Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

I thought I would share a couple pics from my stand I was in the other day. 

This was my view the other day from my ladder stand. If you look in the distance in the first pic 19B69F57-7BB1-4FBC-BDD9-53BB60AFE1BE.thumb.jpeg.b883c61ed0ae51e714a49f893f745366.jpegyou can see the island with my trash heap blind. If you enlarge the pic you can actually see the blind.  The deer were in between these two stands. 

The second picture is another view from the stand overlooking my hill and across to the rolling farm fields across the road. 

3D7639E6-7514-4600-BAE5-C205D2412B22.thumb.jpeg.70aa1e83ea5892aeb468d764263ede51.jpeg

I’ll hit the same spot Saturday morning.  

• Like 8

14 hours ago, First-light said:

Thanks guys! I'm blessed with such great hunting property and good neighbors. I will do a Euro mount on this one. Last count there have been 15 buck and 10 doe killed this season between the neighbors. My camp has 4 buck 2 doe in that count. Here are the big three we got. 2 and 3 out of the same stand along with 2 doe. First picture was from a stand 100 yards away. 

IMG_2877.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpg

I'll say that you are blessed with a great property.  Most places I've ever known it would take YEARS to kill bucks of that caliber nevermind killing them all in one season.  I think you told us that you leased a property across the road from you or something like that this year.  My question would be why on earth would you spend money on another lease with plenty of deer on your property?  It's your money I guess, but I sure as hell wouldn't if I had deer like that roaming my property.

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

I'll say that you are blessed with a great property.  Most places I've ever known it would take YEARS to kill bucks of that caliber nevermind killing them all in one season.  I think you told us that you leased a property across the road from you or something like that this year.  My question would be why on earth would you spend money on another lease with plenty of deer on your property?  It's your money I guess, but I sure as hell wouldn't if I had deer like that roaming my property.

Hey Steve thanks. Ok so the guys who come up here to hunt want to buy property. We lost a bidding war for a piece that borders me two years ago. So I investigated the property across the road from me. It was being leased by some guys that myself and the neighbors were not fond of. Got in touch with the owner and actually gave him a great offer to sell it to us. He isn't ready so we ended up leasing the property. 2K for 68 acres. Costs us $500 each and we stay in tight with the owner to buy it when he is ready. I would never of leased or offered to buy the property if it was myself. Your right I don't need it. My nephew and his friend are in their 30's and are chomping at the bit to buy something. There you have it!!!

• Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 8:51 PM, First-light said:

What an afternoon. I get to my stand at 3:30 wind , temps were perfect. I hear a shot not too far away. Sounded like it was on my property. My neighbor gets back to me that there was a button buck in my corn field with the ass eaten out of it. Just standing there shaking. Seems like the yotes got this deer but didn't finish the process. Guys it was gross what I saw. He put the deer down. A good thing. So about 4:15 to my right I see two large deer. I have no idea if they were two bucks or a buck locked onto a doe. All I know is the buck started heading my way. It was a real nice 10 pt. Shooter goes off in my mind. I think that second deer was another buck but I never saw horns. So here he comes at 30 yards slight quarter to. I put a slug through the front shoulder and it exits through ribs. He goes down in front plowing up the leaves. I knew I had a good hit but he got out of sight. I get down and head for where I last saw him. Took a few minutes but I found him. Beautiful 10 pt. One tine was sligfhtkly broken and he had a scar on the upper part of nose. I thought that this could of been the buck that My neighbor and I hit opening day. Upon looking at the deer the back hoof was shot off. It was dangling and he was walking on bone. My neighbor and I agreed the buck on opening day was much bigger.  I was thrilled to get this deer this late in season. 5 seconds before I shot this deer my brother texted. Telling me to shoot a big one so you can spend more time with your girlfriend! It worked!!!! Enjoy the picts. 

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg

Nice Buck FL ! Congrats !  Looks like you did that one a favor also . Although he probably would of survived with the hoof gone , I think he still would of been run down by the Yotes because it was the back leg. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, First-light said:

Hey Steve thanks. Ok so the guys who come up here to hunt want to buy property. We lost a bidding war for a piece that borders me two years ago. So I investigated the property across the road from me. It was being leased by some guys that myself and the neighbors were not fond of. Got in touch with the owner and actually gave him a great offer to sell it to us. He isn't ready so we ended up leasing the property. 2K for 68 acres. Costs us $500 each and we stay in tight with the owner to buy it when he is ready. I would never of leased or offered to buy the property if it was myself. Your right I don't need it. My nephew and his friend are in their 30's and are chomping at the bit to buy something. There you have it!!!

Edited by First-light

I was debating on whether to let him walk this morning but considering it’s my last day out and I haven’t had any venison in 3 years …… I decided to take him. He’s a small rack 5 pointer but big enough to kick my ass getting him to my truck. Good luck to everyone who’s still deer hunting.IMG_5057.thumb.jpeg.fa9acc7ae00626f492896c6d90b2eb30.jpeg

• Like 15

I forgot I had to drive to Rochester this morning for my grandsons Christmas concert and his birthday party.  So hunting was off the table for me today. 
But, I’ll definitely be back home and in the woods tomorrow.  

