Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

9 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Last morning to hunt for me up here. Still be at the cabin through Monday, but 90% rain tomorrow and 80% Sunday.

835615336_IMG_20231020_0725297162.thumb.jpg.5f91d6e22a972a99cedfa07d93250a5c.jpg

Almost positive I just saw my third bear in the dacks.

Is it windy where you are at ? It’s blowing about 25 mph from the south, up here on the nw corner of the park.  I’m going to still hunt my way up to the top of the ridge just to have a look around.  If there’s anything up there, they will never hear me coming in this wind. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Is it windy where you are at ? It’s blowing about 25 mph from the south, up here on the nw corner of the park.  I’m going to still hunt my way up to the top of the ridge just to have a look around.  If there’s anything up there, they will never hear me coming in this wind. 

Breezy here, light gusts of about 15mph. Just enough to blow the rest of the leaves down keeping my head on a swivel wondering if its deer, a bear, coyotes, or leaves.

• Like 1

So I got everytrhing done today looked at the clock and it was 4:20. Threw on the hunting clothes and went to the closest stand on the new lease. It borders a clover field. Right across from my house. It wasn't raining so I went. Got in and had 12 Turkey come by 2 were Toms. Rain picked up and I had a Big Doe and two fawns come but would not commit to going to the field and turned around. Not 10 minutes later right behind me at 15 yards another big doe and fawn. I grab my bow and pull up she is a bit spooked and jumps a few feet but is broadside. I put the 10 yard pin on her and let loose. Sounded like I hit her she bounded off and stoped. Hoping she would go down I watched as she tratted away with the fawn but tail was between her legs. Because of the rain I got down right away and looked for the arrow.  I found it and it was a clean miss. While looking for the arrow I said to myself man if I hit her the blood would mix with all this rain on the leaves and it would be hard tracking. I'll take a clean miss. 

• Like 1

Frustrating! Weather was beautiful all week when I was out of town.

Then I wake up this morning to an absolute downpour. There was no way I was going to go sit in that and risk getting sick. Plus, in my past, shooting a deer in that sort of rain is almost guaranteeing a nightmare scenario with trying to track. I don't need that sort of aggravation and heartache, and the woods don't need another wounded and lost deer.

By the way. Is anyone with cameras out there seeing any uptick in middle of the day activity?

Edited by New York Hillbilly
Need to add a question.

1 hour ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Frustrating! Weather was beautiful all week when I was out of town.

Then I wake up this morning to an absolute downpour. There was no way I was going to go sit in that and risk getting sick. Plus, in my past, shooting a deer in that sort of rain is almost guaranteeing a nightmare scenario with trying to track. I don't need that sort of aggravation and heartache, and the woods don't need another wounded and lost deer.

By the way. Is anyone with cameras out there seeing any uptick in middle of the day activity?

I’m out up north for opening day with the bang stick today.  Already have a freezer full of venison, thanks to early antlerless gun season back home, so I’ll definitely be looking to ruin a little meat with a shoulder blade shot today, if I get a chance for one .

I also don’t like trying to follow a blood trail in the rain.  It’s nice and dry, here under my tree umbrella, but the rain is showing no signs of letup.

I brought along plenty of hot cider and candy bars.  I may hang out here till past noon.  I’m not really looking forward to the heavy lifting that my father in law has planned for me later in the barn, getting the back ring chains on his snow plow tractor.   

I also might be able to catch some “lunch push” action, from folks hunting the state land and the big hunting camp, just across the main road, from where I am right now. 

My wounds (cut my finger a little on a wood screw) are almost healed from one of the prior big jobs that I helped him with.  My biggest problem, so far today, was building up the drink holder in my chair with enough broken sticks to hold up my cider cup.  
CBE4ECBE-33D4-492D-B935-A1EC63ECD118.thumb.jpeg.1a53e0fa64642120acf264b8dcfb1ea1.jpeg

Now, if only a big buck don’t show up and spoil the peace and quiet.

