Prep work right now

upstatehunter

Yea I have actually scouted 4 days already sinc the last day of muzzleloader.I want to get as much in before the snow gets really deep and its a pain.As soon as the snow starts to melt I will be back out again.I found a really great spot on my lease tonight that I always knew was there but didn't know how nice it was.Its a spot that is super thick but has a few openings in it so I went all through it tonight after work.I found 2 places that I will have a blind in place for next year

Actually as odd as this might sound.  I occupy myself with a few other hobbies and spend a lot of time with family.  I just built my kids a backyard hockey rink.  I have a problem when I get to obsessed about things, hunting and camp is one of them.  If it was my decision I can honestly say I'd be at camp often, working and scouting and whatever have you. 

However, I also realize there is a balance to life.  The spouse and I work 50 hours each.  We have two small children, my son is two and not ready for camp.  My camp is rough, difficult for some women and almost impossible for young children.  Working all week, seeing my wife for an hour or two, then catching up on some zzzzz's , finally Friday comes and you pack the vehicle and leave straight from work, won't see the family until Sunday night.  If this becomes the norm, well lets just say I'll have all the hunting time I want, my wife won't put up with it.  This long story does have a point.........................

My wife realizes I love it and wants to bring the kids with her so we can go down together all the time.  Currently,  I'm calculating a way to get water and electric immediately and possibly septic next year.  I just hate delaying and I sometimes get frustrated so I try not to think about it, kind of like, out of sight - out of mind.  Hopefully soon!!!

• Like 2

Yup. Pulled 4 stands today and will pull the rest tomorrow. I like to take them down and repaint, lube, and repair any that need it. Also hung 4 cams today so I can check for the survivors. I'll go through the woods and cut up downed trees and cut trees that need to be felled throughout the winter.

im starting a year long pattern of wind direction  on a map so i can see averages and change stand location based on that, i place cameras starting now till spring, im adding camo to my stands by drilling holes where i can put limbs in

I wanted to do this to see what wind direction the deer was using when it walks by the cam to get a better idea on how to set up on them

I try to stay out of most deer areas, this time of year. Want to give the chance for the bucks to visit the area to drop their antlers. I'll go back in, come a thaw in March. to look for those sheds , as well as scout. I did make one exception this year in one area, but had darn good reason to.

Actually, the deer in our area have developed little short circling escapes late in the hunting season. Unless the pressure is horrendous (which it is not), I have found that the deer tend to not run headlong through the woods anymore than they have to. They figure out that the farther they run, the more hunters they encounter. So I wouldn't worry too much about running the population out of the area by simply walking through and making scouting observations. That kind of light pressure means almost nothing compared with what they encountered during the two opening days of the season. That was traumatic .... lol. By now they have learned a few skills regarding avoiding people without heading for the next county.

Not until Late Jan-M arch...then when their food is winding down I go in and cut scrub trees/ damaged trees.....I hinge cut for bedding and survival browse. This year I have to cut wider trails for the gator..With over a Mile worth that now need widening I'll be busy...I also will work on the raised blinds...getting the platforms up. I have a few big trees I need to get down to open light to some trail plots...very important for changing movement patterns for up coming corn planting by farmers.

...I also will work on the raised blinds...getting the platforms up.

New guy here... Doing a lot of reading right now.... I get the sense a few of you guys are using ground blinds set up on platforms vs. a full 10' or higher box blind.... If so, I'd love to see some pics of your setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk