Cheaters

Honest hunter

He had that in quotes...I'm thinking...the season starts later?...Yes it happens every where...ya just have to keep fighting it...and yes "serious " hunters manage to take the big bucks in Sept here as well...I always find it curious. When there are absolutely no seasons open...and the farms are to our south and west . Every single Sept just at velvet drop the nights fill up with all kinds of gun shots just to our north east. How suddenly some well known roamers just disappear never talked about...but a year later are on some guys wall....hhhhmmm.......All you can do in those situations is be the best hunter you can be and take pride in the legal takes you get....

• Like 7

He had that in quotes...I'm thinking...the season starts later?...Yes it happens every where...ya just have to keep fighting it...and yes "serious " hunters manage to take the big bucks in Sept here as well...I always find it curious. When there are absolutely no seasons open...and the farms are to our south and west . Every single Sept just at velvet drop the nights fill up with all kinds of gun shots just to our north east. How suddenly some well known roamers just disappear never talked about...but a year later are on some guys wall....hhhhmmm.......All you can do in those situations is be the best hunter you can be and take pride in the legal takes you get....

We'll said. I'm a little concerned I might not hear about a few nice deer I had patterned. They seemed to disappear.

I agree it is a serious issue; however, in the grand scheme of things, you can't let it breed jealousy or hate and let it take away from your enjoyment of playing by the rules.

If you see it, report it; otherwise, focus on how you can score the big bucks the right way.

• Like 5

If you know that certain people are doing this sort of thing and have any sort of evidence, eye witness accounts, or anything that is actionable by the DEC, call them on the TIPP line  http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/393.html

You can be the eyes and ears that they, with their diminished numbers, need to enforce those laws that you want these creeps to live by.

• Like 4

i know a few good hunters who take tremendous bucks every year, but you never hear about it, they butcher them themselves, dont mount them(racks stay out in a bushel basket in the barn) not everyone cheats but some just keep to themselves but if you saw the racks in a basket you would swear they poach them.... cant judge people on hear say. but if you see or have credable evidence report them!!!

• Like 2

i know a few good hunters who take tremendous bucks every year, but you never hear about it, they butcher them themselves, dont mount them(racks stay out in a bushel basket in the barn) not everyone cheats but some just keep to themselves but if you saw the racks in a basket you would swear they poach them.... cant judge people on hear say. but if you see or have credable evidence report them!!!

You're absolutely right!!

My friend's cousin, in IL, has a shed full of racks from legally taken bucks.  One is a perfect 7x7 that could possibly be the world record typical if measured, but he doesn't care about records.  He's just happy he's had the opportunity to have killed these deer strictly for the meat. 

It's a big problem where I hunt too.

I see stuff on Facebook that I can't believe gets posted. Baiting, deer in velvet dead saying it was road kill but you can see arrows laying on the ground next to the deer . Stands and cameras stolen every year. Most guys are great but in a huge populated area like LI you are dealing with a broad range of people using the same area. 

• Like 1

That has been going on on L.I. for as long as I can remember,The south shore state and county parks and ones along sunrise highway were very well known to poachers.Not for the meat just for the racks to sell or brag about,22's with silincers and bows were used at night with spot lights,shoot the deer cut off the heads and gone.Another one was hit them with a car or truck and say the deer jumped out in front of them and get to take the deer on a permit.Nothing new down there.

• Like 1

It's amazing how many guys here on Long Island totally disregard the hunting laws. Most of the "serious" hunters kill the biggest deer in September. This just aggravates me so much!! Not to mention the feeding and trespassing. Do you guys have similar experiences?

i live on Long Island also tell me about it hunters on Long Island are like roaches there everywhere and illegally do you know how many pope n young deer are up on guys walls and they can't even enter them in pope n young it's a shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-man your no doubt correct...but there are certain ppl in areas that there really is no doubt how the deer cam to be in the bucket or garage /barn so on and so forth.... they are the ones that spend their lives being under handed and the lies just roll off their tongues like butter on an ear of corn...I have confidence in saying we've all known and know the type...and nothing sticks to them...the best I can do is know one way or another down the road...God will get them in that I take comfort....

• Like 1

Well the bucks I've found on our managed land with rifle holes and no skull

plates sure were real. The 145 ( scored by the dec) we found when the poacher was chased off after firing with a bow hunter nearby who yelled sure was real.

The 155 that a guy claimed he killed opening day from his blind,the very blind I heard a rifle shot at dusk, on the second last day of bow,i'd bet the farm was shot then.

The kid with a nice buck in his truck bed last bow season,when we said that does not look like a bow hole,but rifle who then tossed his coat over it and took off I'm pretty sure about as well.

All,the single shots at night like 2 And 3 AM.

Then sadly the older I get the more hunters I know the more they slip up,the more folks talk,the two dec personal that we know tell those stories ,It can get you pretty down.

Our biggest issue is not growing and keeping around big bucks,it's keeping them from poachers.

i had a problem with road hunters, called the dec and they put up a robo deer...got 2 different vehicles, the rest just dissapeard... i participate fully with dec in the fisher program and turkey trapping/tagging when that was going on...seems the sight of dec in area scares people away... word spreds fast... contact them and use them complaining about it on a forum doesnt do much to stop...and call early...in season they are very busy but before their presesnce my be a deterant if they are seen in july august and beginning of sept.

• Like 1

Honest hunter, I completely understand your take on the long island situation. It can be so frustrating. My latest peeve has been since I'm hunting some of the county properties, I'm seeing chain on stands up. Which are explicitly not allowed. I will be calling park police.

As said, all you can do is try to enjoy your hunting and try to let the bad "stuff" roll off you. And try to work in some upstate trips to help keep your emotions in check.

• Like 1

Evidence is not needed they say it straight to your face. I have had so many guys tell me that if you want to kill big bucks hunt the last two weeks in September. These guys are not shamed to admit they hunt weeks before the opener, bait, trespass, seems like they are proud of it. I obtained legal permission from a land owner and talk to another guy who has hunted there for years, has cameras and just does whatever he wants. It's really upsetting. Pro sports is similar these days in order to be on the best you have to cheat. I hate it!!!!

Any ethical hunter regards this illegal activity repugnant..

But when you get so worried about what the OTHER guy is doing that it takes away from your own enjoyment of the sport, well..There's something sad about that....

I agree with that to a certain extent, but I am glad that people still get upset with illegal activity by the "other guy". Now if we can just go from being upset to being involved in reporting, there may eventually be less to be "upset" over.