8514EF92-5C53-49A9-8E2D-357830EF94B7.thumb.jpeg.f401a05fd09d22543d5e22d48160b499.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I

8514EF92-5C53-49A9-8E2D-357830EF94B7.thumb.jpeg.f401a05fd09d22543d5e22d48160b499.jpeg

Wolc what happened to your Hammock Seat ? They are great !  i bought a couple of the Dead Ringer back 5 years ago . I liked it so much I wanted to get a few more, but they were no longer available. So I ended up buying a few of a different brand that are also very good . Love these seats. Being able to swivel to get the shot is a game changer. One of the brands I bought came with a cam buckle strap instead of a plastic buckle. When I find a hot ambush spot I set one up and leave it there. I will never sit on the ground or logs again !  LOL

Aseat.JPG

The plan was to be on stand by 3:30.  Then couldn’t find my truck keys( still can’t) so I had to dig the wheeler out of the garage. Then couldn’t find my release and had to hunt for that.

Finally got in my pine tree stand and the sky opened up again and getting drenched. Now it’s just a constant drizzle and windy. Not sure if I’ll stay or head back to the house and hang out with my 6 year old grandson.  

When will I grow up? Hahaha

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Wolc what happened to your Hammock Seat ? They are great !  i bought a couple of the Dead Ringer back 5 years ago . I liked it so much I wanted to get a few more, but they were no longer available. So I ended up buying a few of a different brand that are also very good . Love these seats. Being able to swivel to get the shot is a game changer. One of the brands I bought came with a cam buckle strap instead of a plastic buckle. When I find a hot ambush spot I set one up and leave it there. I will never sit on the ground or logs again !  LOL

Aseat.JPG

I still have it and have been using it all week.  It’s no good in heavy rain though, because it collects the runoff from the tree and gives me a wet butt.  
I do miss the swivel feature with the camp chair though.  

The camp chair is just as comfortable, after I get it blocked up and level.  Definitely a pain to carry, compared to the hammock seat, but quieter and faster to take down.  

One of the plastic teeth on the clip on my tree hammock has been broke off for about the last (5) years.  I always need to made sure I buckle it with the good tooth on top, or it lets go when I sit in it  I always pile up the leaves under it, just in case the other tooth breaks off.  

Clearing then leaves under my feet also makes for a quiet turn, when the deer shows up behind me.  I definitely like the full 360 degree shooting from the tree hammock.  All of my raised blinds have swivel office chairs on them, for the same reason.  

The only time I can’t shoot, in any direction, is when it’s raining and I’m in that camp chair, or in one of my two ladder stands or my two hang-ons.  

I have been in position, down in the steam bottom hot-spot, since 15 minutes before sunrise.  I drove the plow truck down to the trail-head in the rain to save a little time and stay a little drier.  

There are a couple old, falling-down lean-to’s nearby, one of which held a soft-topped, swivel-based chair with arm rests and full lumbar back support.  My father in law uses that for hunting beavers in the stream.  

I dragged it out a short distance, propped it up level next to a pine tree, and rigged my tree umbrella above.  The rain had been falling steady, but I have been relatively dry and comfortable so far.  

Two problems I had in the rain yesterday, in my camp chair under the umbrella were wet knees on my bibs, from moccasional drops that struck them, and inability to swivel for 360 degree shot capability.

This chair lets me shoot all around, and I’m wearing my insulated chest waders today, so no problem there.  Today’s issues are it’s about 10 degrees colder (36 F), and the wader rubber boots are not as warm as the Timberland-pro insulated leather, composite-toe loggers boots that I had worn on my prior hunts. My knees are staying dry though. 

I’m going to try and hold out here until around 11:00, then head back for lunch with the in-laws, then pack up for the 4.5 hour drive home.  Maybe I’ll make that 4 hours, to my parents house, and have supper with them.

Only the appearance of a buck, with 3 or more points on a side or a bear in the next (2) hours, could throw a wrench in my plans.  
6E9B0AEE-C405-474F-8666-A31FBA0B6DEE.thumb.jpeg.9a48cf3200eefa2e958a98655dac6d36.jpeg

B4B4C33F-1F7E-4019-9C1C-915312628C9A.thumb.jpeg.f24dee57cb1ff1b40c092d6fc017bb5e.jpeg

Our buddy,  from down at the end of the lake, left his Cat #12 road grader parked blocking the trail so I’d have to drag any carcass out by hand.  
F7C7CAEA-409A-49A2-97BC-3E4AEBB0F57C.thumb.jpeg.6358b1f045ade07c1c55338e05f03c70.jpeg

At least that makes for a nice, smooth drive back to my in-laws house, with no potholes.  

Edited by wolc123