Deer call... grunts and bleats

Borngeechee

attachicon.gifIMG_20140926_121927.jpg Just got mine today

Take some electrical tape and wrap a layer around the spirals to prevent them from digging into the clear coat. Minor deal...I didn't do that with mine because I'm mostly a function person (i'm beautiful enough) over form. It's not a huge mark, but cramming it into pockets over time can sometimes lead to a scratch on the laminate finish.

Take some electrical tape and wrap a layer around the spirals to prevent them from digging into the clear coat. Minor deal...I didn't do that with mine because I'm mostly a function person (i'm beautiful enough) over form. It's not a huge mark, but cramming it into pockets over time can sometimes lead to a scratch on the laminate finish.

Thanks for the tip

I never used calls for a long time but in the past 10 years or so I have found they are pretty awesome IF you use them correctly.

Love the doe can calls and I typically use a high pitched grunt call imitating a young buck.  My excessive calling involves about 4-5 calls a day.  I do not want the deer to be aware of my calling and wow can they pin point your location!

I remember reading some where that if you know how to call well it works great but if you don't know how to call then it actually makes things worst. The deer catches on and know something isn't right. Also, if you make the wrong call at the wrong time, it also alerts the deer. Sort of like screaming "Merry Christmas" in the middle of summer. I never had much luck so this I'm no expert on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Fiduccia has a dvd out that covers a lot of their vocalizations and how and when to use each call. It is informative to those wanting that type of info.

• Like 1

I know I don't ask many serious questions, but I need to know what makes one of these custom grunt calls any better than a basic box store $10 special.

Seriously, it has to be one of the most basic sounds in nature to reproduce only with some variations in pitch and volume that a lot of call makers already have covered with adjustable reeds and proven designs.

I lose a lot of stuff every year with calls being #1 on the list, so when I leave something over $20 behind, it stings a little bit.

What do you guys feel makes these things better, or is it just the hand made aspect you appreciate more over a conventional grunt tube? I would think that unlike turkey calls, the idea isn't to throw something new at them unlike any grunt they've ever heard before. :dontknow:

I know I don't ask many serious questions, but I need to know what makes one of these custom grunt calls any better than a basic box store $10 special.

Seriously, it has to be one of the most basic sounds in nature to reproduce only with some variations in pitch and volume that a lot of call makers already have covered with adjustable reeds and proven designs.

I lose a lot of stuff every year with calls being #1 on the list, so when I leave something over $20 behind, it stings a little bit.

What do you guys feel makes these things better, or is it just the hand made aspect you appreciate more over a conventional grunt tube? I would think that unlike turkey calls, the idea isn't to throw something new at them unlike any grunt they've ever heard before. :dontknow:

Wooly in some cases it is the sound of a custom made call that makes it better.  Most of the time it's the appeal of the custom wood turned and made call.  This call, pictured below, sounds good and looks better then commercially made calls.

It's louder then the commercially made calls and the internals flow smoother.  In the case of grunt tubes the internal/reed are basically all the same.  With that being said I prefer the sound of solid body, all wood, grunt calls then the ones with the plastic tube.

post-857-0-22877800-1411776460_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I scored two of these wonderful calls myself this week, both will be gifts.  One to ME (!) and one to a friend.........

image_zps09fe90d7.jpg

I have a few others that never did much for me but after Phade's endorsement and some research I could see that these are the real deal.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Lawdwaz you suck!!! You are the one who bought the call on the right . That was the one I liked. Oh well, day late and a dollar short. I emailed the guy who makes these and told him about this site. He said he has been getting a lot of business off this site. Now I am waiting for mine to be made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do my best to imitate a doe in heat with just my own vocalizations. A buck can't resist a doe in heat call. Works great if you are in a thick area where he has to move around to find the source. The can works well if you have a hard time vocalizing on your own. Young bucks also like a "hello" call letting them know another deer is in the area. These young bucks will turn on a dime and come right in. Sounds like the word "me" vocalized quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I don't ask many serious questions, but I need to know what makes one of these custom grunt calls any better than a basic box store $10 special.

Seriously, it has to be one of the most basic sounds in nature to reproduce only with some variations in pitch and volume that a lot of call makers already have covered with adjustable reeds and proven designs.

What do you guys feel makes these things better, or is it just the hand made aspect you appreciate more over a conventional grunt tube? I would think that unlike turkey calls, the idea isn't to throw something new at them unlike any grunt they've ever heard before. :dontknow:

Sorry got behind on this thread. Received my call last week. I like supporting the small business guy as well as others, and appreciate what goes into making one of these. I did research on it all well and let me tell you it is lower sounding then any call I've ever heard. It sounds so realistic compared to the big boy store brands. I compared sounds with a couple store bought brands that I had (primos) and it is literally night and day. I also went back and forth talking with the guy for a few days, great guy and enjoys the outdoors and stories that go with it as much as we do. Do a Google search of "vector calls vimeo" and there will be a video that comes up of him making the calls. Pretty cool

Here's mine

c8dfc703d282bf5babc746ee186475a7.jpg

Edited by Burden24
  • Like 3

I've only had luck with bleat can( in my 4 whole years of hunting) had a very nice buck come to 50 yards tearing his way through the brush and grunting last year. I don't pull them out till the beginning of rut. I did get a small 4 pt to grunt back chasing a doe at 100 yard last year but he was too busy.

They sound better to me than any I own...........(and a couple were tossed over the years because they REALLY sounded like junk) but here are the current crop......................................

IMG_6124_zpsa8e080fb.jpg

Meet me for coffee some rainy morning and we can blow a few.......:)

• Like 1

I just sent him a check for one,green and grey.Cant wait becuase I have blown 10 times that on grunt calls trying to get a good sounding grunt.

You won't be disappointed. It's money well spent, and the last one you will ever have to buy.