wooly's 2015 shed season...

wooly

1-21-15

Thanks guys!

Ever get the feeling before you ever leave the house that today is gonna be your day?
That happened to me today.

I had a real good feeling I'd find one, but it took a while.
 I got into an island of hemlocks in the creek bottom I check nearly every hike through there but never find anything as good as it looks.... except this time was different.
A nice fresh funky 4pt was going home with me today.
A real nice grab with all the snow we still got. I found this one laying on the side of a cluster of 6 beds!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Antlers- 2

Sets- 0

Dead doe/fawns- 1

Dead bucks- 1

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, guess who finally woke up from his winter slumber?
I finally put antler #3 on the pile today.
I wasn't really looking for horns.... just trying to find a place to cross the creek to take some pics when I spotted this guy melted out in a swampy section.
I hope there's more around. I forgot how much fun it is to find these things!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Antlers- 3

Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 1

Dead doe/fawns- 15

• Like 5

Nice find, good buddy !! I had begun to wonder if you had given up shed hunting for more productive, like chasing wild women....

LMAO- I did..., but I'm having a hard time finding any of them this year too, so..., back to the antlers!

Thanks guys!

This antler actually has a 9" G-2 so I'll post another pic angle that shows it better with my next installment. Only problem I have is I can't tell if it's fresh or old..... not that it matters at this point, but it would be nice to know if I should watch for him this year or not.

Red- I've only been through Frankentines territory once while there was knee deep snow.

I think that area will be on the schedule for this weekend!

Man, I sure would love to find another set of his! It feels weird to be getting off to such a late start, but there wasn't much I could do about it besides try to be patient.

• Like 2

The snow sure was crazy out your way this year especially with the big storm in November. I hope when you get into his area you find his sheds.

Good luck to you guys im sure yous will be finding the sheds left and right or one after the other lol over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

Today I pumped some air in the bike tires and ripped down some of the park trails away from the crowds.
15 minutes after I got my feet on the ground, I found this busted rack in a flooded section of an orchard thicket.

original.jpg

Then I got cookin' to another area that I know always melts out sooner than the timber when I spotted another one in one of my favorite kinds of brush to look for antlers in!

Can you see the antler...?

original.jpg

original.jpg

...and both of them together.
They aren't very pretty, but they gave me some motivation to find some new freshies!

I've given up counting dead deer this year. The good news is only one dead buck so far, but the doe/fawn count is now at least 35+

original.jpg

original.jpg

Antlers- 5

Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 1

Dead doe/fawns- ??????

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

I've given up counting dead deer this year. The good news is only one dead buck so far, but the doe/fawn count is now at least 35+

Out of curoisity, what do you attribute this seemingly high winter kill to? Early deep snow cover in your area that stressed the deer early & then downhill from there? Or aren't those #s unusually high?

• Like 2

Out of curoisity, what do you attribute this seemingly high winter kill to? Early deep snow cover in your area that stressed the deer early & then downhill from there? Or aren't those #s unusually high?

Yep- that had a lot to do with it.

Combine that with a generally high deer population in this area and the prolonged lingering snow pack has made it very hard on last years fawns.

Some of the fields have opened up here but there's still a good amount of snow in some of the woods.

Finding a total of 40 dead wouldn't be too uncommon any given shed season. The only problem is, I just got started a couple weeks ago and still have a lot of ground to cover, so I don't think this is going to end any time soon.

Most of what I'm finding are still pretty fresh. Carcasses don't lay around long before their picked clean here. I thought this last deer looked strange in that spread eagle position,lol

DSC_2034_zpsiu2hn6qy.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsdjbk4oss.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsmnh9vdjp.jpg

• Like 1

Guys... I don't know what to say at this point.

Today I ran up the hill behind the house to go try and call some turkeys to the camera. I found where some gobblers left some fresh tracks in the snow so I was pretty pumped and hopefull to see some action!

Not 100yds past where I was gawking at those tracks right on the main trail, I almost tripped over this guy not 3ft in front of me before I noticed it! As soon as I seen this sucker I recognized it as a familiar buck I have some history with.... IT'S TUBBY!!!

Now if I could ever find where he's hiding those right side antlers I be the happiest shedder in the world!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Antlers- 6

Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 1

Dead doe/fawns- ?????

Edited by wooly
  • Like 5