Shooting a Pumpkin at 100 yards

fasteddie

The problem with this video is that it might encourage some less ethical & realistic "hunters" to take shots at this range.

And how far will the deer jump between the time it hears the noise of the shot & when the arrow arrives?

How much will wind, shot angle & other variable affct the POI?

Edited by wildcat junkie

Plenty of videos out there of guys killing big game at 70-100+ yards with archery equipment.

I think it's easier in an open prarie than it is out of a treestand. I say "think" because I have no clue. But I imagine those guys practice at that range. Not a whole lot of hardwoods giving good bow shots at that range.

• Like 1

practice with a regular bow and long shorts aren't hard especially at a non moving target .My good  friend got a  buck  this year at 70 in an open field with a pse x force dream season bow( I know how far it was as I was with him on the recovery). he practices that shot every night from his back door to a block target at the edge of the woods. nearly cut the deers heart in half. but as he said not possible in a woods.

• Like 1

A couple of things kind of jumped out at me with that video

First of all, the guy was shooting off-hand. No bipods, or prone shooting positions or anything like that. I did hear a pretty good wind going on too. That is some pretty darn good shooting.

On the negative side, what a frickin racket that thing makes. I would guess that you would be looking for deaf deer if you're going to use it for deer hunting. That is something that has to be designed out of that contraption.

What we don't know is whether the consistency is because of the weapon, or is this guy a product of a whole lot of practice and raw talent. I know that every time you see one of these videos, you will hear people pipe up, "Well, you can do that with a real bow too". But the fact is that 95% of all archers can't shoot that accurate and consistently at 100 yards or anywhere near that with a regular bow. Nobody is telling you how much or how little practice this guy has been doing to get to that proficiency. So I or anybody else knows whether that thing is a superior weapon to a regular bow. So is it a display of a deadly new style of weapon, or a display of a very talented shooter? We don't know. I know a lot of people who couldn't do that with their shotgun, off-hand ..... lol.

A couple of things kind of jumped out at me with that video

First of all, the guy was shooting off-hand. No bipods, or prone shooting positions or anything like that. I did hear a pretty good wind going on too. That is some pretty darn good shooting.

On the negative side, what a frickin racket that thing makes. I would guess that you would be looking for deaf deer if you're going to use it for deer hunting. That is something that has to be designed out of that contraption.

What we don't know is whether the consistency is because of the weapon, or is this guy a product of a whole lot of practice and raw talent. I know that every time you see one of these videos, you will hear people pipe up, "Well, you can do that with a real bow too". But the fact is that 95% of all archers can't shoot that accurate and consistently at 100 yards or anywhere near that with a regular bow. Nobody is telling you how much or how little practice this guy has been doing to get to that proficiency. So I or anybody else knows whether that thing is a superior weapon to a regular bow. So is it a display of a deadly new style of weapon, or a display of a very talented shooter? We don't know. I know a lot of people who couldn't do that with their shotgun, off-hand ..... lol.

I've seen lots of people that could't shoot offhand that consistantly with a CF rifle.

• Like 2

Now, take a normal scope-sighted horizontal crossbow, shot prone, and sporting a bipod, and maybe that shooting might not be quite as impressive. That would be fun to try.

Short, lightweight bolts from a crossbow might make it harder. They lose velocity faster than heavier full length arrows.

That bows been around for a while.....yep he has probably has taken that shot hundreds of times...probably so many times  he doesn't shoot that well at closer targets... ;)

one thing I noticed with the regular xbow...it launches the bolt so fast the noise doesn't matter the deer don't have enough time to even flinch....shooting off hand isn't hard either when you practice the front weight isn't that big a deal....

I love the verticle idea though...but the expensive xbows have cut down on the width problem of a xbow...

post-5805-0-65139400-1419599701_thumb.jpIt seems that there are some folks who get a little hung up on range alone, when it comes to "ethics" of taking a shot at "live" targets.  With a "dead" target, as long as the shot is safe, pretty much anything goes.   I would hope that guy would not take a 100 yard shot at a deer with that setup.  You can see and hear in the video that he falls a little short on at least two of the requirements. 

Besides range, here are the other variables, listed in order of importance, that I see when it comes to go or no-go for a long shot at a deer with a x-bow:  #1 What is the accuracy of the shooter x-bow combination?  He looks ok there. #2 What is the condition of the deer? Still, Alert, Distracted. Feeding, etc.  #3 What is the wind velocity and direction?  #4 How clear is the shot?  #5 How good is the rest?  #6 How loud is the x-bow?  #7 How good is the scope/sight?  #8 How does the broadhead perform at impact velocity? #9 How good is the lighting? #10 How is the retained energy & arrow penetration (should be thru)?   

#5 and #6 takes him out of the running on a deer based on what I see and hear on that video.  I believe I could do that easily to a pumpkin at 100 yards with my current setup (135 lb draw, 300 fps, horizontal x-bow) if I shot from a rest, but I know I come up short on #10, based on a 60 yard shot I took this year (see photo).  Fortunately, the 8" or so of penetration I got was enough to get thru the heart.  In the future I will think twice about taking a shot over 50 yards with that setup for that reason.  With his longer, heavier arrows, I am sure he has that one covered.   His failure on #6 makes it unlikely that a deer will be within 5 feet of where it was when his arrow is released at 100 yards however.     

If you watch any of the Dude Perfect videos you would think those guys never miss.

I will not go and say the person in this video is doing it but I'm sure there are some people who does these videos kept practicing at the same spot till they got it right. Once you move them to a different setup where the angle is slightly different and the target is 92 yards instead of a perfect 100, it becomes a slightly different story. A slight misjudgment at 20 yards is hardly noticeable. A slight misjudgment at 100 yards and it's very noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, so maybe it's time to put this thread back to the context that it started out at. Unless I missed it, this guy never said anything about hunting at that distance. He was not promoting that nor did I see where anyone here ever proposed that as any kind of a reasonable hunting shot. I looked at it all as a shooting exhibition (and a damn impressive one at that).

Maybe he should have stated somewhere in the video that the shots he was making were not intended to represent something that can or should be attempted for hunting situations in order to keep impressionable new-comers from thinking otherwise.

But when you look at it from the standpoint that was intended, the video is a very entertaining exhibition of crossbow shooting skill. One thing it does highlight is the repeatability of that weapon when placed into the proper hands.

• Like 1