Looks like there may just be statewide Antler Restricts.

Four Season Whitetail's

Your good if you can ell exactly how old a deer is or that it is 15 wide or more when it is cruising through the woods......I can't tell on point half the time......I always love the, I had a 9 point run past me at 100......your good if you can count points when they are running

Yeah, & it's always an odd number. not like they saw 4 points on 1 side & asumed it was an 8-point.

Who on God's Green Earth are you to question what anybody should or shouldn't shoot?

Is there something really special about shooting a 2.5, 3.5 or older buck? Just bragging rites? How many mounts do you have/want? Lets say you get to a point where you don't need any more bucks mounted and hanging in your house, then what, quit hunting bucks altogether? Just antlerless hunting right?

What about guys that can't afford to mount a big buck, maybe they'll just nail up the 140" horns to the side of the barn. Is that OK? Maybe a guy just wants to shoot a 4pt and stick the horns on the side of his barn, is there shame in that?

What's wrong with a "Buck of A Lifetime"? You know, kill what you want (legally of course) when you want and then maybe once in a while you shoot a "Big Buck". That just might be the choice of many NYS hunters.

One more thing, don't ever say about fork horns or doe "They're easy to kill". That is a slap in the face to many of the deer hunters of New York State that aren't as successful as you.

Way to go off the deep end. Twice I in my question I stated it was an honest question out of curiosity. I guess I didn't realize I had to "be someone" to ask a question on an Internet discussion board. A few of the answers helped enlighten me. Not sure why you had to to freak out.

And yes, on some properties it is easy. Not trying to put you down, just stating a fact.

Edited by Belo

Way to go off the deep end. Twice I in my question I stated it was an honest question out of curiosity. I guess I didn't realize I had to "be someone" to ask a question on an Internet discussion board. A few of the answers helped enlighten me. Not sure why you had to to freak out.

And yes, on some properties it is easy. Not trying to put you down, just stating a fact.

Passion my friend, passion.

:)

Lawdwaz - love that reply......if they were easy why isn't everyone killing a deer

Because some people aren't good at it lol. Harvesting a mature buck isn't easy. Harvesting a yearling on the right property is. Harvesting any deer on some public land or up north is hard. Not all hunters are equal in skill or have the access to good land. Hunting is great because it's not easy without some effort. But if you can't kill a deer in some of the southern zone counties you're probably doing something wrong. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth. We're not all created equal. Get over it.

Just because there are more mature bucks in a general area, doesn't mean they are going to walk by your stand. Any deer is going to gravitate towards covert that has less hunting pressure. 1 guy per 30 acres is fine if it is hunted a few times all season, but it would be really easy to burn out 30 acres if that was the only place you hunted and sat there more than 5 times all season, especially if wind is not taken into consideration and no scent control is practiced. A lot of hunters get into the habit of hunting the same old stand every time, which all deer pick up on very quickly. There could be 10 mature bucks per square mile and an overhunted property could be a big buck dead zone because it is overhunted.

I have about 6 different properties I can hunt near my house, with woods/brush covering 1-80 acres. I don't recall hunting any one of those spots more than 3-4 times last season. I had one chance at a mature 8 but let him go. That was it.

You don't need many acres to kill a mature buck though, it just has to be hunted properly. If

The Lakosky and Drury TV-types among other things, are really good at managing pressure, i.e. hunting individual stands sparingly, scent control (I'm not talking about ozonics either), hunting the wind, etc.

Monster 10 on my 5 acre spot last year. Didn't pick the right days but he was by the stand during shooting hours. That's hunting...

Monster 10 on my 5 acre spot last year. Didn't pick the right days but he was by the stand during shooting hours. That's hunting...

I almost got a really big buck last year too, and almost a really big bear as well...........I just chose to be there on different days then them.

Edited by jjb4900

Huh? Grow a set if you want to try and call someone out, and take some responsibility. You called me a jackass, why because I told you no one cares about your law breaking mullet sporting self? 1. You brag about breaking the law all the time. 2. You sport a mullet. Not name calling that's facts jack.

You delusions and attention whoring are getting worse by the day, I feel sad for you.

Trust me i have all the pair i need. To play your little name calling game is you swung first First its a childish mullet comment( Really, How childish is that) and now you ad in law breaker on this one. LOL. When the fact is, you know ...... You called me a name you believe is a fact and i did just the same. We can all tell what your problem with me is and you are not alone. Someday you may earn the same,.

