Is Ozonics worth it?

JusTheUsual

I have one.  Without a Question in my mind, the most important piece of equipment I take out with me in the woods!!!!!!!

I bought one for this year after getting frustrated with being busted by deer over my years of hunting.  Please note that I have always been a freak when it comes to scent control.  Scent free shower, wash clothes in scent free detergent, throw in dryer to activate carbon, keep clothes in air tight container, only put clothes on when in field, and then spray down big time.  Still..... I was always busted if a deer got downwind on me.  I have had numerous deer downwind this year from me and they keep on walking as if I wasn't even there.  Talk about putting a smile on my face!!!  Now, I haven't had a mature buck walk through yet downwind (and hopefully he doesn't anyways).  But, I have had mature does, small bucks, and a 2 1/2 downwind, and they never busted me.  They will look up at you, as the ozone is a foreign smell to them.  However, they cant associate the smell with danger, so they just keep on walking as if nothing ever happened.  Truly amazing!! I would like to think that my quality of hunting has also dramatically improved as I could count with a couple fingers how many deer have busted me this year out of the stand.

The more I think about it... the few mature bucks I've seen so far this year were downwind of me... and they never even looked in my direction.  They were a 100 yards away or so, but still... they got great noses as we all know.

Edited by LuckyPickle123

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing one the last two years. I have yet to pull the trigger. It seems like threads like this pop up from time to time and I always read them. It seems there is always one person that swears by it and a bunch of people that wouldn't waste their money. Do the people who say it is kool-aide or that it is a waste have one? Have they ever used one? Do they no somebody that has used one? I don't know anybody that has one or has used one but the one thing I do know is there is always someone that swears they work. There are never any used ones available in the classifieds on this site or any other that I have found so the people that purchase them seem to be keeping them. There was an article I read where they were able to fool a tracking dogs nose with one. The dog still found the person but it took him more than twice as long and he seemed unsure when he did find the person. Still $400 is a lot of coin to me but I am very interested in purchasing one at some point. If I ever do I will be sure to post my findings. I will just make sure I have my flame suit on.....

Question : 

Mind you I try and keep my hunting clothes as odor free as possible. Wash them before season and when needed but don't hang them outside or put them in a tub just back of car. Never really sold on Scentlock and the merchandising. I play the wind

So here's my question :

During gun season, deer can't smell all the gun oil and Hoppe's #9 on your guns? Gotta think that's a pretty strong odor for them to pick up on. Everytime i open my safe I can smell it. Just curious 

Ozonics not for me.

JFB - the theory of "ozone" is that it is such an instable molecule that it needs to bond with something immediately.  The only thing for it to bond to out in the woods is scent molecules.  Ozone is a different molecule than scent, so it is a different smell.  Yes it completely rids are scent molecules, but it still has a smell to it that is foreign to deer.  When a fawn is raised by its mother, she teaches it of foreign smells, animals, and other threats that could potentially harm them.  They were never taught about ozone, hence why they can not associate it with danger.  Don't get me wrong, they may check you out and they will definitely check the wind, but from my experience, they keep on walking with no sense of fear.

I read a pile of negative reviews on these things saying they don't work, don't waste your money, the ozone will make you sick / light headed, etc.  I have nothing but positive things to say about this machine.  I could have shot plenty of deer this year that were dead down wind thanks to mine

Question : 

Mind you I try and keep my hunting clothes as odor free as possible. Wash them before season and when needed but don't hang them outside or put them in a tub just back of car. Never really sold on Scentlock and the merchandising. I play the wind

So here's my question :

During gun season, deer can't smell all the gun oil and Hoppe's #9 on your guns? Gotta think that's a pretty strong odor for them to pick up on. Everytime i open my safe I can smell it. Just curious 

Ozonics not for me.

I would bet all the money that I have that it is going to work.  This is my first year with it, so I haven't used it yet during gun season.  Oh trust me, I still play the wind, but we live in a valley, so the wind can be blowing in a complete opposite direction when you get in the stand.  Ozonics has saved my butt every time.  Ozonics is the real deal!

Spend 15 minutes on google finding out the science of how ozone works. Stay away from the ozonics anecdotal observations - go with actual science. Ozone is a great odor killer when produced in high enough concentrations and allowed sufficient contact time. Neither is able to happen in an open uncontrolled environment.

Save your money.

Or buy a $50 one and use it on your clothes or equipment in a closet.

Works great that way.

• Like 2

Interesting posts. If I don't see a deer or shoot one this year I probably will pick one up for next year lol Didn't see a deer last year until I walked out of the woods and 2mins later does were standing right where I walked out of the woods and was getting too dark to shoot. I was like bleep bleep bleep lol I use the hunters gold soap and scentblocker clothes and different kinds of scent killing spray.

I have used one for three years now and would not go in the woods without it. I'm always amused by the Naysayers who claim it's a gimmick or does not work, yet none of these "experts" have ever used one. We have seven members in our camp and all of us use Ozonics and swear by them. In my opinion it was the best money I ever spent on hunting equipment.

• Like 1

Spend 15 minutes on google finding out the science of how ozone works. Stay away from the ozonics anecdotal observations - go with actual science. Ozone is a great odor killer when produced in high enough concentrations and allowed sufficient contact time. Neither is able to happen in an open uncontrolled environment.

Save your money.

Or buy a $50 one and use it on your clothes or equipment in a closet.

Works great that way.

Does it work great that way?? 15 minutes on Google and he's giving an actual product review that he's never even used. Lol I get a kick from this stuff

I have used one for three years now and would not go in the woods without it. I'm always amused by the Naysayers who claim it's a gimmick or does not work, yet none of these "experts" have ever used one. We have seven members in our camp and all of us use Ozonics and swear by them. In my opinion it was the best money I ever spent on hunting equipment.

No doubt

Does it work great that way?? 15 minutes on Google and he's giving an actual product review that he's never even used. Lol I get a kick from this stuff

The 15 minutes was for someone like you with no actual knowledge of the science of ozone.

One who has learned it from celebrity paid endorsements, product advertising and anecdotal observations with no controls, unlimited variables and no way to actually measure and quantify those observations.

Those who have actually worked with ozone as a purifier and scent eliminator and understand what it takes for it to be effective are way past the 15 minutes that any reasonably intelligent person would need to learn it can't work in the open without producing levels of ozone that would be deadly to anyone exposed to it.

I'm not an expert and never claimed to be an expert.  I know many hunters that don't use it, won't use it, they're just smart experienced hunters, they get nice deer consistently. 

I say gimmick because its Advertised as if all you do is hang Ozonics and you are good to go.  No no no, you still have to do everything possible regardless if you use it or not. 

It's more important to be scent free as possible, play the wind, setup stands in smart areas.  That's all I'm saying.