In market for a newer bow

stoneam2006

Looking for some suggestions on a newer bow doesn't need to be brand new or top line something in the middle is what I'm looking for make under 400 used or so....i currently run a parker ultralite 31 and love it but have a opportunity to trade it for a rifle I Want something bad...so looks like I'll be shopping here after new year...figured I'd get some opinions here

I would consider a used elite in your price range - hunter, z28, GT500, pulse (6" brace).  All smooth shooting bows with a lifetime warranty even when purchased used.  Watch the ads on AT.  You need to know your DL before buying.  Good luck.  Its a buyer's market.

• Like 1

I would consider a used elite in your price range - hunter, z28, GT500, pulse (6" brace).  All smooth shooting bows with a lifetime warranty even when purchased used.  Watch the ads on AT.  You need to know your DL before buying.  Good luck.  Its a buyer's market.

YEP.  I was going to say the same about ArcheryTalk.com in the classifieds.  I've seen some amazing deals in there.

You could also comb Ebay for a few weeks and see what pops up.  Top end bows all over...most of them already set up and ready to go.

Good luck on what ever you end up with.

• Like 1

YEP.  I was going to say the same about ArcheryTalk.com in the classifieds.  I've seen some amazing deals in there.

You could also comb Ebay for a few weeks and see what pops up.  Top end bows all over...most of them already set up and ready to go.

Good luck on what ever you end up with.

dont look any further than archery talk, it is not a new york based website.  i recently just sold my bow on it purchased my new bow on the site as well and got a really good deal.  

• Like 1

Anything newer 330fps IBO, 32+ inch axle to axle, 6.5"+ brace height will be a sweet shooter. Bows like PSE bows can adjust draw length without buying anything else so you can pass it on or resell it easier.

I don't think it is the specs as much as the manufacturer. Certain brands tend to retain value better - which is odd because in general, bow resale sucks.

Elite, Mathews tend to do well (relatively speaking), Hoyt so-so....PSE I tend to see them have a hard time hold value.

• Like 1

Hands down AT is the number one sight for buying and selling new and used bows.

Just bought a 50/60 target red Elite Answer and the Bow arrived in pristine condition!

Look into an Athens bow, great shooter and comes with the lifetime, transferable warranty as well.

Around mid Jan-Feb is the time to look on ebay......a lot of small bow shops throw stuff on there to recover some lost profits.....most of the bows are sold ready to hunt as well if picking up from a small shop.

I don't think it is the specs as much as the manufacturer. Certain brands tend to retain value better - which is odd because in general, bow resale sucks.

Elite, Mathews tend to do well (relatively speaking), Hoyt so-so....PSE I tend to see them have a hard time hold value.

every bow is different even from the same manufacturer.  I definitely agree that certain brands hold value better but within reason.  as you said bow resale sucks. big time too.  worse than vehicles.  At his price range a Mathews bow isn't going to hold much more value for much longer.  we're talking the first handful of years the thing is in existence that it will.  I really haven't had much brand loyalty in the past so I've shot a lot of them, more money doesn't always equal a better bow.  I will say they are quality bows but it yea.... in general those specs I listed will give you the round of the mill hunting rig that has plenty speed but not enough to break into the less forgiving and slightly harsher drawing speed bow category.  you won't get burned canting the bow and can have nice anchor points too compared to your super short bows.  I've passed on a few bows and changing of draw length without worrying about ordering other modules or cams and strings is worth a lot especially the older the bow gets.

every bow is different even from the same manufacturer.  I definitely agree that certain brands hold value better but within reason.  as you said bow resale sucks. big time too.  worse than vehicles.  At his price range a Mathews bow isn't going to hold much more value for much longer.  we're talking the first handful of years the thing is in existence that it will.  I really haven't had much brand loyalty in the past so I've shot a lot of them, more money doesn't always equal a better bow.  I will say they are quality bows but it yea.... in general those specs I listed will give you the round of the mill hunting rig that has plenty speed but not enough to break into the less forgiving and slightly harsher drawing speed bow category.  you won't get burned canting the bow and can have nice anchor points too compared to your super short bows.  I've passed on a few bows and changing of draw length without worrying about ordering other modules or cams and strings is worth a lot especially the older the bow gets.

I'm not a huge fan of buying a bow on specs alone.

Testing out some bows you like and then shopping AT is a good practice. Sometimes you simply can't do that and need to rely on reviews though.