Would You Support a Blaze Orange Compromise?

wildcat junkie

I just do not need the false sense of security.  I think most incidents in all honesty are  intentional. There is no other excuse for shooting someone in the woods.. I also think if the penalties were much stiffer and you were charged with murder as it should be, the numbers would be lower than they are now.  Also remember that our incident numbers are as o low or not lower than states with mandatory BO.  I also do not wear camo. I wear green and black wool.  Plus of it is your time, it is your time. If a stray bullet takes me out what better place to go than the woods.  As far as a helmet when riding, I would think if you are that concerned about a mishap falling on your family, you are much more likely to get t-boned on your bike.  Why would you risk it with a piece of fiberglass on your head.  All it might do is allow for an open casket, and it is also a false sense of security.  You justify hobbies that are much more dangerous, but are scared to be in the woods without a bright color on.  I just do not see the logic. 

• Like 2

I am purely asking to see what reasons are personal preference is fine with me as it's not a law....i was looking for more of a scientific reason or experience reasons...orange is like caliber choice it's a preference there is no law...i wear it and everyone I know does too....but not required and yes riding my rocket is much much more dangerous than being in the woods without orange...I just ask for knowledge nothing more

On that note I am done with this topic. I can only say the same things so many times especially since they fall on deaf ears anyway.  

Yea their pretty much on a one way street. If you dont see things their way, umm lets see you must be stupid you can't spell you missed your meds you know the typical stuff lol.

• Like 1

Of all the insanely ludacrous posts I have seen, stating that most hunting fatalities are intentional takes the cake. :wacko:

As far as penalties not being stiff enough. Criminally reckless homicide is not a slap on the wrist. It's no more or less severe than if one went out & killed someone with a motor vehicle under negligent circumstances. As it should be.

Where did I say it would be illegal to set up before sunrise of leave after sunset? I'm only saying that if you were caught in your stand with a loaded gun after hours you could be written a ticket & good luck with the judge. If you admitted to having a loaded gun sitting on stand after sundown during deer season I don't think your argumants would hold up in court.

Me personaly I don't care one way or the other. It's none of my business. If you are hunting after sundown you know it.

That's all that matters unless you get caught. Then there may be consiqueces.

Not the same thing, but I was in court fror traffic ticket when a guy was there answering a loaded gun in the vehicle charge. That's a misdemeanor, not a violation. A whole nuther ball of wax. Yes they had to "prove" the case, but he had to spend the time to go to court & it was his word against the DEC officer. the judge didn't throw it out.

The point is you might still have to take the time to go to court & if it's your word against the LEO, good luck with that.

See above.

my point is, the only thing you could be charged with is hunting outside of legal hours and many people do it in some form or another, there is no charge for possessing a loaded firearm outside of legal hours....once you start pursuing game you fall into that category.

Edited by jjb4900

Of all the insanely ludacrous posts I have seen, stating that most hunting fatalities are intentional takes the cake. :wacko:

As far as penalties not being stiff enough. Criminally reckless homicide is not a slap on the wrist. It's no more or less severe than if one went out & killed someone with a motor vehicle under negligent circumstances. As it should be.

It is criminally negligent homicide not reckless and it should be at least 2nd degree.  There is no excuse for it except the dead guy was not wearing orange I guess. 

my point is, the only thing you could be charged with is hunting outside of legal hours and many people do it in some form or another, there is no charge for possessing a loaded firearm outside of legal hours....once you start pursuing game you fall into that category.

I'm playing devils advocate here.

Isn't sitting on the stand with a loaded weapon "pursuing game"? And yes hunting outside of legal hours is what i am talking about, not having a loaded weapon persee.

And, as you say, many people do it so why not extend the hours as many other states have done to reduce the number of people that are breaking the law anyway?

In the SZ or other places where extreme hunting pressure is what gets the deer moving, the extra 1/2 hour in the evening would have ittle affect on success. On my property which is subjected only to low pressure hunting by a few hunters, deer move more naturally. That last 1/2 hour of daylight can be your best chance to kill a mature buck.

Sometimes, when they are rut crazed, they move at all times of the day. I killed a buck last year at 2:15 PM, this year at 3:30 PM. When they are cautious, they move during the last hour of daylight & the closer it gets to dark, the more likely they are to show up.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Data from NYS between 1989 and 1995

Reason for accident: Mistaken for game         5% wore B/O     94% did not    1% unknown

Reason for accident: Out of sight                    37% wore B/O   58% did not    5% unknown

Reason for accident: In Line of Fire                30% wore B/O   62% did not    8% unknown

Reason for accident: unintentional discharge  28% wore B/O   69% did not    3% unknown

Reason for accident: struck by ricochet           35% wore B/O   62% did not    3% unknown

Reason for accident: Other/ Unknown            44% wore B/O   66% did not    0% unknown

Total of all reasons                                           24% wore B/O   73% did not    3% unknown

Obviously, blaze orange is not a magic bullet that eliminates all hunting accidents. However, the numbers do show that the use of blaze orange does have a significant impact on safety.

