So my son got a $100 gift card from Dicks for Christmas....

Deerthug

Any factory loads, that you can think of, that kill as good. I took a few deer with 100grn core-lokts and was not that impressed. All good shots but they seemed to run quite a ways before crashing. A friend told me to try some kind of Nosler factory load (can't remember the name) but I never did.

I don't use factory ammo but if I did, this would be on the radar.........

Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 243 Winchester 80 Grain Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullet Boat Tail Lead-Free Box of 20

Product #: 538587 Barnes #: 21522 UPC #: 716876024384

I'm sure it would be a decent rifle. First thing I noted was it doesn't have the accu trigger and some times the trigger is set pretty tough. Cailber choice should always be up to the shooter and their ability to handle and shoot the weapon. I would also go with a bigger cailber at least a 270. I out grew my first rifle after the first 100 shots it felt.

My honest opinion is I would look past this deal unless it's the only thing that sticks out to you.

They have nice Savage rifles that come with a Nikon buckmaster scope and a accu trigger I think that would make for a more reliable and adjustable rifle with a better overall experience.

Good luck with you purchase.

I will see if the adult version fits him as compared to the youth. I don't know if I'm going with the 243 or the 7mm. We shall see tomorrow.

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

My neighbor upstate bought his granddaughter that same set up (243) this year. They are very pleased with the purchase. She also took a deer with it!

• Like 1

After an hour at Dicks talking to the surprisingly knowledgeable salesperson and having my son hold several rifles, we decided on the adult size Savage Axis XP in .270. It was on sale for $379. After a $100 gift card and a $10 coupon we got it for $269. Plus tax of course. Just missed getting a $50 mail in rebate by 2 days (ended on 12/31) It came with a Bushnell 3 x 9-40 basic scope. Picked up a box of 130 grain ammo. Hopefully we can get to the range this weekend.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 2

You can't go wrong for that price.  .270 was a MUCH better choice than the .243.  Why go with a low end caliber when you can get a more potent one for the same price?  People can argue until they are blue in the face that a .243 is great, but as is the case with any controversy, there are usually good reasons for it being controversial.  I much rather stick with a caliber where there AREN'T any arguments about it being effective for deer.  You have that with the .270 for sure!

You can't go wrong for that price.  .270 was a MUCH better choice than the .243.  Why go with a low end caliber when you can get a more potent one for the same price?  People can argue until they are blue in the face that a .243 is great, but as is the case with any controversy, there are usually good reasons for it being controversial.  I much rather stick with a caliber where there AREN'T any arguments about it being effective for deer.  You have that with the .270 for sure!

good choice, I would still consider starting off with managed recoil ammo from Remington...........if not for hunting at least for the range.

I have always held that a .270 or .30-06 without question are still the BEST choices of all when it comes to buying a deer rifle.  They carry plenty of punch and lots of ammo available for them, and you can find something in these calibers in any sporting goods store that carries ammo.  These days there has been a shortage of .308's and the 7MM-08 is still not nearly as popular, nor are there as many ammo choices for it like the .270 or .30-06.

130 was the lowest grain they had. I hope I don't scare my son off with the recoil on the 270. I've only shot a 30-06 and 12 ga. Never anything smaller. I assume the recoil is less than my 06 but more than the .243 we were looking at. Nevertheless i may borrow my brothers sled for this weekend to make it easier to sight it in.

130 was the lowest grain they had. I hope I don't scare my son off with the recoil on the 270. I've only shot a 30-06 and 12 ga. Never anything smaller. I assume the recoil is less than my 06 but more than the .243 we were looking at. Nevertheless i may borrow my brothers sled for this weekend to make it easier to sight it in.

in all seriousness, if recoil is a concern, hold off until you can get some managed recoil ammo....many times it's not so much the ammo but the gun that dictates the felt recoil, I made the mistake of buying my son a Ruger Hawkeye Ultralight in .308 and the recoil is brutal so we've stuck with the managed recoil stuff.........my brother has an Interarms .270 that makes my 30-06 feel like a .243........Getting a scope to the eye the first time you shoot a big bore rifle is not good.

Just have him practice holding it to his shoulder and do not let him trip the trigger unless he has a tight hold of it, he needs to be ready for the recoil not frightened of it.

Personally I think a light weight gun is too much for beginners, it translates to more felt recoil.

Damn good price on a hunting rig.

• Like 1

good price. I would also agree that until he gets comfortable shooting that gun I would certainly at minimum use the sled or get the reduced recoil ammo.  The last thing you want to do is get him to develop a flinch, its far easier to develop a flinch than to correct it.

the .270 is basically a 30-06 necked down to .27 cal, I can tell you that my .270 kicks just as hard as my 30-06.

I have a 270. and use Winchester 130 grain bullets. Recoil is smooth and there shouldn't be much problem handling it.

Well it looks like it's going to be a crappy rainy day tomorrow to head to the Calverton range which is uncovered and outside. Besides the uniondale range are there any other covered or indoor ranges on LI?

Edited by Deerthug

After an hour at Dicks talking to the surprisingly knowledgeable salesperson and having my son hold several rifles, we decided on the adult size Savage Axis XP in .270.

That there is a gem!

Regardless, good luck to you & your son!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Sounds like your son got a good deal. Just curious how much more would a trophy hunter or a axis 2 would have been? I have no problem with the axis as I think it's a great gun just don't like the trigger compared to a accu trigger

I don't know about the cost of the trophy hunter as I was only looking at the Axis XP for him. Didn't want to spend too much money right now.

Sounds like your son got a good deal. Just curious how much more would a trophy hunter or a axis 2 would have been? I have no problem with the axis as I think it's a great gun just don't like the trigger compared to a accu trigger

Street price for the AXIS-II is about $430.

After an hour at Dicks talking to the surprisingly knowledgeable salesperson and having my son hold several rifles, we decided on the adult size Savage Axis XP in .270. It was on sale for $379. After a $100 gift card and a $10 coupon we got it for $269. Plus tax of course. Just missed getting a $50 mail in rebate by 2 days (ended on 12/31) It came with a Bushnell 3 x 9-40 basic scope. Picked up a box of 130 grain ammo. Hopefully we can get to the range this weekend.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone.

Good choice……….

• Like 1