Deer Organs

rj23nyr

Hey My friend shot a nice deer this morning and left the organs (heart, liver, kidney) in the woods with the intestines.  I like to eat them and he said he would bring me back to the spot this afternoon so we could grab them.  I figure there will be too much bacteria on them to be safe.  Is there any way they could be saved?  Like if I cook 'em and feed 'em to my dog or something?  Thanks guys.

Edited by rj23nyr

I usually tuck them in the carcass and if they survive the drag back, I'll package them up.

They're good, but they're not my favorite part of the deer to chew on.

If they fall out along the way I don't go back for them, or if they collect to much leaves or dirt to pick off, I just chuck 'em.

Some people eat the kidneys but I give them to my dog.  I slice a small piece off and give it to him raw; he gives a good sniff and won't eat if the meat has spoiled.  I fry the them in bacon grease.  You have to do the sniff test raw though because once it's got that bacon smell, they'll eat spoiled meat. 

Bacteria grows rapidly at any temp above....40, 45 degrees? I think is what we teach in hunter ed? Gotta grab 'em when they are fresh. And be sure to thoroughly cook them after that. My old zoology instructor, a profsssional in the 'tape worm world', used to constantly tell me there were more 'foreign objects' growing in a deer liver than any other animal organ he had ever examined.

Bacteria grows rapidly at any temp above....40, 45 degrees? I think is what we teach in hunter ed? Gotta grab 'em when they are fresh. And be sure to thoroughly cook them after that. My old zoology instructor, a profsssional in the 'tape worm world', used to constantly tell me there were more 'foreign objects' growing in a deer liver than any other animal organ he had ever examined.

Never thought about this, so raw organ meat should not be given to the dog?  I better microwave it.

yeah, I was under the impression that the liver is a filter that removes all the impurities out of the body, so that is probably pretty accurate.........too much good meat on a deer to resort to eating the guts.

Vector --  My dog drinks the same water as these deer and probably has many of the worms that they do too.  I trust his nose to judge what's good for him.

jjb4900 -- No one said anything about eating the guts.  I'm talking about the organs of the animal, which are too rich in nutrients and proteins to go to waste.  Both liver and kidneys detoxify the body in addition to many other functions.  Just because you have an emotional or visceral reaction to eating them doesn't disqualify them as food.

Vector --  My dog drinks the same water as these deer and probably has many of the worms that they do too.  I trust his nose to judge what's good for him.

jjb4900 -- No one said anything about eating the guts.  I'm talking about the organs of the animal, which are too rich in nutrients and proteins to go to waste.  Both liver and kidneys detoxify the body in addition to many other functions.  Just because you have an emotional or visceral reaction to eating them doesn't disqualify them as food.

Lighten up Frances.....it was a joke.