CBS Channel 8 Rochester

fasteddie

They had a blurb on the news about the over abundance of deer in the area . They said the deer population has increased and isn't being controlled effectively . Some Deer Management guy was on there and stated that not enough deer are being taken by hunters and that some of the control was by "road kill" . They showed several shots of deer roaming in lawns and said as suburban sprawl increased the deer had less habitat . No fooling .

Deer know where they are safe . I am not seeing deer in the woods during the daylight hours and places where I have gotten several deer pics on camera are not showing up now . Kinda sucks to drive 100 miles round trip and not see deer .

It isn't any different down the road in Buffalo.  Anything West of Rt 78 is off-limits in northern Erie County and that seems to be where I see all my deer.  

I seen a nice buck on Maple Rd.  the other night. He was heading towards Clarence, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

They had a blurb on the news about the over abundance of deer in the area . They said the deer population has increased and isn't being controlled effectively . Some Deer Management guy was on there and stated that not enough deer are being taken by hunters and that some of the control was by "road kill" . They showed several shots of deer roaming in lawns and said as suburban sprawl increased the deer had less habitat . No fooling .

Deer know where they are safe . I am not seeing deer in the woods during the daylight hours and places where I have gotten several deer pics on camera are not showing up now . Kinda sucks to drive 100 miles round trip and not see deer .

I'll trade your 100 RT for my 360....I feel your pain, but either way I had some nice deer on my cams, but never saw anything in daytime hours

Even up here on the tundra the deer know where they are safe.

They are living right in the village of Potsdam. When my son had to walk to his job he used to cut through behind the elementary school. He had mature buck posturing at him as he went through the field after dark. He wisely changed his route to avoid the area. At 6' tall  & 200# he isn't a small guy but he said the deer was bigger than him.

are you 150' from a neighbor and able to shoot from an elevated platform?

What Lawdaz said.

Also, if you look at the area NYS has closed to hunting, in my area everything west of Rt. 78 (Transit Rd.) is off-limits no matter how far from houses and what township.  

Was driving down Rt. 96 in Pittsford last night headed to a side job and right next to a garage just outside the village was a doe. and two bucks fighting. They we probably 120's but couldn't see their horns well enough to count points because they were really going at it and I was doing 40 in traffic...lol. They were about 30 yards off the road.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm going to be moving to the Buffalo area this spring from Iowa and here we have urban hunting where we are allowed to bow hunt in city limits with the right permits. Does NY offer any kind of opportunities like that especially in WNY?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm going to be moving to the Buffalo area this spring from Iowa and here we have urban hunting where we are allowed to bow hunt in city limits with the right permits. Does NY offer any kind of opportunities like that especially in WNY?

Irondequoit had that for a few years after spending thousands of dollars on off duty cops doing Bait & Shoot . A bow hunter had to pass a qualification course and get in a lottery for the special permit . There were special rules and regulations as well as specific hours to hunt / shoot . A bow hunter would be assigned a specific spot to hunt . I don't know if they still do this or not .