Shoot one, please.

First-light

i think all it shows is that some hunting families push their children into doing this before they're mentally ready to do such. some families cant remember that making that first kill is a big hump that takes some time to do for some kids. i would rather not have this video out there for the antihunters personally

• Like 1

At about 4:07 minutes into the video, wasn't an adult walking with a bow in hand while the kid carried a rifle?  Is that legal during the youth hunt?   I thought it was illegal to be accompanied by anyone with a gun while bowhunting?  

This video does NOTHING for the hunter image, that's for sure.

OK,  I looked up the rules.  Just as I figured.

Junior Hunter Mentoring Program Youth Firearms Deer Hunt 14-15 Year Old Hunters can hunt Deer with a Firearm over the 3-day Columbus Day weekend
  • The Youth Firearms Deer Hunt will occur Columbus Day weekend (October 11-13, 2014)mfbgrsmith2010sm.jpg
  • Resident and non-resident Hunting license holders aged 14 or 15 may take 1 deer with a firearm during the youth deer hunt.
  • Junior hunters may use a Deer Management Permit (antlerless-only), Deer Management Assistance Program tag (antlerless-only), or a regular season tag. During the youth deer hunt, junior hunters may use the regular season tag for a deer of either-sex.
  • The youth deer hunt will occur in both the Northern Zone and Southern Zone, except in bowhunting only areas and Suffolk County.
  • During the youth deer hunt, mentors may not carry a firearm or bow to pursue deer.
  •  

I do think that if a DEC officer came upon a few hunters walking out of the woods together and who were all known to each other, that he'd have issues with it if some were carrying bows, while others carried a gun during a youth hunt.  Now if any of them happened to be dragging out a deer, then he would no doubt have some real serious issues with matters.  I don't think I'd want to be one of these people.

that's what happens when things get edited in and out, sometimes things are thrown into spots they don't belong and make things appear as something they're not...........although I'm pretty sure the kid said his brother shot the deer in the neck to finish it off, not sure if that's legal or not, but probably best left out.

Don't see it that way Steve. When I mentored I had a piece of paper on me stating I was the monitor with the kids name. What's the big deal if two other guys join walking out or in even if they do have a bow. It is bow season. 

Yeah, but one can then say the same thing about small game season, which is at the same time as bow season.  If I were bowhunting I would NOT want to be walking out of the woods with a buddy who was hunting rabbits and carrying a shotgun.  I don't want to be explaining anything to a DEC officer who may have an inquiring mind.

OMG .... That whole thing was so screwed up on so many levels.....lol. Did anyone else get the impression that the day of the hunt was the first time the kid had a gun in his hands? No time on the range? No prior safety instruction. I mean, it was the morning of the hunt when he was explaining to him how to load the gun.

And yes, there was some heavy-duty badgering (force) going on there. The kid was not associating any fun or excitement with the hunt at all, and it was just simply a totally negative experience. Yes he claims that he will go out again, but I really wonder if that little blurb was more for his father's benefit than any kind of truthful statement.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't go on like this on too many of those youth hunt opportunities. I am finding it absolutely impossible to visualize that reaction from me or anyone that I ever knew. We all not only wanted to go hunting, but were an absolute pain in the butt about it. There was no begging or coercion necessary at all. Is there something ugly happening to the American male youths? I am completely baffled by the kid's attitude, and thoroughly disgusted by the dad's attitude, and bewildered by the apparent lack of preparation prior to the hunt.

OMG .... That whole thing was so screwed up on so many levels.....lol. Did anyone else get the impression that the day of the hunt was the first time the kid had a gun in his hands? No time on the range? No prior safety instruction. I mean, it was the morning of the hunt when he was explaining to him how to load the gun.

And yes, there was some heavy-duty badgering (force) going on there. The kid was not associating any fun or excitement with the hunt at all, and it was just simply a totally negative experience. Yes he claims that he will go out again, but I really wonder if that little blurb was more for his father's benefit than any kind of truthful statement.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't go on like this on too many of those youth hunt opportunities. I am finding it absolutely impossible to visualize that reaction from me or anyone that I ever knew. We all not only wanted to go hunting, but were an absolute pain in the butt about it. There was no begging or coercion necessary at all. Is there something ugly happening to the American male youths? I am completely baffled by the kid's attitude, and thoroughly disgusted by the dad's attitude, and bewildered by the apparent lack of preparation prior to the hunt.

yeah sorta seemed that way a bit... i think part of the problem is the acclimation process or lack there of in this case. i know i wasnt just thrown into the mix and handed a gun and fell in love with the sport. it came with many many years at a young age shadowing my father just being in the woods in general. whether is be scouting or plain sitting in a blind with my dad during the season but i knew when my time came and i was legal to hunt with him rather then just shadowing him, i was READY. i WANTED to be there and WANTED to hunt. theres things as hunters we can do to help the process if we hope our little ones will one day follow suit. not just give em a gun and say shoot, theres seat time and a learning curve. Now, not all kids will want to hunt but may pick it up down the road as they mature some or become more involved. the road is long, so dont ruin it trying so hard in the beginning forcing them to hunt! it may just put a bad taste in their mouth

• Like 2

#1. It's a NY Times Op-Ed piece. The NYT is arguably one of the most anti-gun newspapers in the world. The spin is dizzying. The person voicing the opinion probably interviewed dozens of people/families before he latched onto this particular group in order to make his point.

#2. The kid clearly doesn't want to hunt or be a part of the outdoors lifestyle. He misses his cocoon of safety: sleep 'til noon, text the girlfriend, burgers with friends, quality tv time, read the NYT, etc.

#3. I can't imagine a worse 'mentor' in my wildest dreams.

The kid realized that he didn't want to kill a deer . His father should of accepted that and not push the kid  . There was no reason to make the kid feel like he was doing something wrong for not wanting to kill something . At 4:15 he said " i don't want to hunt with you "

• Like 1

What you may be seeing is an evolution of modern youth. A condition that I have heard referred to as the "pussyfication of American male youth" ..... lol. Well that is a rather crude characterization of it all, but I do believe there is something going on in society that is driving kids away from hunting and outdoor activities in general. The portrayal of hunters as low-brow, insensitive, brutish people is beginning to take ahold. The worship of technology and avoidance of physical efforts looks like it is having a serious impact on the existence of todays young people. Having good strong, fast, thumbs to operate the texting buttons of the smart phones is a whole lot more valued than being a crack shot on the range or a skilled woodsman on the hunt. It is all about the "kinder and gentler" directions of society. Good thing? ..... Bad thing? It all depends on your point of view.

Yeah, I know. I sound like every other prior generation when talking about "the trouble with kids today". But just from casual observation, this is the way things look to me. This video does not shock or surprise me.