Just shot a deer could use some help

BowWeldingJohn

Do you think that deer will return to her normal activtys? Or will she abandon her old patterns.

I've seen it with my own 2 eyes... However, I am not saying that's where you hit, only guessing.  My dad shot one there, and a week later he killed it.  The deer was 100% fine.  broad head went through tippy top of rib cage into the top bone below the spinal cord.

Edited by LuckyPickle123

That picture really doesn't show anything besides a dead deer chopped in half.  Inflation/deflation of lungs play a huge role here.  I believe he hit there because I have seen broad heads lodged in that area when skinning/cutting up.  Also, my dad hit one there, and it dropped right on the spot almost paralyzed for a minute.  He shot and killed it a week later.  They don't always go down on shoulder hits.  I actually don't ever remember any one telling me they went down on a shoulder hit with an arrow.  Ill guarantee you that broad head was near the spinal cord for that reaction

Theres a pretty extensive thread on deer anatomy on here. Its pinned. The proverbial "no mans land" between the lungs and spine does not exist. High, non fatal hits will go above the spine, right through the backstraps. They will bleed like a stuck pig for about 100 to 200 yards, then the blood will disappear, alot of times, you find big blood clots right before it disappears.

• Like 1

I really wish I would of snapped a picture the few times I've seen this.  The shot was definitely not through the straps.  Your more than like going to get a full pass through on the soft meat up there, and its not going to bring the deer to the ground.  This was below the spine, top of rib cage.  Deer was 100% healthy and OK the next week........

Edited by LuckyPickle123

Did you slowly check for blood from last spot along all possible routes? If you marked blood for 65 yards is she heading in a straight line? When I absolutely peter out on a blood trail and this much time has passed I do a grid search from last blood. 400 yards out all the way around spend special attention to game trails, water and thickets.. walk a grid back and forth every 10 yards.

Good luck,

I really wish I would of snapped a picture the few times I've seen this.  The shot was definitely not through the straps.  Your more than like going to get a full pass through on the soft meat up there, and its not going to bring the deer to the ground.  This was below the spine, top of rib cage.  Deer was 100% healthy and OK the next week........

I made a shot a couple of years ago where it went right through the backstraps. The arrow stayed in the deer until brush pulled it out. The same arrow, bow, etc has punched right through numerous deer, so it wasnt a matter of speed, Ke, etc. It happens. If the arrow hit one of the bones that stick up from the spine, and broke it, etc, it can stun the deer and knock them down.

Sorry, but you are wrong about the below the spine thing.

• Like 1

WNY that first picture of the thread shows a gap between the lungs and the spinal cord lol.  And I have read that thread numerous of times.  Live pictures would be the only picture I go by as it is a live deer and not an animated pictures (just not the one sawed in half in this post :rolleyes: )

Edited by LuckyPickle123

Lol I'm seriously not trying to argue here.  The only thing I'm trying to say is my statement is no OPINIATED, I have seen it.  Deer was skinned and there sat the broad head lodged in the top of the rib cage. 

I am not saying that can't happen. I have seen broadheads lodged in the spine and bone grown around it. I was speaking of you assertion of how the lungs operate.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

WNY that first picture of the thread shows a gap between the lungs and the spinal cord lol.  And I have read that thread numerous of times.  Live pictures would be the only picture I go by as it is a live deer and not an animated picture

No it doesnt. The bones you see above the lungs are the vertical pieces that go up from the spine. They are not rib bones.

Those "animated pictures" are computer generated Images done in layers, and are anatomically correct. Its not some cartoon site that I pulled them from. They came from the D&DH shot placement software. The other drawings and diagrams came from biologist sites.

I would assume that any air pockets inside a chest cavity and around any vital organs would be fatal in itself. I'd say you'd have to thread the needle to miss lung or spine and a broadhead would likely hit one or the other.

One of the biggest problems with that high lung hit, especially from the ground, is how little they can bleed. with an entrance and exit hole so high it takes a lot of blood and then it has to run down a lot of hair in order to drip.