Why don't you ever post fork horns on your website?

Such a hypocrite

I post what people send to me... there are plenty of small deer on the site if you look... what does that have to do with a slap in the face?

Edited by nyantler

I post what people send to me... there are plenty of small deer on the site if you look... what does that have to do with a slap in the face?

His comment was getting on me for calling out fork horns. You said I needed a slap in the face. What's hard to figure out? You can't have a website full of big racks and then get upset if someone asks an honest question about why people shoot small bucks.

His comment was getting on me for calling out fork horns. You said I needed a slap in the face. What's hard to figure out? You can't have a website full of big racks and then get upset if someone asks an honest question about why people shoot small bucks.

My comment was directed at him and his statement and had nothing to do with you. In fact, it was meant in your defense. Obviously that was too hard for YOU to figure out... my website has nothing to do with anything... I promote nothing... I post ALL the pictures and stories sent to me.. there is no selection process... therefore no hypocrisy. My website is strictly entertainment for those that want to participate... it has nothing to do with what, where, when or why I hunt... what in Gods name gives you any idea that something on this forum could possibly upset me... LOL... it's a stupid forum for crying out loud... just people talking... none of it is important.. it's just entertainment for me. But obviously very important to you.. LMAO

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 3

The Lakosky and Drury TV-types among other things, are really good at managing pressure, i.e. hunting individual stands sparingly, scent control (I'm not talking about ozonics either), hunting the wind, etc.

Sam, no offense but I find it hard to believe that managing pressure or hunting a pressured property is a problem often faced by many of the hunters on tv.

Edited by Skillet

I have been hunting successfully for the better part of 25 years ,, I have a garage wall of all the racks that I have taken over the years ,,, spike horns , one side Clyde , forks , six points etc... I can look at each one of those and remember the place ,time and property also the people or hunting story that goes with each one ...I have let 1 1/2 walk and have got all bent out of shape trying to shoot one ... Hunting is such a personal experience that to say shooting of a spike 1 1/2 old deer is so easy,,, is just wrong,,,, hunting and what is considered a trophy is done only by the person hunting..

• Like 7

My point was that it's possible on small plots of land. I thought that was obvious.

JHC is that a pretty simple statement. 

Of course it is possible, what do you think, that 3.5 year old buck just hunkers down on a little 10 acre piece and doesn't move off it?

They certainly don't follow property lines.  They're wild animals, you sure as hell aren't going to predict or keep them on a 10 or 200 acre piece.  They can pass through anytime at all and you just have to bi the right place/right time.  Don't kid yourself............

Maybe there is a little confusion here........I'm not talking opening day, Thanksgiving etc. 

How about the third week?  Piece of cake to shoot a 1.5 old buck or a doe? How about that last weekend?

Easy as pie huh?

I have been hunting successfully for the better part of 25 years ,, I have a garage wall of all the racks that I have taken over the years ,,, spike horns , one side Clyde , forks , six points etc... I can look at each one of those and remember the place ,time and property also the people or hunting story that goes with each one ...I have let 1 1/2 walk and have got all bent out of shape trying to shoot one ... Hunting is such a personal experience that to say shooting of a spike 1 1/2 old deer is so easy,,, is just wrong,,,, hunting and what is considered a trophy is done only by the person hunting..

There is nothing wrong with someone saying that killing a younger buck is easy... in fact, I am saying it... at least I'm saying it is for me.. it is not the same for everybody. It is easy for some guys to kill deer and harder for others... that's just the truth... not good or bad just true.  Nothing wrong with the truth.. except some people have a tough time with it. I find it difficult to dunk a basketball, Lebron James thinks it's easy... is he wrong? No, the truth is that most 5' 10 white guys can't dunk a basketball.. so I wouldn't see it as a "slap in the face" if Lebron James said it was easy. Because for him it is!!

post-525-0-27366300-1420768388.gif

Maybe there is a little confusion here........I'm not talking opening day, Thanksgiving etc. 

How about the third week?  Piece of cake to shoot a 1.5 old buck or a doe? How about that last weekend?

Easy as pie huh?

um... yup... the hard part is the drag

• Like 1

Sam, no offense but I find it hard to believe that managing pressure or hunting a pressured property is a problem often faced by many of the hunters on tv.

I'm not saying they hunt heavily- pressured public land, more that they don't sit in the same old stand every day, regardless of wind direction, while smoking a cig and drinking coffee.

• Like 3