On my way here I saw a couple deer  hunters along Canandaigua Road hunting small wood lots  

The other night I squeezed in the last hour when snow was on the ground, and when I went to my stand there was about a dozen deer in my neighbors corn field about 75 yards the other side of my line. 

All I could do is look at them and they at me as I headed in the opposite direction.  

Great job to those still scoring! 

• Like 2

Rain stopped temperatures falling, and the bucks moved just after sunrise . I passed on the 7 pointer, I found the sheds from at the beginning of this thread.  I know, a lot of you would have shot but, I would have to buy another freezer. Another smaller buck came out right behind him. Nice to see this late in the game.

• Like 2

After driving 2 1/2 hours to get home last night at 12:30am, I woke up late but still got out and played in the rain from 7am until 11am, and saw no deer. Couldn't keep the rain off my glasses or scope so I came back to the house. Still down pouring out there and I'm debating going back out for the last couple hours.  Anyone else out in the rain?

Out here in northern wny, our rain ended about 9:00 am.  There is no more on the way today.  Ive been out since 1:00; and will hunt until the buzzer, 1/2 hour past sunset.  
B329C0D3-60A9-48BF-8BD2-688537763069.thumb.jpeg.48ff61f9b709d46625d11abf15861c64.jpeg

Im getting a Jump on ML, running that for my last gun season hunt.   I’m hoping to reenact this scene from early antlerless season, legally  punching a tag this time.  I had to hold off when DD-10 showed up then:

DA2F83B1-6B98-4882-A97A-28E93D4A85E9.thumb.jpeg.3d3af9243a4d3e76df2c9cebc1950482.jpeg

• Like 1

Got out at 3pm to my deep stand. No wind very overcast felt like something was going to happen. Didn't see a deer. Heard two shots last half hour. That does it. Muzzy will come out tomorrow. Depending on the amount of meat I get back from that Ten point will seal the deal if I shoot a doe. Good luck fellas. 

• Like 1

It continued to rain right up until I went to bed last night, and I woke up to about 3 inches of snow. That figures! It is exactly the way my entire season went this year. I spent many hours out there this season and it was the most uneventful I can remember. Other than the little spike I passed about three times, a small doe, a momma with her medium sized fawn, and what I believe was a nice buck who escaped being shot thanks to heavy rain, fog and low light making it impossible to get him in my scope, it was a deer desert for me this firearm season.

I think I may be done for the year. If I have not been able to even get a deer within rifle range since bow season, I don't expect things to change and have me get within bow range, and I have almost zero confidence with my muzzle loader so I always restrict it's use of that to bow, or at the most shotgun range.

One thing is certain. If I do not decide to sell my place by next year, I plan to totally brush hog every acre of field next year and return it to what it once was. Also, I may finally try to find myself a new hunting partner. Since my Uncle who had been my hunting partner since around 1976  when he returned to the area after he had retired from the Army passed a few years ago, it just has not been the same for me. I still get out there and hammer it pretty hard, but it feels like just going through the motions.

Good luck to those out there today in the snow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

It continued to rain right up until I went to bed last night, and I woke up to about 3 inches of snow. That figures! It is exactly the way my entire season went this year. I spent many hours out there this season and it was the most uneventful I can remember. Other than the little spike I passed about three times, a small doe, a momma with her medium sized fawn, and what I believe was a nice buck who escaped being shot thanks to heavy rain, fog and low light making it impossible to get him in my scope, it was a deer desert for me this firearm season.

I think I may be done for the year. If I have not been able to even get a deer within rifle range since bow season, I don't expect things to change and have me get within bow range, and I have almost zero confidence with my muzzle loader so I always restrict it's use of that to bow, or at the most shotgun range.

One thing is certain. If I do not decide to sell my place by next year, I plan to totally brush hog every acre of field next year and return it to what it once was. Also, I may finally try to find myself a new hunting partner. Since my Uncle who had been my hunting partner since around 1976  when he returned to the area after he had retired from the Army passed a few years ago, it just has not been the same for me. I still get out there and hammer it pretty hard, but it feels like just going through the motions.

Yeah it's not good feeling that way. I felt that way last year and by 1st week of gun I was burnt out. I wouldn't even get up for morning hunts. I think its good you do some work to those fields. I keep mine mowed and get a lot of action and great pictures in those fields. Get that muzzle loaded sighted in. Best thing I did was put a scope on it. Had it bore sighted and I shot it the other day. 40-50 yards I'm an inch high. Sorry about your uncle, hope you find someone to hunt with!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New York Hillbilly said:

We've all experience tough seasons. It part of deer hunting. Maybe deer food sources are the answer. Sounds like you have the soils to till, plant what others haven't.  It does help, Late season included .  

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your bad year mine wasn't a whole lot better. I'm eating my Buck tag for the first time in quite awhile. It seems most people I know and or have talked to didn't have good years. I'm not sure where you're located but if you're ever interested in making a trip up north to the tug hill area I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you around. I just got back Saturday night from a hunting road trip where I got to meet and hunt with a current member of the site. I had a great time and am looking forward to meeting up with him again next year.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just hunted an hour tonight. On my way out 6 deer were in the corn. I stalked (no pun intended) to about 40 yards. All good looking deer but chose not to shoot. Just a bit too dark and I have a commitment at 6:30. I'll sit in the field by a utility pole or in a box by field edge tomorrow. 

• Like 5