How do you carry your arrows...

Vince1

Stabbed myself in the hand after finding Deer shangrala, they were all over the place. set up my stand then 20 feet up in the air I find out just how sharp I got my zwickey deltas, I must say they are very sharp indeed and opened a hole in my hand that didn't stop bleeding for most of the day. (3 Stitches)

So after this experience I am trying to figure out the best way to keep my broadheads safe from me.

I shoot recurve and always thought keeping them on a bow quiver would throw off my shot giving me more weight on the bow. currently use a hip quiver which I love but after evaluating my setup while climbing down a tree with one hand and getting all my gear packed up for a mile hike. im thinking it might be better to keep them in the quiver on the bow till its time to shoot.

Im torn between my need to shoot at squirrels when im bored and getting a 3 arrow quiver because its light. just curious if anyone shoots recurve with a quiver on if it makes a big difference.

next week im taking out my wifes xbow if my hands not better, she thinks im nuts.

Oh and thank goodness I have a decent first aid kit, gauze bandage rolls ROCK

Not a trad. Hunter ,but I commend you for carrying first aid gear. We all have sharp knives and broadheads,and accidents happen. You can do a lot with gauze and some 4x4s,but I've taken to carrying quic colt products. Combat gauze and clotting sponge.

Heres a link.

http://www.quikclot.com/Products

Steri strips are good for wound closing too !

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MC3SD/Wound-Care/Steri-strips/

Edited by Larry302

I use a compound with a quiver that attaches to it.  Once I get to my spot, I take the quiver off and lay/hang it next to me.  If I'm moving closer to a deer, I leave my quiver behind but if I'm stalking for the day then I just leave the quiver on the bow.

I use a back quiver for trad, and it hold just 4 arrows. I do not do much stalking but when I do I take one arrow out and hold it in my right hand. Being old as dirt, I now feel that is not a smart way to go, iof you slip and fall you may stick yourself. They make some very good quiver that fit on a trad bow for a recurve or long bow and they cost about $75 bucks. The back quiver I use was a quiver for a kid, that cost $15 bucks, I just took the belt loop off and put in a rope that goes from the bottom of the quiver to the top side of the quiver. It meets all my needs. I did stuff a part old t shirt  in the bottom so as I walk the arrows with BH on them do not make noise.

Edited by sweet old bill

My oldest son shoots a recurve and makes his own footed shafts . He has , what I believe is a shoulder / back quiver and sliced one of his fingers on a blade . I don't see why these quivers don't have more depth on the blade end to better protect the blades and make it safer . He shoots with single bevel blades and they are sharp !

I go out with 4, quiver attached to bow, I leave it on. Hasn't been an issue. The 4th arrow usually has a used head for porcupines or such critter. I've shot-practiced without it, I really don't see what the big deal is. Found it's a good habit to keep the quiver on the outside while carrying the bow, helps avoid heads cutting into gear and expensive hunting clothes.

Vince1 has new-found respect for broadheads.  :derisive:

i use a hip quiver... hold 8 arrows, 6 for deer 1 for turkey and 1 for small game. not sure how your quiver caused you to cut your hand?

Not so much the quiver i guess but the habits i got from usin the quiver.

Always keep an arrow knocked or lay it down near me. This day i had it in my mouth while in stand breakin branch and the branch broke on the pull an slammed into broadhead.

2 inchs down and i woulda slit my wrist.

Looked at the quick detach and goin with kwikee combo 4 arrows. But will keep it on and shoot

And yup. I have a new respect for broadheads. Didnt feel a thing but presur. After the shock i was quite amazed.

I am using a homemade back quiver using leather.  Broadheads are starting to slice up the interior. I either need to find something to use as a liner and stiffen up the leather, or buy something to use.  Yesterday I decided to have the shafts in quiver, boxed broadheads in my pocket, 1 arrow with the broadhead attached in free hand.

Two weeks ago I slipped in the mud crossing a wet area and going up the embankment while stalking with a knocked arrow (lots of brush around so I wanted to be ready).  Heard something snap as I hit the ground.  There were three possibilities: the branch I landed on, the bow, or the arrow.  The arrow snapped.  Glad I had it pointed away from me and it snapped on the ground.  But there is always the possibility it could have hit something else and had the broadhead tip flying back at me.

There is a reason they look like razor-blades, they are that sharp.  Lets all be careful out there.