How many bucks can you shoot

First-light

I dont agree with that at all. If you limited it to 1 buck per season, more guys would be choosy instead of knocking down the first buck they saw. Why put another restriction on what you can shoot in place, just say "hey, you can shoot whatever buck you want, but you can only shoot 1 of them." and I bet youd have less complaints than if you try shoving your antler standards down everyones throat.

JMO

Exactly right. I know a lot of guys that shoot the first buck they see just to shoot something. Then throw the rack in the shed because its not what they really wanted. Shoot any buck that makes you happy, but only 1. Does anybody really NEED to shoot more than 1 buck a season?

It would not just take one per year. It would also take a much shorter firearm season - not only because its a gun - but because of all the people that fill tags for others.

I believe very few peeps would poach out of season but they think nothing of filling someone else tag. It pisses me off and I have actually blown the whistle before.

I am sure it happens in the better managed states as well but you only have one week to do it - NOT 40 DAYS!

Here's why I'm not in favor of 1buck per season. First let me state I haven't killed 2 bucks in a season since 2004 and when I say season I mean bow, gun and late bow- ML. I hunt 9p so I don't get a dmp every year and I have 2 kids. If a big 10pt comes by in bow season I'm not going to let it pass. Now I can still hunt in 9p where camp is even if I don't have dmp. With a 1 buck rule that means I'm not taking the time off to go to camp if I can't hunt. That means my kids don't go if I don't go. DEC says only about 5% of hunters kill 2 bucks in 1 year. Buck don't control herd size.

• Like 1

Here's why I'm not in favor of 1buck per season. First let me state I haven't killed 2 bucks in a season since 2004 and when I say season I mean bow, gun and late bow- ML. I hunt 9p so I don't get a dmp every year and I have 2 kids. If a big 10pt comes by in bow season I'm not going to let it pass. Now I can still hunt in 9p where camp is even if I don't have dmp. With a 1 buck rule that means I'm not taking the time off to go to camp if I can't hunt. That means my kids don't go if I don't go. DEC says only about 5% of hunters kill 2 bucks in 1 year. Buck don't control herd size.

you only take your kids hunting if you can still kill something?....that's not really a good rational for wanting a two buck a year rule.

Exactly right. I know a lot of guys that shoot the first buck they see just to shoot something. Then throw the rack in the shed because its not what they really wanted. Shoot any buck that makes you happy, but only 1. Does anybody really NEED to shoot more than 1 buck a season?

It's more about the opportunity to keep hunting after you kill one. I'd hate to kill a nice buck early October and then be done. I actually enjoy the hunt more than the kill.

• Like 2

It's more about the opportunity to keep hunting after you kill one. I'd hate to kill a nice buck early October and then be done. I actually enjoy the hunt more than the kill.

I agree with you there. Here on the island though, there is always does to hunt.

Another country heard from

Based on what I see around me - yes, I am right.

Difference is I know that is just a snapshot of the state and think overall the DEC has a better idea of it then I or you do looking through our tiny windows.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

Based on what I see I think the majority of antlered deer get killed every year. I hunt three different counties and see roughly 15-20 different 1.5 year old bucks every season, a handful of 2.5, and if I'm lucky one or two true big bucks. And it's the same for the group of six or seven guys I hunt with. I'm not stating this in favor of any particular strategy Id like to see. The only one I'm truly opposed to is antler restrictions. The one I think would help is a shorter gun season but that won't ever happen here.