private land in other states..wish ny would do this

G-Man

I grew up near Lansing IL. There wern't any deer within miles & miles of those forest preserves in the '60s. How things change. I do remember seeing a deer in that area when I visited Chicago on business in the mid '80s.

This reminds me of the Noel Feather scandal years ago where state park areas were recognized in some of his videos.

Edited by wildcat junkie

You would think the TV show folks would be smart enough to do things legal .

You would think ..... lol. It all just points up the kinds of pressures these TV hunter-heroes are put under to produce. To them apparently it is no longer hunting, but just another job that has to meet the bottom line in terms of productivity. It is a shame that they have bastardized the sport to that extent, but this is not an isolated event and it shows how people react to peer pressure and how peer recognition and acceptance can drive perfectly normal people to do exceptionally bad things to achieve that. When we start measuring hunting success in inches of antler, this is a natural outfall of that mentality. Those participants are at fault, but likely some of the fault lies with the viewers who promote this sort of exploitation in the name of cash and hero-worship.

• Like 1

I like "Into High Country" & "Dropped". Both shows are about the experience itself & often the hunters don't connect. On one episode of IHC the host actually shot a Grizzly bear when the cameras weren't rolling. he did some footage of the bear after the fact.

How many times have you heard "we ran out of camera light" on the "trophy" shows? (even though it was still legal to shoot) On those shows, it's all about the $$$$.

Edited by wildcat junkie

You would think ..... lol. It all just points up the kinds of pressures these TV hunter-heroes are put under to produce. To them apparently it is no longer hunting, but just another job that has to meet the bottom line in terms of productivity. It is a shame that they have bastardized the sport to that extent, but this is not an isolated event and it shows how people react to peer pressure and how peer recognition and acceptance can drive perfectly normal people to do exceptionally bad things to achieve that. When we start measuring hunting success in inches of antler, this is a natural outfall of that mentality. Those participants are at fault, but likely some of the fault lies with the viewers who promote this sort of exploitation in the name of cash and hero-worship.

Recall the pressure, I assume, placed on a famous deer hunting couple to produce deer video from last year. She had a baby in September and she and her husband were BOTH in the woods in October to do their job of producing deer kill video. Of course, they brought everything to accommodate the newborn... large travel mobile home, plus separate trailer to haul not only the hunting gear, but the newborn stuff, plus a grandparent or two to help out. Plus a temporary electric pole meter service to hook the trailer up....I assume all paid for by the company sponsoring them.  Cannot recall the hunting couple's name...talk about pressure...

Was an interesting experience watching those first videos produced by realtree 20 plus years ago...not so much now.

Was an interesting experience watching those first videos produced by realtree 20 plus years ago...not so much now.

My earliest deer hunting video memory is "Bowhunting October Whitetails" by the Gene & Barry Wentzel along with their huntig buddies. That was about 1987 or so.

• Like 2

Yes that would suck. Doing something you love for a living. Seems to be new shows showing up every year so i guess there is no shortage of sportsmen lining up to take the position. 

If some think its bad now, i hate to see you in a couple few years. Ar,leased hunting lands,food plots,high fence...The future will be built around inches for most.

After I read the article, twice. I wanted to laugh. Not for the sake of humor, for the sake of being irritated. They probably aren't the first show to do this, but they got caught and charged. Now, it will give other people ideas.

Hope they get convicted and hammered to full extent.