave it a little time before I got down. I found the blood right away and I could see it was lung blood so I just walked to where I last saw the deer. Turns out that it was just a single lung shot. I had to leave it because I lost the blood eventually and I needed to go home. I saw it run into the property owners brother's property as I was leaving but I know its done by now. I usually never take the shot angle I took but I figured it was a fawn and that it would blow right through the deer which was some what true but I didn't get a complete pass through. It was a good day but this put a real damper on my drive home.

THIS is an EPIC tale.

Are you going back tonight to get the dead deer?

What an incredible statement: "It was a good day but this put a real damper on my drive home". So you shoot at two deer within a minute of each other; the first you "actually hit it but with the shaft so all I did was give it a shock", and then a minute mater you shoot and mortally wound a fawn that you don't have time to recover. Exactly what was good about this day? I hope you plan to go back tomorrow to try and recover the deer. 

Ya I knew I was going to catch a little flack for this but I cant say its not undeserved. I made a rookie mistake for the first time in a few years. I didn't think it was going to be a bad shot but I forgot to mention that I hit my Tree stand when I shot so it pulled my shot a few inches from where I wanted it to be. It wasn't a bad angle but I normally like to wait for a better one. I wont be able to get out to look for it but the next door neighbor is going to give it a shot. I posted this knowing id get a few responses I wouldn't like but its the truth and its the first deer I have ever not been able to find. 

Did a little ground stalking today due to wind. Threw out a grunt while I was in some thicker cover and to my surprise had a immediate response and a buck run right to me. Unfortunately I didn't leave myself a shot and got busted trying to turn on the buck. Oh well, pretty exciting for a few minutes as the buck circled my position for a bit.

Whenever these stories get posted it's always the same thing all over again when it goes wrong. The sun was in my eyes, the deer jumped the string, my bow hit the stand, the barometric pressure dropped as soon as I released the shot, a bird slammed into my arrow mid flight. It's never I was so desperate to kill a deer that I did something or a bunch of things I should not have.  

Once you shot at the first deer I would think the thing to do would have been to wait until you could get down an investigate what really happened. Especially if you thought you hit it in any way. Without following up on that shot I can't figure why you would have shot the second deer.  And, without knowing if you had one wounded someplace, why take a marginal shot on a second deer, at the end of the day, when you can't put in the effort to recover it afterwards? To me this isn't a matter of a rookie mistake.

many times I've expressed my views on some of the hunters in this forums ethics and attitudes regarding deer hunting. The attitude of the hunter who shot the fawn mentioned above is just deplorable. That person would never be in my hunting party nor anyone's I know. Now you know why hunters from down state as they say have the reputations they have upstate. I'll say it again. I thank my father inlaw  everytime  I see him for teaching me the ethics and respect I have for Deer hunting. 

No need to take a shot at everyone from down state! I know plenty of places upstate where the locals do what ever they please leave deer and cut out the back straps ext! It has nothing to do with where you're from it's all about who you are

• Like 5

Sadly, he sounds like a guy I hunted with in the past. Notice, I said the past. This guy would run out of arrows, because he would shoot at any deer even if he knew the shot was a bad angle. Then, by luck he hit a doe with a spine shot, and didn't have any arrows to finish her off. The guy actually said that he meant to do a spine shot, so she wouldn't run.

I have never hunted with him after that day. Some people just don't get what hunting is about. I have passed up numerous deer, either because of shots being too far, bad angles, or deer being too small. It's more enjoyable to watch them walk away then limp away because of you didn't care about shot placement or the recovery of the animal. While I live on the Island and hunt here and upstate, I have always noticed that some unethical hunters give most of us a bad name. Bottom line is that you have no business in the woods if you can't take the time to recover the animal you shoot.