How many bucks can you shoot

First-light

No. Could be a buck with horns less than 3". 2" spikes or beams snapped at less than 3"

Well ok, but we should clarify and agree to use the DEC's definition of a buck as being a deer with at least one antler >3". Heck, I could shoot 5 button bucks if I wanted too. Technically because of their pair of testicles, they are bucks, but not as the DEC defines them.

Your bow/ML either sex tag is good for early archery or late archery/ML seasons ONLY. You cannot use it during the regular gun season. Your regular season buck tag can be used for antlered only during regular gun season, or as an either sex tag in late archery/ML season.

You can shoot 2 antlered deer in most of NY per season. There may be exceptions in specific zones that have other programs in place.

• Like 1

you really need to read the regs. yourself to get the correct answer...someone who is on Long Island may give you a different answer then someone who hunts upstate. L.I.'s archery season is actually their "regular season", so both regular season and bow/muzzleloader either sex can be used to take bucks during the same season.

Well ok, but we should clarify and agree to use the DEC's definition of a buck as being a deer with at least one antler >3". Heck, I could shoot 5 button bucks if I wanted too. Technically because of their pair of testicles, they are bucks, but not as the DEC defines them.

Agreed. I like the antlered and antlerless best. no confusion.

I just looked this up earlier today.  I agree everyone should read the regs and ask a game warden if you have any questions.  The way I read the regs:

1.  You can harvest one buck in the early archery season and put it in your bow/muzzleloader either sex tag

2.  You can also harvest one buck during the regular gun season and put it on your regular season gun season tag

Your bow/muzzleloader tag and your regular season gun tag can BOTH be filled with a BUCK in the late Bow/Muzzleloader seasons permitting you have them left.
So in this late season you can harvest two bucks.  You can also put a doe on your regular season gun tag during this late season.

This is just one persons interpretation of the regulations.  I am not a game warden.  If unsure - ask one.

I do not support these regulations but that's the way I read it.

Your right you can shoot 2 bucks in the late bow/ml in the southern zone.  As long as you have your regular season and bow/ml ether sex tag. Remember you also get a bow/ml antlerless tag its not a doe tag its a antlerless tag.
If you're good you could shoot 2 bucks and 7 antlerless deer all in the late bow/ml season. :clapping: 

Better confirm that. I thought I remember that your regular season tag from the previous year is not valid during the early season bow NZ that happens prior to October 1.

Taken from the DEC website for the regular season buck tag......

Antlered Deer Only

Exceptions:

Antlered or Antlerless

1. During the regular season in Westchester Co. and during any season in Suffolk Co.
  2. In Areas restricted to longbow hunting only
  3. During late season (with bow or muzzleloading privilege)
  4. September 27-30, in the Northern Zone with previous season's unused tag and bow privilege

Taken from the DEC website for the regular season buck tag......

Antlered Deer Only

Exceptions:

Antlered or Antlerless

1. During the regular season in Westchester Co. and during any season in Suffolk Co.
  2. In Areas restricted to longbow hunting only
  3. During late season (with bow or muzzleloading privilege)
  4. September 27-30, in the Northern Zone with previous season's unused tag and bow privilege

Thanks. I guess this has all gone away with the new dates for the licenses. Since they will now be Sept 1 as a new license year there won't be any option to use last years for the NZ bow.

Too many, I wish it was 1 buck. That would eliminate a lot of small bucks being killed just because they have another buck tag. But that's a whole other topic.

The answer is one regular season buck tag and one archery if you have it.

small bucks being killed is not the result of too many tags. It's a lack of ARs. Hunter success ratio for NY is in the low teens if I remember right.

Personally I'd like to see the state go to a 2 buck system regardless of season. As it stands now I'd rather take 2 with a stick and string and be tagged out by gun season. To me, 2 deer is 2 deer regardless of how i harvest them.

small bucks being killed is not the result of too many tags. It's a lack of ARs. Hunter success ratio for NY is in the low teens if I remember right.

Personally I'd like to see the state go to a 2 buck system regardless of season. As it stands now I'd rather take 2 with a stick and string and be tagged out by gun season. To me, 2 deer is 2 deer regardless of how i harvest them.

That won't happen in a million years. Gun hunters would have a stroke if they let us take two bucks before gun season. And rightfully so. The one thing almost all true big buck states have is a very short gun season. NY will never get there with five weeks of gun, a youth gun season, and soon an early ML season. I gun hunt too, nothing against it at all I truly enjoy it, but the season is just way too long

I dont agree with that at all. If you limited it to 1 buck per season, more guys would be choosy instead of knocking down the first buck they saw. Why put another restriction on what you can shoot in place, just say "hey, you can shoot whatever buck you want, but you can only shoot 1 of them." and I bet youd have less complaints than if you try shoving your antler standards down everyones throat.

JMO

• Like 2

I dont agree with that at all. If you limited it to 1 buck per season, more guys would be choosy instead of knocking down the first buck they saw. Why put another restriction on what you can shoot in place, just say "hey, you can shoot whatever buck you want, but you can only shoot 1 of them." and I bet youd have less complaints than if you try shoving your antler standards down everyones throat.

JMO

I agree. I hate the idea of telling anyone what they can and can't shoot.

That won't happen in a million years. Gun hunters would have a stroke if they let us take two bucks before gun season. And rightfully so. The one thing almost all true big buck states have is a very short gun season. NY will never get there with five weeks of gun, a youth gun season, and soon an early ML season. I gun hunt too, nothing against it at all I truly enjoy it, but the season is just way too long

I gun hunt as well. Still think there needs to be a shorter gun season. I think that almost makes it more fun. 2 weeks is more than enough.

JMO

See I can understand that view, and for folks like you and I who have good action it may hold true. But again, remember only 43% of hunters in the NE (www.qdma.com/uploads/pdf/WR2013.pdf) even kill a deer (horns or no). I think the 1 buck limit doesn't do much for the state. When I need meat I stick a doe and I know a lot of others do too. If you want to grow a deer you put your own limits on what you harvest.

At the end of the day none of this matters because the DEC has made it clear that they're in it to decrease the population and have zero intentions on improving the quality. And that's a fact.