OMG next weekend is late muzzleloader and bow, what to wear, what to wear????? I think camo pants to satisfy my need to be concealed with the bow and a BO vest and hat to keep me visible  to smoke pole hunters. That's the ticket! lol

Seriously I will, depending who shows up at camp, be giving up my muzzleloader to a younger guy to hunt with. I will hunt with my bow and have a BO vest and hat on. 

Edited by First-light

STONE...I could give you the science behind it but it's to long to adequately explain...even for me...lol...Once this old brain kicks in I'll post the link...it does have every thing to do with your sight and how your brain can perceive what you see. Then proccess that from memories...over riding realities...This should be well understood by Bubba..it's in is field I would think...DISCLAIMER, THAT WAS NOT ANY SORT OF DIG OR SLIGHT!)

Edited by growalot

I just do not need the false sense of security. I think most incidents in all honesty are intentional.

SZ need to fill the freezer ??? Really you sir have lost it !!!!!

Quite a statement!!!!!

Know what I base those statements on.  What everyone on here types.  that is what my opinions are based on. I read how shots are fired from before daylight to after dark. I read about having to hit the ground as bullets fly over your head.  I read about 5 shot volleys over and over again.  I read about drives with many people. I hear over and over brown is down.  You tell me what conclusions one is to draw from that.  

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1

Know what I base those statements on.  What everyone on here types.  that is what my opinions are based on. I read how shots are fired from before daylight to after dark. I read about having to hit the ground as bullets fly over your head.  I read about 5 shot volleys over and over again.  I read about drives with many people. I hear over and over brown is down.  You tell me what conclusions one is to draw from that.  

So true, all you have to do is listen!  Oh and comprehend....Thats where the problem lays with most...

Data from NYS between 1989 and 1995

Reason for accident: Mistaken for game 5% wore B/O 94% did not 1% unknown

Reason for accident: Out of sight 37% wore B/O 58% did not 5% unknown

Reason for accident: In Line of Fire 30% wore B/O 62% did not 8% unknown

Reason for accident: unintentional discharge 28% wore B/O 69% did not 3% unknown

Reason for accident: struck by ricochet 35% wore B/O 62% did not 3% unknown

Reason for accident: Other/ Unknown 44% wore B/O 66% did not 0% unknown

Total of all reasons 24% wore B/O 73% did not 3% unknown

Obviously, blaze orange is not a magic bullet that eliminates all hunting accidents. However, the numbers do show that the use of blaze orange does have a significant impact on safety.

Lol...what I get from this info is bo is magic.. protects me from accidental discharges,ricochets, etc.... Edited by ncountry

KInd of like a helmet law, it protects you from some other fools actions too.  Kind of nuts to not wear one isn't it?

How about a seatbelt law?  They protect from all angles; another driver mistake or your own f-up.  You have a view on them?

Just curious.............................

No, the helmet and the seat belt protect you.  A law making you wear them is a threat to you.  If we need laws to get people to have common sense, we're better off letting Darwinism take care of the problems.

There is no life guard in the gene pool!

Know what I base those statements on. What everyone on here types. that is what my opinions are based on. I read how shots are fired from before daylight to after dark. I read about having to hit the ground as bullets fly over your head. I read about 5 shot volleys over and over again. I read about drives with many people. I hear over and over brown is down. You tell me what conclusions one is to draw from that.

Sounds like hearsay in court???

Soooo you believe everything you read ,, well maybe you should hunt the SZ and see it's not all that???

I wear a hat in for my protection even though the properties. I hunt does not have any other hunters on it ,, I do it because my wife feels more comfortable not worrying about me ,, the least I can do for her..

I would wear blaze orange if the powers to be , would let me take deer at dawn and dusk,, it would allow me to have more time after work and would of put a few big bucks on the wall that I had to let walk..

I go in at dark and leave close to dark as most of the hunters i see??? A lot of times because of deer being spooked or out when I come in or out..most deer I have shot in the AM are at 7.30 ??? And the PM around 4.00 PM

I haven't been shot or mistaking for a deer,,does it happen of course it does, accidents will always happen in any sport or activity no matter how safe you are..

Being told to wear a vest in not much different that being told to wear a helmet??? I ride and think I should have the choice , but I would wear one anyway if the law was different..

The only point I was trying to get across is wearing orange IMO would help with accidents regardless of the sunrise sunset law , dusk to dawn fight ... In changing the law would IMO not have a increase in the amount of hunting accidents ...

Lack of experience and the need to get a deer to brag , will always have a effect on the accident rate ,, as does the drinking the night before hunting,, and the vast range of different people from all, walks of life ..

People who shouldn't be in the woods at all with a gun,,, Buck fever, getting up early and being new to the sport can lead your mind into seeing something that may not be ... Which goes back to a orange vest may help, not cure

• Like 1

Like I said I take it from what I read on here.  Just repeating what I read. Everything I posted came from posts on here.   Bottom line wear what you want, and I will wear what I want.  Simple as that. And you wonder why hunters get a bad name.  I have no desire to go to the SZ and deal with the Orange army as I have read on here.  I havew no desire to go to the SZ to be shot at and trampled by other hunters.  Those opinions areas I said based on what I have read here.  I was had to hunt in places like that, I would not hunt.