Is this the modern day turkey poacher?

Grouse

Not sure what Remington was going for with this ad photo.  Some states allow turkey hunting with a rifle and maybe even with a suppressor, but I was just thinking it would be what a turkey poacher would find best to use.  Actually, any poaching would be easier with that set up.

Yes, makes a lot of sense. Spend thousand$ to hunt one of the dumbest things walking around in the woods.

If there are turkeys around, the only thing that will keep you from getting one in close is other hunters bumbling around nearby screwing things up.

If you're trying to get one silently, just use a crossbow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

I once heard an interesting statement... a deer thinks every hunter is a stump in the woods. A turkey thinks every stump in the woods is a hunter. I've found the latter to be closer to the truth.

LOL That's an interesting statement, I'll give you that. If Turkeys had a sense of smell on par with that of a deer, you would have difficulty hunting them.

The thing they do have; is the ability to store in the memory of their little walnut size brain, the location of a call that sounds like another turkey. They will make their way back to that call at some future point in time. If a hunter is patient and motionless, the hunter will see that turkey come close.

I'm sure there are many statements out there, as to how hard it is to get a turkey. People buy books and magazines telling them what to do to outwit one, which is laughable to me.

I will stand by my statement, which I know to be true based on my experience: if there are turkeys nearby, the only thing that will keep one from coming close to your setup (call,decoy, camouflage blind) is another hunter doing something nearby that will totally screw you up.

You will not see that printed in too many places, as that is not something that will sell books or magazines, but it is something any turkey hunter should know.

If subsonic ammo is used in the right cartridge it can be silent, no?
1) No it will never be silent. The closest I have ever seen or heard is 220 grain in 300 blackout, and 158 grain in 9mm. Everything is still over 120 decibels

#2) considering every suppressor made is illegal in NYS. I dont see this happening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Were those "Subsonic" loads though?  I've seen a .22 LR with subsonic rounds fired with a suppressor and it was whisper quiet.  I've heard subsonic loads are quiet even when fired from a non-suppressed rifle, since they don't break the speed of sound.  So far haven't been able to find any for any of the rifles I have.

Didn't think the guy in the picture was a NY hunter, but it sure appears to be a man hunting in the spring woods somewhere.  Not sure what Remington was going for here, unless that's supposed to be a spring bear hunter.

I just think the ad missed the mark by a long shot.

Why is it that a sinister motive has to be attached to a new product? These innovations assist some people, like some women for instance, to enjoy shooting firearms they may not normally handle without flinching or injury.  The cheaters are going to cheat...poachers either already above the curve or simply do not care. I would also reckon that many poachers do not spend the money on technology to assist in their quest.

• Like 2

What came to my mind viewing that photo was "Varmint Hunter", not much love for suppressors myself, cosmetic thing, more about ruining the look of a rifle's lines, remind me in looks of the old poly chokes they once mounted on shotgun barrels.

That being said I probably down through the years would have been much better off with suppressors on some of my firearms with the amount of shooting I have done as I do not hear to well these days.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I believe there are states where suppressors are legal for hunting.  Does it require some special federal permit?  Anyway, I doubt it would have an impact on turkey poachers.  The stories I heard years ago about turkey poaching did not involve firearms.  Geez, poaching turkeys, who would do that anyways?

A suppressor requires a federal tax stamp from the BATFE, much like a full auto weapon would.  They are legal for hunting in a number of states, but few states allow turkey hunting with a rifle.

People illegally hunt turkey all the time.  That's turkey poaching.

How the hell does someone equate that photo to a modern day turkey poacher?  Maybe if there was a turkey decoy in the photo you could argue that but otherwise that photo most likely represents a deer or predator hunter sitting up against a tree.  Many states don't require blaze orange to hunt.  I guess some people think that everyone is up to no good.

It's in a springtime setting and a springtime ad.  That's turkey season.  When you see a bunch of turkey hunting ads and then this one pops up, not to think it's strange would be the exception.

Maybe Remington is embracing bear hunting here.  Is there anything else one can hunt with a rifle in the woods during springtime.  Just wondering if Remington is hitting the mark with these ads.

1a.jpg

Maybe Remington is embracing bear hunting here.  Is there anything else one can hunt with a rifle in the woods during springtime.  Just wondering if Remington is hitting the mark with these ads.
1a.jpg.e0e214575e615ff461f1f21031670512.jpg
Speaking of that. I leave for Saskatchewan on June 3rd for bears with my 338.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

• Like 2